don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    All 3 games shared basic enemy types, 2 and 3 were especially similar. We don't have a solid release date yet, nor unscripted gameplay footage. I think there'll be more enemy types when they feel they need to show more gameplay.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Pretty sure there wasn't a police enemy with a cyber riot shield you had to fight before.

[​IMG]

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's sufficiently evocative of Megadrive-era Streets of Rage in these new batch of screens and this new build, almost like this new version was a direct response to the initial lukewarm reaction that the game wasn't "Streets of Rage" enough - and these guys have profound love for the original series and thus know what they're doing. They even name checked the Streets of Rage Remake in a recent interview.

Confirmation of Yuzo Koshiro on the soundtrack in some form, hopefully the entire thing - and this'll be a fantastic new instalment.

4. Xilla

Xilla

I've noticed on the recently posted juggle GIF that Axel seems to pull off all 3 of his jumping attacks in a single motion. He goes from his Down+B knee attack, to his standing jumping high kick, to his directional jumping kick.

Wonder if this is a new gameplay mechanic of sorts or if they've made a mistake here (hopefully the former).

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom

Some new gameplay.
    Looking good, I hope they announce the platforms soon though

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It doesn't feel like these characters have much personality. It's excusable for a 25-year-old Mega Drive game but they don't look much like humans here. Could do with more transitional animations and more activity in the background too.

It's not entirely fair to judge the graphics because things will look better when a HUD is added, but it's not leaping off the screen and saying "buy me".

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Again these backgrounds are way too static and makes the game look unpolished and a dull affair.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Anyone noticed the translucent silhouettes behind Axel and Blaze at the end of the trailer? Two possible 3 more characters, and they all look new or are some seriously radical redesigns.

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'd assume redesigns given that the characters are supposed to be older in this one - I've seen speculation that the cyborg/topknot guy on the right is a redesigned Dr. Zan, and that the dreads/guitar one on the left is possibly a grown-up Skate; the latter could well be a new character instead, but personally I'm placing my bets in the Zan camp for the former as it seems a little strange to introduce yet another cyborg character when a perfectly good one already exists. If it is him, though, the chunkiness suggests he's a little more low-tech looking this time around - it's possible that without the Syndicate's resources he's had to make do with whatever he can put together when his body needs repair, or he's just been redesigned to look more consistent with a lot of the other robot tech seen in the series so far.

If the one on the left does turn out to be Skate, given the whole guitar thing it'll be interesting to see whether or not he even still uses roller-skates or has a completely different fighting style now. If the latter, presumably he'll be known as "Eddie" in English versions of the game rather than by his old nickname. Assuming a Japanese release is on the cards, the issue wouldn't even rear its head over there as he's been known as "Sammy" since his introduction - no idea why they changed his real name for the English versions, particularly since as far as I can recall it's not mentioned in-game in the localised releases.

10. Xilla

Xilla

IIRC Eddie was going to be his localized in-game name (there's a few screenshots showing this) but was changed to Skate late on.

Hopefully if Zan is in, he plays better than he did in 3. The original proto design was way better looks-wise but from the one video we have featuring it, was very clunky animation wise. His standing special looked like he was being attacked by ferrets!

There's a muscular character with his back turned above Axel and Blaze too, I'm guessing Max. Would be interesting to see how they redesigned him, given his profession there's several ways they could go with it.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oh shit, you're right - totally missed that third one in the background. Left-to-right, it's gotta be Skate, Max and Zan then, surely?

Would be great to see Adam too, but realistically if he was in I think we'd be seeing him teased now along with these silhouettes (unless he was some sort of secret unlockable character or something...)

Speaking of which - am I the only one hoping they go down the Streets of Rage 3 route of being able to unlock a few of the boss characters as playable fighters?

EDIT: For anyone wondering if the music in the trailer is indicative of the in-game music, this Kotaku article suggests probably not - they've played a current demo which is described as still using placeholder tracks, suggesting music isn't finalised at this point. Here's hoping they're trying to get Yuzo Koshiro on board in that department...!

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I expect him as DLC.

13. Xilla

Xilla

I'm hoping they give us the option to switch between classic and modern sfx/voices myself.

14. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I they can't get Yuzo Koshiro for whatever reason, the easiest solution is to just include a "use your own music" option =P

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I want to really like this, but there's a voice in my head that says "I don't like the look of this."
    Same with Windjammers 2. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

Visuals aside, the gameplay is looking good! Excited to see how it all turns out in the end.

16. Vixel

Vixel

GameXplain shared their impressions of the PAX demo at the beginning of the video, and they are extremely positive, which is reassuring. The way the special moves work sounds very interesting as well, and apparently the devs are aiming to make this entry longer compared to the previous ones.

http://youtu.be/2b1jdyTmmkc

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels there's something not quite right in the new Windjammers.

18. Xilla

Xilla

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fair play, it looks better than that teaser trailer. But I stick by my "Streets of Rage HD Remix" comment - it's a conservative affair (which might be what people want idk).

I almost got excited there were slight variations in enemy sizes, until I realised the screen is at an angle.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Looks good though I do have some gripes. Blaze's super looks really naff, I would expect that as a healing super not an offensive super. It also looks like the attacks in the game are just the legacy one button combo which I was kinda hoping this game would move away from like having a punch, kick, grab and jump button on the face buttons as then you could formulate a game plan with your combos which would keep the game interesting.