don't click here

Streets of Rage 3 available for iOS

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Skyler, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Cool, the best game in the series is out. :)

I wish I had an iPhone, it'd be fun to play SOR3 at work.

Yeah, they're probably homophobic. They definitely didn't remove him to prevent their game from being controversial or anything. :rolleyes:

2. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Well, the only good things about the US version were a few graphical and technical tweaks (not costume changes, but others things such as Shiva's playable version getting an electrocution animation and Bike sparks always being yellow regardless of color.)

And yes, I'm well aware that Ash being controversial played a part in it too, but mostly because it would probably lead to mass homophobia and offending homosexuals maybe. I dunno. He is a stereotype. Plus, this was 1994. Hell, they're still doing it so it was a rather poor excuse. They could have probably kept Ash in, just changed him into a chick, or make him look.... less....well...gay.

There's actually a full list of changes on SOR Online for those interested:
    http://soronline.eden2-book.com/sor3_sor3vsbk3.htm

There's actually a bunch more changes in there that most people don't really notice because they don't really take the time to look. While I do think it was good Sega of America fixed a few things such as Bike spark colors, Giving Shiva a new animation frame for electrocution, and making the Bike physics work correctly when you knock the Storm/Wheels punk off of them, the difficulty can make the game less enjoyable than it's supposed to be for some.

Others don't really care, but a majority of fans prefer BKIII though they don't like the good ending because they have a tendency to be stubborn in accepting Mr.X's death and the inconclusive ending when you beat Shiva at City Hall/ The White House further complicates things since Mr.X is seen alive but it's unknown if it's actually him, or another Robo X or somebody posing as him. I personally think this scene means nothing to the actual story. It's just saying "Hey you, Mr.X is still out there in some shape or form. Play the game again and save the fucking General/Chief of Police you cold hearted douchebag" Hence why this ending has no credits in either the US or Japanese version.

Hell, Mr.X being alive in that scene makes it plausible for another game starring him but that would be pretty lame IMO. I mean, I think the SOR series needs a new villain, but one with connections to the former syndicate leader in some ways. That would give an SOR 4 a fresh and better start than making up an excuse to bring back Mr.X for the sake of fan service.

I'm being a hypocrite since my SORMaker Mod kind of has him coming back but it at least tries to explain things somewhat and I only did that because of the program's limitations. Mr.X has supposedly died 3 times now... Is he a fucking zombie or something? XD

The main issue here though is the inconisistent storyline for me. If they would have kept the story then the rest of the censorship wouldn't matter to me really. (except for maybe some of the voice effects. They were all pretty lame in SOR 3. Though the person who voiced Shiva's Final Crash sound that I'm not sure what he says in SOR 3 actually sounds a little bit more like his SOR2 voice actor, minus the japanese accent and not saying "FINAL CRASH!")

Bare Knuckle III's difficulty's actually comparable to SOR 2's in some aspects (excluding Mania mode, that's on another scale above that.) However, the powerful secret characters like Ash and Shiva are too tempting to use to get any real challenge out of the game. Playing as a normal character though is really tough on Very Hard for me so I don't really bother with SOR 3's

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Naaah, as long as you don't use Victy, BK3 isn't too hard. You can beat it from the base 5 lives on Very Hard and you don't even have to be careful. You only have to watch out on stage 4 with the trains (fuck that stage, seriously). It's probably easy to do it even with Victy, just too cumbersome cause he has no throws.

Also, as long as you don't mind taking the white house route, you can do infinite points in stage 6. Handy for getting 3 stars. Just enter the room before the general, it has money bags and an apple, and you can do it infinitely.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The big problem with Streets of Rage 3 which I encountered was that 17.5% dip in speed with the PAL version. I know the music in the game was already controversial, but god does it sound worse with that slight dip in tempo.

of course... the real issue here was it wasn't the Mega Drive version I was running. It was the one I downloaded from the Wii's Virtual Console! In 2007!

I don't agree with Streets of Rage 3's censors but one thing that did interest me is this
    http://segaretro.org/File:Sor_md_us_cover.jpg
    "Gender neutral colours" have been upon us since the first game - they may have just too lazy to change the palettes in game.

5. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Hey, Black Squirrel thanks for bringing the boxes up. I just looked at the Brazilian Mega Drive cover and saw a completely new enemy not seen before on the screenshots on the back of the box. Plus, the Nora enemies look totally different. I hope you and the rest of Sega Retro don't mind but I'm gonna have to address this to Matt on Streets of Rage Online. Thank you Black Squirrel. I'll be sure to make sure you get credit for this scan.

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Today, I uncovered a bug in Streets of Rage Remake. A really nasty one.

Remake is apparently full of glitches according to some circles, but this is my first encounter of a major one.

...and made me frown, too.

7. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Pressing Alt+X will create a save state and log you out of the program and you'll start in the beginning of that scene when you boot the game up again rather than going to the title screen. Thought I'd mention that incase you didn't know. ;)

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Thanks. I already found out about that from someone from the comments section of my video.

But I still think this shouldn't happen in the first place. :(