don't click here

Sound Hacking?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SupperTails66, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Does anyone know how to hack sound/music in Sonic 1 and 2?

2. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Im a newb at scripting but I would beleive it would be something to do with codes

for example

Sonic 1 - Green hill zone
    music might be code number 03dc
    and
    Sonic 1 - Scrap yard zone
    music might be code number 06de

all you would have to do there is for example you wanna reverse them to it'd have a bunch of codes and you simply search those values

03dc first, and change that to 06de
    then 06de and make sure its the second one not the first as you've just re-written ghz's music which is the new "first" one, with 03dc

and it would play Scrap yard in Greenhill and Green hill in scrapyard

or so I would beleive, but that's what I think it is

3. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    I know it's possible to hack music, because on Sonicology, I remember hearing about a music hack by some guy called Saxman. If anything I'm saying sounds weird, it's because I just hit my head and still feel woozy. Thanks for the help, too, but I want to put in my own music that I make.

4. BtCE

BtCE

Does Any body know of a Great Sound hacking utility?

5. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    I don't think there is one. Sonic the Hedgehog HackingWizPro can hack the "Sega" sound in Sonic 2...

6. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    There hasn't been as much findings on the music and sound emulation for genesis as there has been for snes. We have GYM and VGM formats that can be recoreded, however they can only record for how long you record them. Genesis and snes like every other cartridges have something in common with music: the music can play forever if you let the game play it for that long. So why doesn't VGM have its own loop scheme when ripped? It's not as natural as it could be. But let's look at what has been figured out for the snes. An entire song can be ripped from an snes rom which can play forever at perfect quality (higher than mp3 due to no mic or other recording noise). The format is for the song requires a specific player or winamp plugin, but for an entire song at 64.5 KB, its perfect. And very compressable too! It sure makes VGM ripping look like a joke. I can't wait for there to be more findings on its natural format that loops like the console will play them.

7. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    How can you substitute GYM music for the music in the game? And is it possible to hack the sound effects? I'd love to put part of the SA2B theme in Green Hill Zone... :D :D :D :D

8. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    The reason this is so difficult is because there's no one way to implement music. Back in the Nintendo days, it did seem everyone programmed it via assembler. But I believe StH actually has a music format. The first trick is finding it. The second is decoding it. Both are something that require much time and struggle.

But okay, fine. You've got it. Now what? The Sega Genesis has 6 FM, 3 PSG, and 1 DAC channel. Each only has one polyphony... that means it can only play one "note" (or technically frequency) at a time. Also, it's not automatic. Each FM channel must be programmed with operator information, PSGs aren't incredibly good for melodies, and the DAC handling of the game will definitely be another world altogether. Is it a patch lookup? Or something more fierce?

Well, folks, it's an incredibly hard task and who knows how limited it might be. There could also be compression. Most likely this is something that is a long time off, if ever, to be something user-customizable from a common moron's standpoint. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.