don't click here

STREETS OF RAGE 2 HACKING THREAD

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Glisp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah I actually ended up taking a slightly different approach since I'm not familiar with this savestate shit, but I think the songs start near location $42BCF in the rom, and ending near $53C92.

I stress that both of those locations are guesses based solely on observation, but they shouldn't be far from the actual ones. I will see if I can get the savestate trick to work, as right now I'm doing what I've done with Cube (direct eye observation in ms-dos editor, never fails).

edit: confirmed. I could just find some bytes from the YM2612 section of the savestate in a location near the one I guessed above. Bytes from $4354B in the rom can be found in a savestate taken while song 1 is playing, from byte $335 onwards, interleaved with bytes from other registers, but still, they're there.

This means that each song comes with its voices. No universal bank.

edit2: yup, all the songs appear to begin with C2 XX XX 00 XX XX XX XX 00 2F 00 2F 00 :)

edit3: and right after the songs there is stuff in a similar format, which I guess are the sfxs.

2. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.

A guy actually found them for me of Streets of Rage.net he's called Crimson Red and he's working on a shit load of disassemblies. $40000 That's the actual code part actually not the sound driver.

3. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, at $40000 there is the driver itself, and the songs follow.

Anyway you could tell me you already knew that before I went to look for the song. I hate to waste my time, and since you already have some help even though you stated you were alone, I guess I am not needed.

Good luck.

*loses interest*

4. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    awww. don't feel bad......

He actually stated that it starts in the US version at: 559C2

5. nineko

nineko

italy
    I don't know what there is at $40000, it can be code, the driver, a nemesis-compressed picture of your mom, I don't really know, all I know is that I found the songs and the voices and I'm sure they're there, period.

However I already deleted the rom and I'm not going to help with this any further. You can't just come here crying that nobody wants to help you, because when people wants to help you it turns out it's not needed. I seriously wanted to contribute even though I never played SoR in my life because I'm always interested when there is music involved, but no, screw this, you pissed me off.

So yeah time for me to say the "do it yourself" you didn't want to hear (and that I didn't want to say, but you deserve that).

6. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to upset you...... I feel pretty bad now..... oh well moving on now..... whatever. shun me all you want. I honestly don't care. I had no idea the newest member of SOR.net was going to be a rom hacking genius. The funniest thing was, I didn't ask him to hack it for me, he just did it? Within 10 minutes he found the first 4 tracks and the sound driver. Fucking impressive. Still I deserve to be told to do it myself. I was going to do it myself but unfortunately.........um yeah, let's not get into that......

Edit: Tweaker trash this thread when you find time. its out lived its discussion value I believe.

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Control+F "music" had discussion value?

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Jeez, is it full moon tonight? Seems to me that you all are overreacting a bit.

Could some mod please split the drama and keep the actual finds? It would be such a waste to let this stuff sink in the trash forum.

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That's kinda harsh. Some people aren't "experts" at ROM hacking and haven't done it as long as people like you and me. To Glisp, that's pretty cool. And quite frankly, I think it's at the very least, interesting. It could in fact be helpful if there is some sort of documentation or source code for this driver.

I don't think trying to lower someone's self-esteme is something to be so bold about. Point being, it's something. Let the guy have his 5 minutes of excitement.

10. Watkins

Watkins

I don't think it was so much that it was an unimportant find as much as it was his smug attitude when he posted this.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

11. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Did some quick searches.

M.N.M. Software is a presumably-defunct company known to have released two titles ("Thrice" and "Noah") in the early '90s for the Sharp X68000 computer...

Nothing useful, but it's interesting. I wonder if Mecom-MD could be a MD port of an existing driver?

It's emulated; anyone able to find a dump of either title?

EDIT:

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/MNM_Software

Found more info. Not defunct; name changed. Also a lot more games to their credit. (Aaand Roxahris ninja'd it. Ah well.)

EDIT2:

String isn't in either of their other MD games. It's very possible that this IS the driver in them, but the string identifying it as such is absent.

Also, I'm willing to bet it's a port of a Sharp X68000 sound driver. It's a 68000-based machine they did a shitton of games for; it seems probable they'd have an in-house 68000 driver that could be relatively easily ported to the MD.

EDIT3: Slap Fight has "Music Driver v1.3"; since it's an inhouse driver, this is probably it. It's a later version than SOR2's, too...

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Let's quote what he said:

Wow, that was really something for me to get up and arms about. Really?? Come on, let him be excited. You KNOW he has poor self-esteme, why drag him down further? I'm sorry, but I'm calling it the way it is, and it's not cool at all. Some of the reaction to that post (I'm not going into anything else he says -- I'm leaving that between you all) is rediculous to say the least. Give him a break.

13. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    Man all this drama over some comment? <_<

Anyway, I'm really glad to see all of this going down, even though I don't understand shit being said in this topic. I haven't really seen too much hacking in general when it comes down to the sor series. I'm a spriting man myself so post up some tiles I can edit and you know I'm interested. :)

14. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    First off I want to apologize. I admit to being arrogant, stubborn, smug, and what ever else you want to call me. I don't know exactly why but the environment of these boards isn't agreeing with me. Maybe its because of all the drama constantly going on. Maybe its because I feel like all the people here are out to get me. I don't really know to be quite honest.

Secondly, I'm getting to the point where I've finally given up on caring about what anyone says to me that pertains to something stupid such as my arrogance. Yeah I was a little overly excited, so what? The excitement has passed so let's move on and talk about the sound driver and just put all of this drama shit behind us.

Third, meh nothing new to report about the hacking unless you count some guy mysteriously showing up out of nowhere to start hacking offsets in the sound driver. I didn't tell him to he just did it for me. It was the weirdest thing because he just showed up at the perfect time. Even though he's pretty much found the music Driver's offsets and a few of the tracks I plan to do some work of my own. (providing he lets me of course. lol.) Oh and he found the decompression routine too btw.

15. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    Red Crimson could either be Red Comet, the man behind the bk3 translation or someone from either here or bombergames.

16. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN

He told me he's not from bomber games. He never mentioned the BKIII translation though so I'm not really sure. I could ask since I've got him on Yahoo instant messenger now.

17. Vangar

Vangar

Well you know what? I think this was a good find no one else has found before, so congrats Glisp. Don't let anyone put you down and further your knowledge in ROM Hacking, and you will find even more.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hm, Yuzo Koshiro used those computers when composing his music back then.

19. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Either those, or PC-88s.

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

This will be fucking awesome, the furthest I got with hacking Streets of Rage 2 was messing with most of the enemy data, some of which had some strange results(enemies that can't be hit etc) so I am really looking forward to a split disassembly of Streets of Rage 2. Keep up the work!