don't click here

Strange problems

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Trigahd, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Being the nostalgic kind of guy I am, I like to go back and revisit the good old days with the old systems and the real games that made me happy.
    So I plugged up my Genesis and slipped in my Sonic 1. NOTE: All my games were stored carefully, so there would no way to affect the catridges in any way. Anyway as I was saying, I put in my Sonic 1 cartridge and started to play Sonic 1. I got to Green Hill Zone Part 3 and was just about to reach the boss when suddenly, I fell and died! Somehow, the game forgot to recognize that the bridge was there. So I pause just before the screen blacks out and took a pic. After a while of leaving it on, the game screws up. So I turn it off, turn it back on and go to Scrap Brain. I get to Part 2, and after going through a teleporter. I run across the ground, across some conveyor belts, and hit the next teleporter. Nothing! I then realize the game somehow forgot to recognize the objects again.
    I then get ticked, realizing that I'm probably never going to play that game through again, and connected my Sonic 3 game to my Sonic & Knuckles cartridge and put it in my Genesis. I turn it on, and suddenly, the NO WAY! screen comes up. Now I'm really saying WTF as I have no idea what's going on? The characters are purple, and you can access the bonus levels like with S1&K by doing A+B+C. There's no way to input a password, yet they give you one after beating the level. Much playing later, the game locks up. So I turn it off, take out the game, put it back in, and it's S3&K now.
    Anyone care to tell me what the fuck happened with my two favorite Genesis games?

2. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    The carts probably got dusty. Blow in them and they should be fine. That's what Diane always used to do back when I was in year 5 and went to an "after school club". ;)

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's possible that one of the address/data lines on the cartridge port is dirty (on the console itself). Try cleaning the cartridge port with a Q-tip.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    A rubber works too. It also helps to hold the cart by providing a better surface for contact. (So long as you don't use the shitty rubbers which just leave flecks of rubber everywhere.)

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hehe... I used to get crap like that all the time. I got a "genesis cartridge cleaning kit" about 7 years ago for like $2 at Zellers. I works. Look on eBay. Might help you.

6. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    When my Cousin comes over and plays my old genesis and the cartridges don't work for him. He blows and spits in the cartridges vigorously. Then it works fine for him =P

7. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Hehehe, I know that method. Try game, curse at game, blow into cartridge, try game again, repeat until game starts. I only had a NES though <_<

8. Vangar

Vangar

Blowing into the carts WILL fuck up your cartriges heads. Try some low power Metho on a earcleaner. works fine. If you keep putting saliva into the heads they will wear away. Anyway, that's your problem. ;)

9. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Actually, when I recently ran a cloth over one games contact points, I found a shitload of dirt and stuff on it, turns out blowing does jack, but you all knew that so bleh.

10. It isn't like you're spitting into the cartridge. It's not like they are getting waterlogged. It works fine, normal moisture from the air is more likely to curode the pins (over time of corse). But if you have a tendancy to blow saliva then maybe it will mess up your games. And if you have a sea in your cart after you blow into them, dry it out with a cloth before using it. :P

Then don't store your games in the sand :P j/k. Blowing does infact work, especially for NES carts. But if your carts are that durty you need to store them better. Store them right-side-up (standing like they do in the Genesis), this will help keep dust out of the head area. If you have any Genesis cart cases, use them. And if you must use a clenser or some other crap, make sure it is designed for that purpose. I've known people that have curroded away the pins in their N64 games because they used a clenser that was too strong.

11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Blow on your cartridge. The heads won't be messed up unless you put a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY powerful blow to it which would take more than one person to do if they could do it at all.

Second, blow into your Genesis cartridge port (THAT is probably what was causing the problems in the first place). Don't listen to "it doesn't do anything" because it does. Dust affects games to great amounts rather you realize this or not. I wouldn't recommend a Q-tip because the cotton may get stuck into the cartridge port.... meaning you'd have to then vacume the thing (not that doing that would hurt it any).

Don't spit onto the cart, that's not good on it -- it causes the contacts to loose their conductability over a long period of time among other problems. Instead, they make special alcohol for that stuff that you should use if you want to apply a liquid to it.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member

13. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    I never had a Gens <_< Only NES, then Playstation and even the playstation is showing wear.

Luckily NES's cart port isn't as unforgiving just lift the door and clean :P the only cart I've got for NES that doesn't work anymore is Super Mario 3, ands because one of the cheap plastic pins holding the game card broke so the card went all the way into the cart casing.

14. How can you say it's easy to clean an NES port? It's like 4 inches inside the system! You must have long q-tips.

And I wish they kept the Atari style carts around. I don't know how many of you have seen Atari 2600 or 5200 cartridges but they have a spring loaded shield that only contracts when the game is inserted. You can't push it in otherwise and dust/debris can't get in around the cartridge head. And the port doesn't have doors like the Genesis, SNES, and N64. It's just realy small and barely any dust can get in. Even though the N64 uses more pins than Atari, it still could have worked if you look at how the Atari carts/ports work. Another option would have been like the Intellivision. It's cartridges went in on the side of the system, so the only way dust could get in is if you pushed it in.

15. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I've tried blowing into the cart and the cartridge port and now all I get is either a black screen or a red screen from my Sonic 1 game. I've found no dust traces on either the cart or the port. S3&K works fine, must have been some kind of glitch, I guess. But Sonic 1 won't seem to work no matter how much I blow. I don't know if this means jack shit, but S1&K appears to work. Although I'm not sure if that means anything.

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Your Sonic 1 game must be pretty dirty then. Blow and blow and blow on both the system and the game. Check for any odd splotches on the cart and make sure the chip is as clean as you can get it. You can't say it's some odd glitch -- the red screen will happen 'because' the game isn't being read correctly (checksum, but let's not go there). Just know that the red screen basically means your game (or system) is really dirty. The black screen will mean the same thing.

17. I think its time you check the pins under a light. Depending on how good your eyesight is you may need a magnifying glass. Check if any pins have curosion or if any of them have been uplifted (this is rare, only happens when you're rough taking carts in and out), and pay close attention to the place where the rest of the pin dissapears through the plastic. This is where most curosion should be (if there is any). A black screen happens to me once in a great while, try turning the system on and off (not reset) and wait and see if the white text comes up. You already know what the red screen means.

18. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Well, most of my NES games refuse to work, gives me the blinky gray screen. Im guessing this is why:
    cartview

The contacts are dirty as hell, probably even worse in the NES, Id have to take it apart and see. What kind of cleaner should I use on it again?

19. It just looks like worn on dust. Try lightly rubbing the pins with a pencil eraser and then using a clenser or somthing. But dry it RIGHT after you use the clenser just incase. You can use a very light amount of alcohol safely but not too much.

20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    The reason I say wait about a minute is because doing so will pick up more dirt because you have to give the solution time to mix in order to pick the 'really' hard stuff up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.