don't click here

Streets of Rage 3 available for iOS

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Skyler, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    <!--QuoteBegin-SEGA Europe+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SEGA Europe)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[​IMG]

Unrest has returned to the ‘Streets of Rage’ but this time its Portable!

All your favourite characters, Eddie ‘Skate’ Hunter, Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding, return along with a new hero as Streets of Rage 3 is relased on the iPhone.

Help Skate, Axel and Blaze rescue take down Mr X's new corporation RoboCy and his colleague Dr Dahm, the world's best roboticist.

As with the original, enjoy a single player campaign in your quest to defeat Mr X.

Streets of Rage 3 is ‘OUT NOW’ on iOS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2011/04/28/streets-of-rage-3-out-now-on-iphone/" target="_blank">http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2011/04/28/st...-now-on-iphone/</a>

2. Titan

Titan

UK
    Wow, that was fast! Would rather have Bare Knuckle 3 on my phone though <_<
    Quite surprised they completed the SOR trilogy on iOS before Sonic...really want them to do Sonic 3K

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Gender sensitivity? Huh?

4. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    SOA just don't get most fans hate this censored pile of crap. It's one of the most likely reasons SOR 4 will never exist officially.

5. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    Not sure what effect SEGA's negotiations with Bombergames have done. Releasing it to get it done and over with, and SoRR can be officially rereleased?

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    @Glisp. I really don't get the hate that SOR3 (or at least Bare Knuckle 3) receives. BK3 was uncensored, twice the speed of SOR2, had control upgrades and had so many awesome "oh-shit" moments <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHq-7GccBA" target="_blank">like the shinobi boss-fight</a> and after you defeat Mr. X you fight fucking robots. That last fight with Axel versus the super robot as the timer runs down was one of the most awesome boss fights of the 16 bit era (at least for me). Yes I realise they fucked with SOR3 but I had BK3 from the start (Japanese Import) so didn't notice. The only aspect in which SOR2 is superior is in music.

@Otama Sanshiro. Sega probably shut down SORR in order to release shit like this (iPhone ports). Highly doubt SORR will get a rerelease. SORR is all over the torrent sites now. The power of the Internet. It never forgets. I downloaded SORR the day the link went up on Bombergames' site. C&D that Sega.

7. dsrb

dsrb

<!--quoteo(post=582792:date=Apr 29 2011, 03:10 PM:name=360)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (360 @ Apr 29 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582792">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Glisp. I really don't get the hate that SOR3 (or at least Bare Knuckle 3) receives. BK3 was uncensored<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Glisp's entire point, which is shared by many people, and hinted at by yourself towards the end of your post, is this: The original Japanese version is an entirely different beast from the Western translation, which was transmogrified into an absurdly imbalanced game (difficulty levels were shifted to be harder, and enemy damage scales with difficulty level) with a bizarre/inconsistent storyline and completely pointless censorship (hey guys let's change the female enemies' legs from peach to black so it looks like they're wearing tights because omg naked skin is bad but we'll leave Blaze the way she is ololol). A good portion of the criticism is based on these issues, not on anything intrinsic to the real game (I.e. before SoA had their way).

8. TeriosLP

TeriosLP

United States
    Let's Play Sonic 4 Episode 1/Sonic Colors
    Might have to check this out soon. Never played a Streets of Rage game before, so maybe now is the time. :)

9. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    <!--quoteo(post=582821:date=Apr 29 2011, 12:19 PM:name=dsrb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dsrb @ Apr 29 2011, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582821">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=582792:date=Apr 29 2011, 03:10 PM:name=360)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (360 @ Apr 29 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582792">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Glisp. I really don't get the hate that SOR3 (or at least Bare Knuckle 3) receives. BK3 was uncensored<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Glisp's entire point, which is shared by many people, and hinted at by yourself towards the end of your post, is this: The original Japanese version is an entirely different beast from the Western translation, which was transmogrified into an absurdly imbalanced game (difficulty levels were shifted to be harder, and enemy damage scales with difficulty level) with a bizarre/inconsistent storyline and completely pointless censorship (hey guys let's change the female enemies' legs from peach to black so it looks like they're wearing tights because omg naked skin is bad but we'll leave Blaze the way she is ololol). A good portion of the criticism is based on these issues, not on anything intrinsic to the real game (I.e. before SoA had their way).
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I quite love Bare Knuckle III. It's SOR 3 US/PAL I despise. In fact, if I didn't like BKIII, I wouldn't have been a tester for this now (sadly) cancelled ROM Hacking project:

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAdAOMP11Tw&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAdAOMP11Tw&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

So obviously, you were not reading my post correctly 360.

Speaking of censorship, according to former SOA employee, Michael Latham, it was SOA's marketing team that forced all the rather pointless changes to the game.

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=583175:date=Apr 30 2011, 04:57 PM:name=Glisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glisp @ Apr 30 2011, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583175">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of censorship, according to former SOA employee, Michael Latham, it was SOA's marketing team that forced all the rather pointless changes to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you tell me where and when, please? I too am interested in the reasons behind SOR3's localization. :ssh:

11. Titan

Titan

UK
    <!--quoteo(post=582723:date=Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM:name=AerosolSP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582723">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gender sensitivity? Huh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Apparently, this is the reason SOA changed the colours of the character's clothes; yeah, I can't say I understand it either. Why is giving Axel a yellow shirt more sensitive than a white one? And apparently Blaze wearing red was offensive somehow as well :rolleyes:

12. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    <!--quoteo(post=583263:date=May 1 2011, 03:09 AM:name=OKei)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OKei @ May 1 2011, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583263">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=583175:date=Apr 30 2011, 04:57 PM:name=Glisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glisp @ Apr 30 2011, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583175">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of censorship, according to former SOA employee, Michael Latham, it was SOA's marketing team that forced all the rather pointless changes to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you tell me where and when, please? I too am interested in the reasons behind SOR3's localization. :ssh:

I'm friends with the dude. Talk to him on Skype and Facebook every so often. ;)

Skype conversation regarding it.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[2/16/2011 11:32:39 PM] Justin Harris (Glisp): Hey Mike, who's idea was it to over censor Streets of Rage 3? Do you remember?
    [2/16/2011 11:33:18 PM] Justin Harris (Glisp): Then again you may not have had any knowledge of that so yeah.
    [2/16/2011 11:33:22 PM] Michael Latham: No, sorry, but it was marketing. That I do remember.
    [2/16/2011 11:33:40 PM] Michael Latham: I remember because I ran test. No cause we were included.
    [2/16/2011 11:59:59 PM] Justin Harris (Glisp): Oh thanks Mike. =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's a rather large listing of the amount of changes SOR 3 went through with SOA.
    <a href="http://soronline.eden2-book.com/sor3_sor3vsbk3.htm" target="_blank">http://soronline.eden2-book.com/sor3_sor3vsbk3.htm</a>

Many of them were pretty bad, and kind of pointless. About the only ones called for were Ash and quite possibly the female enemies getting covered up. (then again, the female enemies thing is borderline so perhaps not.)

Even with the outfit changes for the main characters, SOA forgot that Blaze shows her panties when she does a flying kick. While it's not as many pixels as her BKII/SOR2 PAL counterpart's upskirt flying kick, it's still laughable they missed that. Then again, this might be why they changed her outfit to a silver color so it was less noticeable.

In addtion, the twins Onihime and Yasha/Mona and Lisa still jiggle their boobs while walking in both versions. (obviously the twins have never heard of bras. XD)

13. dsrb

dsrb

<!--quoteo(post=583286:date=May 1 2011, 12:04 PM:name=Titan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Titan @ May 1 2011, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583286">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=582723:date=Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM:name=AerosolSP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582723">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gender sensitivity? Huh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Apparently, this is the reason SOA changed the colours of the character's clothes; yeah, I can't say I understand it either. Why is giving Axel a yellow shirt more sensitive than a white one? And apparently Blaze wearing red was offensive somehow as well :rolleyes:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->While this is completely absurd, I presume it was something to do with the stereotype of the colours blue and pink (=red) being associated with male and female genders respectively. OMG SEXISM

Also, Ash is lol. Surely even gay people (assuming they're not as ridiculously fruity as that fictional character, in which case they're kinda asking to be stereotyped [no homophobe]) would find him amusing? Imagine the outcry if the original game had the hilarious new scene that was added to Streets of Rage Remake, where he appears in the nightclub and poledances! (Complete with that game's also-hilarious new “OOOO!” voice clip and fruity laughter.)

14. Titan

Titan

UK
    <!--quoteo(post=583380:date=May 1 2011, 01:59 PM:name=dsrb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dsrb @ May 1 2011, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583380">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=583286:date=May 1 2011, 12:04 PM:name=Titan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Titan @ May 1 2011, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583286">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=582723:date=Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM:name=AerosolSP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Apr 29 2011, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582723">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gender sensitivity? Huh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Apparently, this is the reason SOA changed the colours of the character's clothes; yeah, I can't say I understand it either. Why is giving Axel a yellow shirt more sensitive than a white one? And apparently Blaze wearing red was offensive somehow as well :rolleyes:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->While this is completely absurd, I presume it was something to do with the stereotype of the colours blue and pink (=red) being associated with male and female genders respectively. OMG SEXISM

Also, Ash is lol. Surely even gay people (assuming they're not as ridiculously fruity as that fictional character, in which case they're kinda asking to be stereotyped [no homophobe]) would find him amusing? Imagine the outcry if the original game had the hilarious new scene that was added to Streets of Rage Remake, where he appears in the nightclub and poledances! (Complete with that game's also-hilarious new “OOOO!” voice clip and fruity laughter.)
    Yeah, I'm gay, and Ash doesn't offend me :P
    BTW he has some pretty damn funny win/lose quotes in the Battle mode :P

15. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    I think the removal of Ash had more to do with SOA being homophobic in some ways. I mean, they are established in one of the cities in California with one of the largest Homosexual communities in the US. His playable version's still in the US ROM, just not accessible by normal means, just in case you didn't know.

Also, just for lulz:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xr_SIhl8qa8&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xr_SIhl8qa8&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Ash is apparently much stronger than Shiva (albeit with less reach)

16. dsrb

dsrb

“Unfortunately, because of you I am now disembodied. Please pardon my unpleasant appearance.”

You can't say the guy's not polite!

I played through BKIII the other night, and I took too long to defeat that spinning absurdity. I fought over 9000 samurais, and all I got was this semi-lousy ending!

17. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I never really liked that plot twist, but then, it's fairly easily worked around if they ever make a fourth - I mean, it's just a brain in a jar, nobody said it was explicitly Mr. X's aside from the brain itself... and I'm sure even a brain can lie about its identity, given the ability to.

I mean, somebody was watching the heroes during the bad ending, and it certainly wasn't a brain in a jar.

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=582792:date=Apr 29 2011, 07:10 AM:name=360)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (360 @ Apr 29 2011, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=582792">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Glisp. I really don't get the hate that SOR3 (or at least Bare Knuckle 3) receives. BK3 was uncensored, twice the speed of SOR2, had control upgrades and had so many awesome "oh-shit" moments <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHq-7GccBA" target="_blank">like the shinobi boss-fight</a> and after you defeat Mr. X you fight fucking robots. That last fight with Axel versus the super robot as the timer runs down was one of the most awesome boss fights of the 16 bit era (at least for me). Yes I realise they fucked with SOR3 but I had BK3 from the start (Japanese Import) so didn't notice. The only aspect in which SOR2 is superior is in music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BK3 had more animation, attacks, speed and interactivity, but it was a significant downgrade in graphics and sound. Also, the level design was outright boring at a lot of places, and the game had absolutely zero balance.

Let me detail some of the issues:
    - graphics. SOR2 was one of the most beautiful games on the Megadrive, it was almost as if every level was composed specifically to bring out the most beautiful combinations of colors the machine could do. It also had a TON of special effects in the background, such as multilayering, rowscrolling, the ripples in the alien house, or even SNES style rotation on the pirate ship. BK3 had nearly no effects, and often they used digitized photos as backgrounds, which just looked crap on the megadrive. Enemy movement got downgraded too, such as Electras thunder bolt having no animation, no enemies having "stand-up" animations, etc.
    - sound. Everybody agrees that SOR2 had better music. It just pumped up the action better. BK3 music is awesome too, but more like a separate album than a videogame score. And going beyond the music, the sound effects were downgraded too. There is a much lower variety in hit effects, lot fewer voices (direct consequence of less mid-boss type enemies), and the hit effects just don't sound as good either. I'd say the hit effect in BK3 was a sissy slapfight compared to the bone-shattering knockouts of SOR2. BK3 just sounded less impressive.
    - gameplay. For the length of the entire game, all you had to do was run -> jump kick (works on the final boss too!). You only had to watch out for like three guys that had some uncounterable moves (Big Ben rolling, Signal sliding, Break doing a grand upper), the dozer scene, and that you don't accidentally fall into pits (it was a great twist that the wind blew you into them even if you tried jumping away). In fact you had very little incentive to do anything else, other than the sheer variety. Even special moves were weak and boring. Throwing people onto pits made the action more colorful, but that was limited to one level. And some of the gimmicks were more annoying than functional (all of stage 4).
    The lack of variety was also a problem. You just had to go through the gimmick-of-the-current-stage while fighting hordes of weak punks, and then do a boss fight. SOR2 had no gimmicks, but a much bigger variety on enemies, most of whom required separate tactics. I'm thinking of the mid-boss dudes, like the kickboxers, ninjas, fat guys, Electras, etc. BK3 gave every enemy the very weak "punk" status, there was nothing special about either of them. You had galsias and donovans, those two dudes who could grab you, the two females, the two ninjas, fatguys, g-men, signals, robots... and all of them came in hordes, none of them were "unique". The gunman were about the only unique enemies you faced, and even they were as weak as normal punks. Victy and Bruce were the only real mid-bosses in the entire game, outside the two or three galsias who inexplicably moved twice as fast as normal punks.

The entire game was just too unimpressive. If you played SOR2 to death and wanted new content, sure, BK3 was awesome at first sight with the increased speeds, interactive levels, and tons of new attacks, including cooperative bodyslams. Then someone pointed it out that the game looked crap compared to SOR2, sounded crap compared to SOR2, and it didn't have a playable wrestler dude twice the size of normal punks with a NORMAL ATTACK that sounds like it snapped someones spine in two, and takes over 2/3rds of one lifebar IN ONE HIT. Nor did it have any enemies who did that either.

You just didn't "feel the power" in BK3 as you did in SOR2.

And do note that the only version of the game I played, up until internet and emulators, was the original japanese version in a bootleg cart with region lockout removed. On a PAL machine, so SOR2 was slow as molasses, but was still more impressive.

19. Xilla

Xilla

Super! Smashing! Member
    <!--quoteo(post=583390:date=May 1 2011, 11:29 AM:name=Titan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Titan @ May 1 2011, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583390">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW he has some pretty damn funny win/lose quotes in the Battle mode :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! :)

Sega were still removing gay characters as late as Shenmue 2. SoE had Yuan (A very effeminite homosexual) redubbed by a woman when they released Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. And of course SoA did the same thing when they dubbed it into English for the XBox.

20. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    <!--quoteo(post=583991:date=May 3 2011, 09:40 AM:name=Xilla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xilla @ May 3 2011, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583991">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=583390:date=May 1 2011, 11:29 AM:name=Titan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Titan @ May 1 2011, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=583390">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW he has some pretty damn funny win/lose quotes in the Battle mode :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! :)

Sega were still removing gay characters as late as Shenmue 2. SoE had Yuan (A very effeminite homosexual) redubbed by a woman when they released Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. And of course SoA did the same thing when they dubbed it into English for the XBox.

Pretty obvious from the above SOA's a bunch of Homophobes. =P Not only that, but as I previously mentioned, they operate in San Fransisco, one of the US's city's with one of the largest homosexual populations in the nation.