don't click here

Sonic X - Unused Insert Song (and it's not "Just Call Me Sonic ~Mabushii Kaze ni Nare~")

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    So recently, it came to my attention that the song that the French version of Sonic X Episode 52 used in the remix was an entirely original song that we'd not heard before, due to licensing issues with the original song, Natsu no Hi. However, at first I thought it was just a licensed song, but upon examining it... I don't think this is the case and looking it up and asking around, it seems to be a completely original song that doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

And this is where things get kinda weird.

Sonic X originally had a replacement song in that scene, which was Hikaru Michi and also second ending song (but the full version). When France (along with a few other dubs, including the Taiwanese Mandarin dub) aired the series originally, they curiously left Natsu no Hi intact. When it came time to stream the series again, the song was eventually replaced on Netflix and Amazon France/Canada, with the episode being remixed.

However, the song and track they used to replace the scene in the French dub's new streams is something else entirely and it has lead to some suspicions that this might have been an unused insert song for Sonic X used in the production of the episode, prior to the licensing of Natsu no Hi and then recutting the footage around the song (probably was used temporarily during the Storyboarding and Layout phase of production).

The clip, unlisted, is here (with video seriously reduced to reduce the chance of copyright strike):

Having listened to it, it appears to be a "scratch music track" with even a scratch vocal with what I assume to been finalized lyrics (or close-to). The music has a 70s/80s influence it, but with unfinished instrumentation and vocals, which isn't unusual for production materials to occasionally have (hence the Scratch Track). What is particularly strange is asking around, no one has heard of this song in any capacity. I even reached out to Mana, and she hasn't heard of this either. It does seem to be an unreleased song of sorts that somehow ended up being made available to the French Dubbing studio to remix the episode for recent streaming.

Thanks to two friends of mine (Mana included), we got what appears to be the lyrics now:

While I don't have a translation yet (if I do, I'll update this post), the lyrics seem to fit the mood/idea of the scene and what's happening, adding further weight this was likely intended for this scene.

It's a really bizarre situation and I'd really like more answers on this. It's especially weird if this was a production song and the decisions to not finish up for the home video release and re-airings, given it would (in theory, if finished) fit better than Hikaru Michi.

I don't know if the director or music composer for the series is online in any capacity, but they'd probably be the ones to ask about this and maybe know more about this. Would love to ask them about it.

Either way, this is as far as this goes here for me.

Edit: Added translation, thanks to bluesun!

EDIT #2: Cleared up some details about the French dub replacement track in the above text.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    This sounds like something Whang would make a video on tbh. Wild that it's been 20 years and we're still finding new things about X.