don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2012

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ba-bump

Now might be a good time to start looking at potential hotels if we're gonna do the all-in-one-spot thing.

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Anyone who is looking to book a hotel, you might find one of these links useful.

I haven't actually checked them out myself, mind, since I'm not sure I'll even be going

3. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Bump

Anyone? =P I'll note the accomadation has got quite pricey, likely because it's so damn late now. I think at this point it'll have to be everyone for themselves, it's entirely possible it'll all be gone otherwise. I've just booked mine now.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    When is the last wave supposed to start? They want people to be able to book hotels don't they?

5. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Thanks for that, you just saved me ?15 :)

Orenge and I have finally managed to get our hotel room. Overlord's right, you guys need to get in there now if you're gonna get a hotel anywhere near the venue. We're a 20 minute walk away and that's the closest we could get; better than nothing though.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Y'all had better start planning the second day as well since it doesn't look like I'll be getting a ticket. Hopefully it won't be too backbreaking to travel to Brighton and back on a Sunday...

7. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Well, we were thinking about that as well - theoretically there's nothing to stop us having Sunday in London, most of us will be travelling through there to get home on Sunday anyway, depends on how it pans out.

Regardless - judging by people who I've spoken to so far, I think this is also a realistic opportunity - who fancies a Retro Breakfast somewhere on Saturday morning? =P Dependent on start time, if it's early enough this might be doable. Even moreso Sunday.

8. My current situation has left me considering to come down to London on the Sunday for Retro Barcade run and skip the SoS element. Dilly-Dallying around for tickets and accommodation for an event which I honestly would say I'm not 100% devoted to doesn't feel all right. I would have more fun, and value for money, simply visiting London.

9. Nova

Nova

Well, I've mentioned the bus service in the town before so I'd better give it a quick promo here again.

When you are in Brighton/Hove, be advised: the bus service is insanely cheap and is running all the time. If you want to take advantage of maximum savings, I highly suggest you dash into a newsagent/high street store and buy a 'daily saver ticket'. These bad boys cost £3 each roughly and they entitle one person each to ride the Brighton & Hove buses all day. This means you can travel in and to Brighton, Lewes, Uckfield, Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells all day for £3.

PROTIP: DO THIS ON SUNDAY. If we end up having the Sunday in Brighton I will be taking you guys into Brighton city centre so these tickets will be extremely useful.

However, for this reason, I myself will not be booking a hotel - the earliest bus from Uckfield is at around 6:30am on Saturday so I can be in Brighton for around 7:15. Sunday's first bus is about 8:30, so I'll be there by 9:30 on Sunday.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just letting you know that the last wave of tickets will be released on Friday 22nd June at 6PM BST.
    140 tickets are up for grabs, two people per group.

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Whoops! Looks like I've triple-booked myself for the weekend! Oh well, not like I had a chance for a ticket anyway. You'll just have to do without me this year!

12. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You'll be missed, you know that. =P

Hopefully we'll see you at a Barcade soon!

13. 43 Seconds this time also said no to me.

So yeah, next time folks, or whenever a massive barcade run happens in London. Wasn't entirely devoted to the idea of traveling to Brighton anywho (Sorry Nova!)

This year feels like a "We're doing this even because we have to and have done for the previous few years" instead of possibly taking the approach of "Because of olympics, and lack of a large venue, we're giving it a miss and making NEXT year extra extra special".

Then again that could just be me being cynical...

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Did anyone manage to get tickets in Wave 3 who'd failed on the last 2 runs from Retro?

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Guys, what do you wanna do about the Sunday? London or Brighton? Just wondering because it's gonna make it easier for us all to arrange travel.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    To be honest, I'd prefer London simply as there'll be more to do & it means almost all of us have done some of our journey home already that morning =P Though we'd better all be on the same train up there if we do! =)

17. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    LDN is AOK.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    London sounds good to me (lol of course it does).

I know people are going to hotels on the Friday, but what time are people meeting up on Saturday? As I'll try to get the super-early train and meet you all there at that time.

19. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
  20. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Jen and I are all for this Sunday Barcade run to take place in London. So the majority vote goes to London it seems. Assuming most (if not all) of you haven't gotten a train ticket to go from Brighton to London just yet, we could all group up on Sunday morning and get on the train to London. We just need to pick a time. There's a train service that's been suggested to ease the burden of spending too much on a train ticket.

According to the Summer of Sonic site, if you're going to Brighton from London and vice-versa, they've suggested to take the Southern Railway service going from London Victoria to Brighton and vice-versa. They run every 20-40mins and are dirt cheap (especially with the online discount). Here's what I've searched up so far for our Sunday event.

Southern Railway

Sunday July 8 - From: Brighton To: London Victoria

08:00 09:17 0 1:17hrs [£4.00 Adult Single] [£2.65 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    08:40 09:33 0 0:53hrs [£4.00 Adult Single] [£2.65 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    09:00 10:17 0 1:17hrs [£4.00 Adult Single] [£2.65 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    09:40 10:33 0 0:53hrs [£4.00 Adult Single] [£2.65 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    10:00 11:18 0 1:18hrs [£4.00 Adult Single] [£2.65 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    10:40 11:33 0 0:53hrs [£6.00 Adult Single] [£3.95 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    11:00 12:17 0 1:17hrs [£6.00 Adult Single] [£3.95 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount
    11:40 12:33 0 0:53hrs [£8.00 Adult Single] [£5.30 Adult Railcard Single] *online discount

It's a good idea seeing as the London Victoria Train Station isn't very far from where we normally meet up whenever we have a Barcade run. Failing that, pick a time when we could meet up at the usual meeting spot in London.