don't click here

*Spilled* Next-Gen Sonic details

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Fred, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I lost faith in anything Sega do when they hired Bernie Stolar despite his horrific track record at Sony and then wondered why they floundered when he killed the Saturn.

2. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    The rumor that Sonic is "The Chosen One" (a Jesus figure, etc.) may not mean much but after that seeing that picture, it's less Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (or if you want to be technical, in Latin Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, if I remember correctly), it's more like Father, Son, and Holy Shit. :P

3. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    ATTENTION: Shut up about hating everything Sonic Team churns out nowadays. We've heard it OVER AND OVER. It's that simple, we know you hate it, so shut up and deal. No offense to anybody, but I'm getting sick of everybody just bashing the shit out of the Sonic series.

I for one will be getting this, no doubt. Also, that unverified scan... I'm liking the look of a "taller" Sonic. Also, the new hedgehog is sort of imaginative, meaning no upsidedown spike. Although I really could have gone with... I don't know, maybe Silver Sonic. There's a name we haven't seen since Sonic Adventure.
    Anyway, it looks like you only have three characters you actually might play as. How's that bad? They did it in Sonic and Knuckles without a hitch. Sure, you might see Tails fly Sonic around in the Tornado every once in a while, but that's normal, ala Sonic 2, 3, Adventure, and Advance.
    And this whole Chosen One thing... I'm actually attuned to this idea. I mean, when Eggman gets his hands on all the emeralds, does he go super? No. Yeah, Tails and Knux do in S&K, but that was before they had a solid plot set out. Tails didn't in Sonic 2(maybe due to time constraints or maybe a tough barrier in programming). Also, he's shown in the murals. I like that concept as well.

Also, think about this. Huge environments to explore? That's good. Especially when they mix in the good level design. The Adventure Fields have finally returned.

Also, I know I'm gonna get shit left and right... but what the fuck do you have against Shadow? I mean come on, sure he's a touch-up(not neccesarily a better touch up), but please. I'm pretty sure most of you had your idea for a Sonic based character at one point. Besides, he adds a bit to the struggle between good and evil.
    Now I have my small personal conflicts about how they used him, such as becoming the good guy and having a million million million more of him at the end of Heroes. I'm actually interested in some justified excuses to hate Shadow, rather than just "oshits, he's emo" kind of bashing.

There could be more I'd say, but I honestly don't wanna.

4. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    I haven't bashed this game yet, mainly because I haven't played it. I'll bash the hell out of Sonic Heros because I did play it, and I found it to be the worse peice of programing garbage sent out to consumers since Windows ME. That being said, who are you to tell others to "Shut up"? People can express their opinions about something if they want to, if you don't like that you can simply ignore the topic.

5. So far, Sonic Rush has been the only recent Sonic game that hasn't collected dust after I beat it once.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    OMG! SONICTEAM SUCKS! THIS GAME SUCKS! I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TEH BETA!! YUJI NAKA IS MY GAY FATHER SO I KNOW EVERYTHING SUCKS!

Sersiously though, who are you to boss people around? People can share their views and opinions weather you like them to or not.

7. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Personally I think the game sounds interesting. Not very Sonicy in its storyline, but decent in its own right. For those of us who grew up with the blue hedgehog, we will always be fond of his early days. From a business aspect though, the Sonic of yesteryear just won't sell a well to todays kids. We are different gamers than the new generation and sadly, since we are now a smaller demographic, don't always have much say in the market anymore.

8. Atma

Atma

Nipple Rockets! Pending Member
    My parachute is a knapsack
    Learning Inform 7
    Well, it looks nice and detailed. Small details like things on shoes and such please me very much. The plot, if anything, reminds me of this old 45 minute Sonic anime movie I saw a few years back. The princess/mayor's daughter/obligatory girl in distress was human. Still, I'd have to play it before I passed judgement.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The hour-long Sonic OVA? She's actually a very humanoid anthropomorphic... thing. She has a tail. :P

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
  11. I don't think he was trying to boss people around as such, just to kinda go easy on the bitching. I mean, a good chunk of this thread is flaming the new Sonic game, without real reason. I'll admit, Shadow deserves to be fed his own shit whilst in a cage, but without any gameplay impressions, it's really just pointless. Bet you're getting a bit pissed off with the hating, most of us are.

12. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I'm not trying to boss people around, and if it seems that way, sorry. I'm just sick of most of the reasonless bullcrap. Sorry if I sounded like an ass. Thanks for agreeing with me, GameNerd.

That aside, I like the concept's they're using... Ehh, that's all. =P

13. While the storyline for this next-gen Sonic is a bit hokey, and it's a bit annoying they're making a new character instead of bringing back and old one, plus the mysterious reappearance of Shadow, just as long as the gameplay isn't horrid (I've heard people say bad things about the control schemes in Heroes and Shadow), I wouldn't mind trying it out.

But yeah, I think something's not right when most of us act like bitter old gamers who laud every new Sonic game. Even though some of those games weren't that great... SA2 is one game I'd rather not play again because it wasn't that great. The original SA, while it has flaws, was a decent title.

Maybe we're too rooted into the past and refuse to move on?

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I've seen what happened after Sony hyped everybody up for 3D gaming like nobody's business, and I've concluded that it is immensely difficult to come up with a good rendition of a 2D genre in 3D. Sonic just does not work in 3D, in my view.

15. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Sonic & Knuckles, while being the end of one storyline, was also the precursor to a whole new one, as was written somewhere a few dozen posts up.

There was a mural in the Hidden Palace depicting Super Sonic defeating Robotnik's mech. Even way back then I thought "Oh, there's gotta be something mysterious / legendary about him." Sonic Adventure saw the same thing (as it was actually a chunk of the Sonic 3 backstory rechurned). Sonic Adventure 2 came and we saw that Sonic and Shadow both had the gift of controlling the Chaos Emeralds, and both of them recognize the other as being the ultimate lifeform. Sonic Heroes comes in, and doesn't really add much to SONIC'S plot, but leaves a whole bunch of loose ends for SHADOW. Shadow the Hedgehog came out and we see the finale to Shadow's story arc, which puts SA2, SH, and ShTH together real nice. Now in this one, we see some mysterious being looking for Sonic, who apparently is the Iblis Trigger. It most likely has to do with Sonic being this mysterious foretold being capable of controlling the Chaos Emeralds. Why Shadow is there should be obvious. He has the same gift. His was built into him, but he still has it, so he does have a reason to be there.

That's my theory on it, but it won't affect whether I buy the game or not (Hint: I will)

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    That does kind of make sense. Black Doom could've intentionally built the gift into Shadow, but how did he get it in the first place?

17. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I think the main issue isn't whether we're rooted in the past or not, it's the fact SEGA claimed they were indeed "going back to their roots", then it seems that this was in fact a lie, or at least, not as big a statement as we'd hoped.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't Sonic Rush disprove that already?

19. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    Bionicle, anyone?

20. Yeah, that kinda bothers me. How many times have they been saying now that the series is going back to its roots? 3? 4?

Haven't played Rush, so I can't comment. That reminds me, I should get the Advance games. Are they any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.