don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    So... we initially complain about Sega and the team not quality-controling, and when they finally DO quality control, "OMG I'm DONE WITH THE FRANCHISE"?

I feel for you guys, I REALLY do, I've had games where I have had to avoid spoilers for MONTHS, even through delays. But tantrums aren't going to solve anything. This is clearly something that turned up too late in devlopment to fix in time, and yes, even sprite based games can have optimization issues.

The Steam Pre-order also had a discount, so maybe this was the reason, I dunno.

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

Avoiding spoilers is really going to be difficult now too. :/

Echoing Morph though, who is handling the PC version?

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/896047063024025602

I'm fucking dead.

4. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    ITT: People being mildly annoyed, and people complaining about salt

5. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    The point of that tweet went over my head, could somebody explain? Please don't tell me it got delayed because of DRM issues.

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    What does Taxman's tweet mean?

7. Delaying all versions probably wouldn't be a wise move now that there are leaks, and there's probably already marketing stuff in place. The delay sucks, and people have every right to be upset and angry, but I also believe they wouldn't have delayed it unless there was really crucial reason to do so. This game will rely on good word of mouth to do as well as we all hope it does, and crap sticks, so in the long run it's the better option.

I hope Taxman's tweet is unrelated.

8. raiongame

raiongame

I'm getting a console CE version so superficially I'm unaffected but...

This has shaken my confidence in the game somewhat. All this endless hype, I've been out of my mind excited for a year and this happens right before launch?

I'm sure everything will work out but I'm now concerned 1. The game is going to end up being buggy and as a result disappointing. 2. All this commotion will negatively affect reception and as a result the direction of the Sonic franchise as a whole. I really wanted this game to shine so Sega made more like this...

Are these reasonable concerns?

:( bummed out.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'm currently trying to find anyone I know in the city to let me borrow their current-gen console. If I don't get an answer by Sunday night, my plan is Rent-A-Center. Hopefully two weeks won't gauge me too much.

10. Jelq God

Jelq God

If this really is over DRM, they'd better at least have the courtesy of adding in a HACK DETECTION screen or something.

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    As a reminder, the PC version can and will be modded to kingdom come.

So while the wait does suck, at least you'll all likely be getting more content in the future than us console plebs. Just trying to find a silver lining. :V

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

The game was leaked and the only version that was delayed was on the plataform i could actually play the game...
    Nice!

And the reason might be DRM... On top of Steam
    Because i pay for things...

Double Nice!

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I really hope the Sonic Mania officials see this.

LET PC OWNERS HAVE THE OPTION TO PLAY IT.

You just need to give people on the store a warning that a game breaking bug appeared. It's then up to the customers what they choose to do.

14. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Suddenly, Overlord's earlier explanation as why he wouldn't buy a DRM'd game became more relevant. The guy knew :P

15. raiongame

raiongame

I know this might be an unpopular opinion... but I'm hoping the problem is DRM related - I know it's frustrating to think DRM is the cause for a delay, I agree...

I just think it's a better scenario than them letting a game breaking bug slip through the net at this late stage. I want to believe this game is in good hands.

Then again maybe I'm overreacting.

16. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yes, release a potentially broken product. That'll do wonders for marketing. It's all okay if we TELL them it's broken!

Friendly reminder that glitched messes are one of the things this series is most infamous for.

17. Felik

Felik

Yeah because that's something that would happen in real world and not in a fantasy of some frustrated kid who has no basic idea of how business works.

18. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    I'm sorry, but this actually fucking dumb, the game is literally created with the PC in mind. After all, it is using the same shit since Sonic CD, so why stop working now? How is a game coded natively to the PC get fucked 4 or 5 days until release? How could shit like that not be noted till now? I don't bite this "optimizations" excuse, unless like somebody said earlier....

Then the compensation is fucking Sonic 1 on Steam? You wanna fuck my mom while you're at it? I'd rather it be delayed and left it at that. Don't insult with a game that is literally no consequence to your company. If you love Sonic, it is more than likely you have Sonic 1 on Steam anyways, and at least 5 other copies of it in some form or fashion.

I get that they want to make the game good, quality control and all that bullshit, but you're somehow telling me that the console versions, which are ports of the PC versions are fine? What kind of fucked up bullshit is going on down at SEGA HQ? Did Iizuka-san snort so much cocaine that he ran through the code and replace lines with "Yuji Naka is a bitch" in hex? Come now.

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I don't know how to feel. When I read about the delay, I wanted to refund my pre-order and spend it on something else, since Mania will now be releasing during the time I'm back in college. (Currently on break.) But I'll hold out and hope for the best, because I'd then have to buy it again on Steam to play it anyway. :v:

It's a good thing I disable retweets on 80% of the people I follow, otherwise spoilers would be so hard to avoid in the meantime. Now might be the best time for a lot of us to do just that, mass disable retweets and mute people you suspect will spill the mean beans when given the chance.

If I had to take a stab in the dark: Unexpected issues with Steam integration? (Which can be tricky/annoying.) The tweet was vague as possible, and kind of funny too.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    People are reasonable providing you're transparent and give warning. Sometimes things come up outside of your control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.