don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Ooooh that stings, feeling really bad for those in limited positions. Hope getting the Switch version on the day goes smoothly though.
    There's a balance, if we take their word on the PC version being unoptimised, would you rather have an inferior product or wait? Short term, anyone would say have the product of course. Long term I think it's a good decision to make it work well.

Still sucks

2. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I'm not sure what kind of "optimization" issue they must have found in the PC version, but I will say it must be NAAASTY if they're willing to delay a version of the game over it. The vitriol in this thread can attest to that. Of course, they could just tell us upfront what the real problem is (like Nintendo did with the game breaking Skyward Sword glitch) and how to avoid it.

http://kotaku.com/5865426/game-breaking-skyward-sword-bug-confirmed-heres-how-to-avoid-it

3. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Edit: itt me being out of the loop. I forgot PC was the primary platform. Disregard.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This, a hundred times. I'm as frustrated as this as some people (only some; I'm not going to throw a fit about it), but given the series' reputation for buggy and broken games, this really does need to launch in good form. Launching on time with performance problems or game-breaking bugs would be more harmful to Sega and to the series as a whole than delaying it.

5. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I'm betting it's something like "The game literally will not run on mobile Intel graphics cards."

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    True having a solid product is key, but they're acting like patches don't exist. If they just said "hey it's out on the 15th, but keep in mind a patch is on the way to fix performance issues," that'd be fine IMO. Then you could either tough through it or wait, it's up to you. This though ruins people's plans and leads them to unavoidable spoilers. It's also the timing of it. A 4 day in advance delay?

I get it, shit happens, but given the circumstances I think most of the anger is justifiable (maybe not abandon Sonic forever rage but being miffed is to be expected). I have a back up, others don't though, so yea it sucks.

7. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    In an attempt to not look like I'm out of my mind for getting mad at this, let me resume:

1. The game is the best attempt at returning to the 2D era. HYPE OVERLOAD.
    2. The game has already been delayed once (The hype is still there)
    3. All the bits officially revealed til now, are amazing
    4. The reviewers tell everyone not to spoil all the wonderful surprises the game holds
    5. This is pretty hard because the game got leaked FIVE days before release
    6. It's not a 5~6 days delay to fix a bug, IT'S TWO WEEKS WORTH OF AVOIDING SPOILERS.
    7. The only "APOLOGY" we have, is a fucking 26 years old game for free, and it's not even the definitive Taxman version.
    Basically that. Excuse me all if I, Xcubed, and everyone else that only has a PC are mad, but I think we have our reasons. Yes, it's only a game, I'm not gonna literally break stuff because of it. But I'm mad, because I feel betrayed after all the hype done.

8. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Steam reviews are why this won't happen. The game will come out, likely not run properly for a ton of people, and it'll get review-bombed down to Mixed and stay there forever because of it.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's too bad they can't delay all versions to release on the same day (Considering it's a download title I am sure they could have done some digital pokery to stop codes being redeemed early).

But, I'd rather there be a delay then for Taxman and Stealth's big game to be released in an unoptimised state. The Mania Team have put a lot of effort into this, so the last thing I'd want is for it to be ruined by some bugs.

With a lot of mobile games the release date isn't given until a few days before release. So I am surprised they didn't do that here considering it's a download only title. It would have avoided all this disappointment.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That too btw, the apology gift is rather shit. Wow free Sonic 1, who doesn't own that? I'd rather get $5 back or something.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This fucking blows. I have a flight coming up that I planned on playing this on my Surface. Guess I'll shell out money and buy the xbox version.

12. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Given how late this is to release date, the only explanation is that they found something so gamebreaking on PC that they

A. Couldn't ship it it's so bad
    B. Couldn't fix it in time to have a Day 1 patch

I still have confidence in this game, and I think the reviews for the other versions will tell us this. It is a huge bummer that it has to happen so suddenly and so close to release.
    Oh, an emulated version of Sonic 1... y-yayyyyy...

13. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I was ready to scold everyone, talking about how I couldn't believe how everyone was acting, etc., but when it comes down to it, a lot of you are just super into the series. More than me. You guys have stronger feelings than I ever will.

Being angry is fine, but all I'm going to say is just please don't do anything you're going to regret. I don't know what that could possibly entail, but I'm just going to say it.

The game is going to come out, and it is going to be great.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Don't do it! This is their plan!!!

15. Felik

Felik

Dunno why but this made me crack up a little considering the context and the whole "seriousness" of the situation.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I under stand it's the protection of the franchise but I would have assumed that this would have been bug tested inside-out and backwards at this point in time. I'm not spending $300 for a console just to play one 2D Sonic game, no matter how glorious. I happen to have a laptop that can run this shit with my "newest" console being a Wii.

I do feel a bit better as I have riddled myself with a few spoilers, but there are still many unanswered questions and my hype level has not diminished. From what I saw, it just makes me want it even more!

I was pissed, but I know the importance of releasing a solid product as well. They are trying to make sure that this is not the LAST ever 2D Sonic title. I get that, but I think having the review period so close to launch to combat leaks is the pinnacle of this "optimization" consequence.

17. Hukos

Hukos

I bought the game on PC, don't own modern consoles so I'm pretty pissed its delayed - but at the end of the day its just a video game.

Y'all have enough salt here in this thread to kill someone.

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

Yeah this is kind of shitty. I'm going to be busy with school when the game is finally out now. Also the Sonic 1 gift is pretty lame. I already own the game 12 times over. I would rather get a discount on Mania.

19. corneliab

corneliab

This PC delay is already riling a lot of people up and a universal delay would be a LOT worse. It sucks but there's no sense in just making things bad for everyone.

20. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    ¯\_(?)_/¯ I know I'm probably not going to calm down anyone with that post but I just wanted to say something. At the end of the day Mania is going to come out and it will be amazing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.