don't click here

Super Mario XR(temporary title)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GasparXR, Apr 19, 2009.

1. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    So, for quite a while now, I've been working on a hack of Super Mario World, tentatively titled Super Mario XR. Right now it's a vanilla hack, meaning no ASM edits, ExGFX, no custom music(bar the title screen), no editing of resources overall. Just level and overworld edits, and some other minor edits. (Level names, message boxes etc.)

I have two videos so far, of the same level. First video was when it was still a WIP, second video shows it in its finalized form.

SMXR - Green Island 1
    SMXR - Green Island 1 Updated

Suggestions for a the hack or a new name are welcome, as are Comments & Constructive Criticism.

EDIT: Though it's technically a vanilla hack, I'm using icegoom's SMW Redrawn hack as a basis for the graphics, which anyone can use, which is available along hundreds of other hacks at SMWCentral.

06/06/09 UPDATE: Hack is now completely vanilla, meaning no edited graphics, no ExGFX, no custom blocks/sprites, and no custom music. Only edited levels and overworld.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    For a name, how about Luscious Isle.
    As for the game, it looks good, but the Koopa look odd. Almost as if they're high.

3. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Eh, it doesn't really fit the story(which you get a glance of in the second video), but thanks for the suggestion.

Also, check the edit in the first post. =P

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    They still look somewhat high. However, it's better, and I can accept those Koopa sprites.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm not a fan of the font you're using for all the text at all, it's hard to read. Is it a placeholder?

Your level layout seems fine, and the art is nice - I especially liked the bones section underground =P Maybe a little difficult for a first level, or is the aim for a harder-than-SMW game?

6. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    If it's really that hard to read, I suppose I could edit it.

Yes, I'm aiming it to be harder than SMW, though not by a whole lot. I actually have a level where you fly over the whole thing in the works for maybe World 2 or 3. =P

7. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    It looks pretty good. The art is pretty nice, but the enemies don't quite look as good as the backgrounds. Also, I agree with Overlord on the text.

8. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    New screens. :eng101:

[​IMG]
    Omg a star.

[​IMG]
    Omfg another star.

[​IMG] (He's invincible there, it's just I captured the image when he was on this frame.)
    Zmog yet another star.

So yeah, you run through this whole level with a star chain. Correction, you CAN run through with a star chain. I'm making it so there's seperate paths you can take depending on if you still have a star or not. I haven't really added enemies to the level yet, it's still being worked on.

9. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    UPDATE: Hack is now completely vanilla, meaning no edited graphics, no ExGFX, no custom blocks/sprites, and no custom music. Only edited levels and overworld.

I will have a demo ready eventually, just don't expect a date. I'm working on other stuff right now at the same time, like my first flash movie and also working on getting a demo out for an RMVX RPG.

EDIT: New screenzorz

[​IMG]
    Short underground section. The block contains a Blue P-switch that you bring back up, but what for? :O

[​IMG]
    Land section. I'm horrible at taking pictures so I didn't get the bullet bill flying by. And I'm lazy so I didn't bother trying to take it again. =P

10. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Copypaste from SMWCentral thread. And before you say anything, the slopes are NOT broken. What happens in the SMW engine is that when the edge of a slope and a right-facing side of a ledge are at the same spot, it appears like that. I could change the graphic of course, but I suck at art editing(and any form of visual arts in general). The collision for them is fine, you can't go through the side at all unless you use some really fucked up cheat code that disables solidity.

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    The corners on your slopes are broken; I suggest you fix them

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Why would you take out all the graphics..? They looked nice

13. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Holy fuck this is like the third time somebody said that.

They are fixed. What happens in the SMW engine is that when the edge of a slope and a right-facing side of a ledge are at the same spot, it appears like that. I could change the graphic of course, but I suck at art editing(and any form of visual arts in general). The collision for them is fine, you can't go through the side at all unless you use some really fucked up cheat code that disables solidity.

14. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Although the background graphics were nice, sorry but I'm not a big fan of most of the other sprites. The level layout, at least for Green Island 1, was nice though! Good luck with your project!

Actually, some time ago I hacked Mario World out of the blue because I happened to be playing it and started complaining about how I don't like the Goombas in that game; sure, I guess they're supposed to be another species of Goombas, but they just look like angry apples to me. So I made my own 100% original Goomba sprites based on the standard species.

15. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    The graphics were reverted to the originals quite a while ago if you read the whole thread. :v:

Thanks.

Haha that's cool, I've always wondered about those round Goombas too, very strange...

Because they were annoying the living fuck out of me. :psyduck:

16. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I did, but I thought you might appreciate more feedback, in case you decide to eventually go back to using custom graphics.