don't click here

Tails AI Hack Idea

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Banoon, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Before you say anything, I realize there is very little chance this can be done, but this is a pretty good idea, and like most pretty good ideas, they deserve to be heard.

The idea I suggest involves both hacking Sonic 3, and hacking AI, both of which I'm pretty sure are very rare.

The idea came to me when I was playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles with my brother (Sonic & Tails co-operation mode). My brother was playing as Tails, and being the silly boy he is, he decided to use his flying powers to carry me into every hole, spike, and enemy he possibly could. So our idea was that for whatever reason (possessed? Tails robot?), Tails decides to turn on Sonic and do whatever he can to make his adventure as excruciatingly difficult as possible. Basically, Tails' AI would be hacked to constantly carry Sonic into the nearest enemies and spikes, as well as keeping him away from bonuses like the flag after beating a mini-boss. However, with being dragged into enemies, Sonic has a chance to hit them too - adding a whole new dimension to the game.

The idea could be done on Sonic 2, I guess, but only if you're willing to make Tails fly, as well as be able to carry Sonic.
    And yes, I am aware that this is pretty much impossible, but it's just an idea; just something to think about. Something to shake the very foundation of Sonic hacking to its very core. And besides, it's cool.

2. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    The only thing I see wrong with the concept is, considering how easy it is to lose Tails in the game normally, I can't see him posing much of a threat even with such ill intentions. I mean, you have to jump for him to pick you up in the first place.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Haha, that actually sounds hilarious and interesting. Would take some rather complicated path-finding algorithms to make Tails do what you describe, and coding them in ASM would be quite a challenge. If possible however I have a feeling it would be easier to port the tails object into Sonic 2 and work on it in there since Sonic 3(&K) is more difficult to modify.

4. I like the overall concept, but how about you play as tails, and have to bring sonic to his ultimate demise?

5. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Not true. Many times my brother's been able to pick me up without jumping - and since this will be AI it should be easier.

I know, but Sonic 2 is way too linear for something like this. Not enough alternate paths or having to turn around.

Even better! I never thought of it that way :P

6. Flygon

Flygon

Doesnt tail's current AI take up much of the CPU as it is? If I recall correctly from some background effects thread, disabling Tails made the game lag much less because the CPU had much more free time, unless I recall incorrectly.

7. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    Mmmm....could be quite hillarious and a challenge at the same time, but I think you should make tails much faster, so stop it being too easy for Sonic to outrun the screen.

8. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Also adding to the point Tails doesn't even appear in some levels in S2 or S3.

9. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    It's definetely possible. Maybe an extended Tails path finding algorithm could be written, one that doesn't only calculate the path to Sonic, but to the desired object (so it's usable for Sonic and enemies, too). The hardest part would be finding the path to the pits (it's layout, not objects). Unless you *added* an object where bottomless pits are.
    This is a good idea, anyway, even if a bit odd, but yeah, Robotnik's Revenge's a bit odd but it was very well received.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    It wouldnt be hard to have a AI where tails follows Sonic closesly and doesn't lose him as much. Sonic 2 beta, and Sonic advance had this. It was done by having Tails mimic the controller presses in real time, or something.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, and look how crap Tails' AI was as a result. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.