don't click here

Summer of Sonic 2012

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Nova

Nova

Brighton is basically my doorstep and because of the bus service, I end up there quite a lot anyway - once the hotel is sorted, let me know and I will try and organize a fun Retro UK Sunday!

Can't wait!

2. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Fine, I will do this thing that you ask of me.

Also Crush 40 will be there.

3. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
  4. Nova

Nova

Stoked to hear Crush 40 are going to be back - I have some RL friends who are really interested in coming this year, too. This has just made the deal all the sweeter for them.

So guys, what kind of things do we want to do on the Sunday? Arcades? Drinking? Shopping? I'm up for anything, really - was thinking possibly Spoon's, as there are a few arcades directly opposite, but everyone's input would be appreciated.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I was thinking we'd leave that until the first wave of tickets is over on Sunday =P It's entirely possible to go to Londonduring the day from Brighton and do stuff there, depends on what people feel like doing.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I wonder if Sega would ever be so adventurous as to have a Summer of Sonic and Sonic Boom going down at the exact same time. Granted, with the time difference (about eight hours), Boom would need to start really early.

However, it'd be neat to have a U.S. vs. U.K. element in terms of live contests. The planning and coordination would need to be so exact and down pat, though.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You could have a link-up with a live passover from SoS to Boom, though. There's a timeslot there you could use for something =P

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    They sold out in, what, 12 seconds?

I woke up specially for this, and failed miserably. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

9. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Holy SHIT. 400 tickets in 3 minutes, I don't believe it. Doesn't seem very fair to me. Orenge and I have our tickets but it's annoying to think that some of our friends couldn't get theirs...

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    You know, if it's the case that some of us miss out on tickets, we could always just go to Brighton anyway and have a mass orgy a ripping good time in the pub arcades

11. No luck here fyi.

12. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Managed to grab two for me and my girlfriend, if I had put my mobile number instead of my home one I probably would have missed out as they ran out seconds after I got the confirmation e-mail!

Darn, quite a lot of my best mates I don't get to meet up with often missed out, hope everyone can grab some from the 2nd wave quick enough. GOTTA GO FAST I guess.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I got in as well, but considering 1000 tickets took 5 hours to go last year, 400 going in 3 minutes is insane! If this had been last year, where I wasn't aware right at the start, I wouldn't have got in.

Holy BALLS.

How bad do you think the second wave will be?

14. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    In all honesty I think the second wave will actually be worse than the first one, the demand is going to be ridiculous now that everyone knows how quickly the first wave went.

I'm sorry but I think the whole thing is a joke. When this convention was announced we were told that there would be a venue to hold -AT LEAST- 2,000 people (http://www.summerofsonic.com/news/pre-announcement-location-and-tickets). Then we're told it's just over 800, which is actually less than last year. Considering that the convention has grown in size every single year, this seems like an insane decision to me. To then announce CRUSH 40 and only release 400 tickets... I knew they'd all go fast but I didn't think it'd be 3 minutes. It's not right. Demand was always going to be high and so more tickets should have been available.

15. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Not that I'm sour about this or anything, but that was rubbish. Not convinced of the expected value of the next 2-minute lottery at all.

16. Nova

Nova

Anyone got any guesses as to when the second wave will go out? There's no way I'm missing out on a Brighton-based SoS.

I'm just hoping they're doing less tickets so that more people who haven't reserved can get in. Trying to remain as optimistic as possible. :/

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    That's not really impressive, it's more a joke. Yes the other facilities (hello bar~!) sound rather nice, but Brighton's massive. Surely they could've found a bigger venue without much difference in cost. Like maybe privately renting a nightclub? Then you've got the day and the afterparty sorted.

Mind you, on second thought 870 may just refer to the seating capacity, and they may be able to squeeze another hundred or so in there before the Health and Safety Executive gets its knickers in a knot ;)

18. Nova

Nova

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf9Ua7U9BB8[/youtube]

Oh, just heard this year is also ticket-only. This describes my feelings perfectly.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I haven't laughed so hard in a good while. Thank you, good sir.

Also, lawl no ticket here either. On to wave 2~

20. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    There's now a post on the official SoS website about the ticket situation: http://www.summerofsonic.com/news/wave-1-of-tickets-gone-in-180-seconds

Apparently details of wave 2 will be announced next week...