don't click here

StH: DX turned fan game

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by stormislandgal, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Since I took a break from my hack, I've decided to do something closely related to it. I want it to be everything I want my hack to be, but I'm too challenged at 68K to implement many of the features.

I'm making a fan game based off Damizean and McdIzzY's 360 Sonic engine. I know what some of you're thinking. "oh boohoo, gmae maker..." and such. However, some god damn decent stuff is possible. Take the engine for example. =P

Well, I have two screens so far. And they're very basic, to show the stuff I've done so far, which includes motion blurring, and Super Sonic. I'm working on spindash at the moment, but I probably made a typo in the code, preventing it from working. Either that or the GM language isn't capable of a few things that 68K is, I dunno.

[​IMG]
    In comes the title card, with alpha fading(not shown here), for that extra touch.

[​IMG]
    Super Sonic, with motion blurring. I don't have a screenshot of the transformation, cause simply, it's nothing too special yet. It's basically Sonic 2 style. I might do super flashy effects though. =P

Any question, comments, and the like?

I'll say it now, I don't care how repetitve I sound, but I'm staying with Game Maker, no matter what anyone says, simply cause I don't know any other programming languages('cept 68K). Plus, I've based it on someone else's engine due to the reason that I can't make a fluid collision system by myself. I can't even do blocky shit, hell, I can't work with collision period. The only collision I ever did was a basic sloppy 3D box collision, and that was shit. =P

My current sprites come from the "Modern Sonic" sprite sheet hosted on The Mystical Forest Zone, and the Super Sonic sprites were made by t0ms0nic, who just happens to be one of the best spriters I know of. =P

2. Taco

Taco

NintenDan Member
    NIU. Dekalb, Illinois
    Reclaiming my throne as sonic advance king >:O
    I'm not too knowledgable on programming, but I do recall hearing of a few projects (another sonic one even) that were made on gamemaker and turned out quite good.
    If gamemaker works best for you, then go for it

I still can not get enough of that title card for the level ;)

3. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    the game doesn't look too bad at all. of course I am on my cell phone right now so the picture is kinda blurry. but good luck on the game!

4. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    You know, there's a much more decent and newer version of my engine around... Also, Rogueyoshi has been working on a cool engine wich already has some of the basic stuff. Maybe you might want to give a try and make yours off it (It's opensource).

5. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I'll check out your updated engine. I wasn't aware of an update, as I've been out of the fan-gaming part for quite a bit of time.

I'd check out the other one, but that file size is a bit steep for dial-up. Hopefully I can get off it soon.

6. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    What's the music gonna be? MIDI or MP3?

7. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    probably MIDI. I've tried working MP3's into one of my fangames before and it cut the frame rate by 10. It might not have an effect on normal gameplay, as the frame limit I was testing with was 300, with the final count down from 260 to 250. If you add art, alpha effects, and quite a number of objects, there might be some effect.

Hmm....... now that I look at the graphics in the base test zone, I think I might make a sort of "VR Training" level.

8. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hey, cool!

Hope you actually do something with it, unlike my countless GM projects which are all gone due to massive damage caused by my HDD failiure.

9. NickW

NickW

Come on, be a real man and use ADX :P

Anyway, good luck, and you can ask me for help. I'm good with GM.

10. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    That's awesome. If I knew anything about how to make good Sonic fangames, I would do the same thing with Sonic the Hedgehog: Ramped. That way, I could add MP3's and miscellaneous other uber-custom shit as well, easily. I'm actually a fan of The Games Factory and other game makers, despite how much they are considered 'cheating' in creating a fangame. After all, it is just a fangame, at the end of the day. :\

11. TeRaByTe88

TeRaByTe88

Pending Member
    Why not wait for the Retro Sonic Editor by Taxman... that way you would get the physics of a real sonic game with the ablility to port levels from s1...

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    13MB isn't steep file size for dialup. Take it from me, I've been with dialup for 10 years now... =P

About 400MB is what I'd consider steep... =P

13. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Well, I don't necessarily have the time. 13 MB is about an hour and 30 minutes for me...

also, I 'fixed' the speed-blur thing. When I finally put a loop in the game, it appears that the y speed variable isn't used while you're on the ground, even if you're going straight up. My blurs relied on speed, rather than previous positions. So now, every error that was associated with the speed-blurring has been fixed.

[​IMG]
    EDIT: If you're wondering, right under the rings I have a crappy speedometer, which currently just multiplies the speed by 4. Not accurate, but efficient for now. Also, the ring count is pretty high cause I have the Super Sonic ring countdown subtract 10 rings at the moment, for testing purposes. Chances are, you'll never get that many rings. =P

Well, I want to work with an engine I'm comfortable with. I know the basic ins and outs of it, so I might as well use this one. *shrug* Besides, it's not too hard to work in a sonic 1 level.

14. Gibbo

Gibbo

Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991. Member
    Ellesmere Port, UK
    Learning how to use Game Maker
    Can't really say anything so far because its only the test level ( Nice to see my modern sonic being used)

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's a nice idea with a fan game and all. (Still think the hack is going to be so much better, cos it sounds and looks so unique for a rom hack.) But I was thinking would you carry it on after you restart your hack?

16. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I'm aiming to make a decent release before I ever work on my hack again. After that, I'll probably get back to work on the hack.

EDIT: EDIT2: *insert dumb explanation that is redundant now*

17. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Well, I've started sound dumping some music for this game, through Gens+. Currently the music is as follows:

Green Hill: Door into Summer. I forget which ripped I used... a Chaotix rip, or a rip from Sonic3K Megamix

Hidden Palace: I dumped the music from Dark Fortress Act 3 in Sonic 1 Megamix. I can't place my finger on the music's original game, and I'd like to get the original music.

Sol Sanctum*: Sol Sanctum music from Golden Sun. It's too good to pass up. In fact, that's where I got the name. =P

Carnie City: Spring Stadium 1. It sounds pretty good already, the only slight problem is the beginning on the lower quality. It's barely noticible to those who aren't 'trained' in music stuffs.

All of the music is in MP3 format, and doesn't interfere with the frame rate. Probably cause I cut down on the quality of the sound, down to 64 Kbits, or whatever. The difference is a bit difficult to spot, but it cuts the file size by 3/4, a grace for me. =P

* Sol Sanctum is the resting place of the sol emeralds in this fan game, if anyone's wondering. Yes, I do plan on incorporating some Rush story elements into this. However, never playing rush has put a damper on my knowledge of the story line.

Well, I'll upload a few updated screens here.
    [​IMG]
    The basics to Green Hill Zone. Those who followed my hack will recognize the art. The trees from my now scrapped South Island Zone, and the general GHZ theme.
    [​IMG]
    Showing the top of a loop and Super Sonic again. I don't have the full loop cause it's just "floating" there, with no art connecting it to the rest of the level.

18. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Sounds to be coming along nicely...

Keep up the good work.

19. Nicholas Onimura

Nicholas Onimura

Lurker Member
    This definetly looks nice. :worship: I'm probably going to sound like a turd for this, but in your hack version of DX, what happened with Sonia & Manic?

20. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    They disappeared, as I wanted to start over with just Sonic. Then, I eventually added Tails and Amy(somewhat).

I don't know why I never put those two back in to the hack. I probably have the needed skills to do so now, but I won't try it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.