don't click here

Stone Protectors Russian release?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Vangar, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Vangar

Vangar

2. Don't think it's an official release since most Russian games are bootlegs that come in that style case and cart (Cases are smaller than normal Genesis/Mega Drive cases) I do own a few myself, the quality isn't all that great on them, and the PCB's aren't properly chamfered, so they can be a bit tricky to remove from a Genesis console sometimes.

Most of these Russian games usually consist of most of what you'd see from normal reproductions. Sprite hacks, NES games rebuilt from scratch on new engines to run on Genesis, homebrew, etc.

So yeah, don't spend the money on this one. I think it's just a repro of the rom that's been floating around.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Now this is a story all about how your life got twisted upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sitting right here to tell you about Russian bootlegs.

Take a ROM of the interwebs, translate it into Russian, shove it on a cart. That's what they do, and there's so many it hurts. Real games, prototypes, weird hacks, games that were unlicensed to begin with and even the occasional PD release - NewGame's got you covered.

I go through phases where I try and make sense of this stuff. I usually don't get very far.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Save the pictures and add to Sega Retro if you aren't going to buy it.

We cover bootlegs too.

5. It's an insane rabbit hole, no doubt. I do agree that they like to grab ROM from the internet and make carts out of, especially non-commercial homebrew releases that weren't intended to be sold in mass quantity. There's even a game that I've worked on graphics-wise in the past they seem to have made into a cart. lol

The stuff they make from the ground-up seems cool, but most of it runs off the same code, so even the quality of the software doesn't compare to the original (Like Darkwing Duck or Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers NES ports to the Genesis... Both games don't function 1:1 like the NES originals, and seems like mostly just the art assets were taken.)

Y'all need a full scan of Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers cart+cover? I have that game "complete".

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  7. Vangar

Vangar

Oof, that's a rabbit hole I didn't know existed. Probably won't be buying this then, seems overpriced for what it is.

On this note however, I came across a really old bootleg of Insector X at a flea market today (pal/ntsc form factor). The cart runs on Mega drive 1 just fine, but Mega drive 2 has a complete panic attack and the video output is completely broken, scared it might even damage the system. The sega license screen starts rolling and is in a really deep green, and black screen with noise sounds after that.

I dumped it with a retrode, game reads fine, however the checksum appears to be incorrect.

File in Question: https://send.firefox.com/download/5f335bf6cc6b36a5/#d3Ca2vIZGfFCG-ABRQmaqQ

Does mega drive 2 have some kind of checksum panic attack that the Mega Drive 1 doesn't? Or perhaps the bootleg wiring to the chip inside is incorrect for mega drive 2? I can take pics of the internals but they seem very clean considering the age and bootleg nature.

8. It might be failing the TMSS check? It's been ages since I knew all of this, but doesn't the model 1 lack the TMSS chip?

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Some Model 1s do, not all of them.