don't click here

Spikes in odd place.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlitzHedgie, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlitzHedgie

BlitzHedgie

Brisbane, Australia.
    SRB2 Kart server maintenance
    Once again, sorry if this is old news. (if it is, trash it) But I was testing the progress of my hack, and I found something odd. There are some spikes in an odd place. Even more weirder about it, is if you jump on it, it acts like a spring.

[​IMG]

I'll post the location of it soon

2. Yes, I've known about this for quite a while, I'm pretty sure it's old.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Whether the find is old or not, the question is: Why are the spikes there?

If I were to take a guess, I'd say it would be to prevent any collision glitches from landing in that small section. Try going there in debug mode and going under the spikes, or even move the spikes yourself. See what happens when you land there.

4. BlitzHedgie

BlitzHedgie

Brisbane, Australia.
    Well, I did what Tweaker asked. First I used debug and I went under the spikes, I just fell to the platform below. But when I moved the spikes myself, the bouncing thing was still there. If you hit the spikes a certain way, they will still hurt you. It's in Oil Ocean act 2 and the location is: 0AF7041E

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, the bouncing thing is a collision glitch. OOZ has a lot of them, actually. They just aren't very obvious.

It's possible you can fix this bug, but it would be pretty pointless. When you change the level design, try not to make any setups like that. That is, considering you mind having bugs like this in your levels. Otherwise, do as you see fit.

6. BlitzHedgie

BlitzHedgie

Brisbane, Australia.
    ah ok. Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye out and make sure I don't make the same mistakes. :thumbsup:

7. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    Maybe Sonic Team place that there for nobody jump there and see the bug? (The Worst Theory Ever?)

8. This isn't the only level with spikes in an unusual place. It could have been just another mistake.

9. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    They might have had a diffrent layout at an ealier time and when they redid it the spikes were possibly never moved.

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    If you go down there, you can get caught there, and causes you to go really really fast, it's like a cheat of sorts.

11. It may just be there just because they had no other place to put it, although that's rather unlikely.

12. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    That makes no sense. They didn't need to put it in at all.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    A lot of things Sega did don't make sense. Remember the spikes inside that one tile in CPZ? Completely pointless, but there anyway.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They put them there so you wouldn't see that wierd bug, obviously...

15. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Level Designers often find bugs in the programming that isn't obvious to the programmers. Perhaps these Odd Spikes were originally flags, setup by the level designers, to point the programmers to strange bugs in the gameplay. Then, the bugs could either be tweaked, or if the programmers can't fix the bug, they could leave in the spike to stop those events from happening..

Or.. They're just weird spikes.

16. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    XD

Yeah, well, that little "code" is fun to play around with. Try it sometime. Go up there, without debug and get stuck in there. Get out, and you'll be super fast. It's quite enjoyable.

17. Kampfer

Kampfer

It's not pointless. I one time glitched through the tiles. Without that, I would have been stuck there until "Time Over".

18. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    On top of the odd CPZ spike and OOZ spike placement, there is also a spike that's placed oddly in Metropilos(sp?) Zone, I think it was act three, near a a semi in wall gear tile.

19. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    They put the spikes there to cover up the level design flaw that should have been fixed to begin with, IMO.

20. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    My theory is that it's a bug with the object. That, uh, springy object that launches you up. Yeah. Whatever that's called. It's buggy. The spring zone doesn't properly terminate on that particular instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.