don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god yes.

2. SSNTails

SSNTails

Oldbie
    It's not for fangames. =)

I did make a little video, though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujO7B3Mfhs
    It could also be 2D and used for a lot of other things.

As for the fisheye, SRB2 v2.0 has an "Image Postprocessor" effect in v_video.c where you can apply blit-level image effects to the outputted render frame. This might be something to explore.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

(SANiK)
    JUNGLE_*.def is the level I think that one of you was asking about that was in the video but aint in the kit.

The DEF system supposedly allows the complex shapes in the top-right:
    [​IMG]

Kurisu said they never used those complex shapes and just use cubes and basic slopes, mixed with scale flags and offset flags (no rotation flags).
    This is because paths removed the need for such tiles, simplifying the engine design.

(My post)

Ah! So that's the version of Jade Gully/ Other Jungle level shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftNgzZ3Ovig

Well, at least part of it is clearly shown in the drawings. Andrew 75? Are you going to remake this level using the black and white drawing in SANiK's post and also the video? It is my favorite level shown in any of the videos because it is the most complex, has many enemies, several instances where you use gravity rotate, and the video actually shows how it would have worked. I really love this level, and I hope you actually do include it in your remake.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Yeah we'll be attempting to recreate every single area from the videos and some screens ( at least the sections that are visible)
    The cubes in the picture posted by SANiK has been recreated months ago (well some of the cubes)
    It was a bit difficult to make out exact shapes from that illustration, wonder if there is a high res version floating around out there.

Edit: (actually haven't noticed any of the complex shapes being used in any of the videos or screens)

5. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

And when you do implement certain ones, they'll obviously be all around the levels. Maybe just half of them are missing or something, and you'll be able to see the bigger shapes they were supposed to make. That way you can figure out the other shapes by trying to make up the obvious "big picture". Just something you might want to think about.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I was thinking the same thing ^__^
    haven't had time to play around with that since the new material got leaked.

7. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Not related to the PC version, but rather the Saturn version, but pretty interesting either way. A member of ASSEMblerGames had this to say:

Your thoughts?

8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Someone pointed out a while back that the tech demo we have with Sonic running on the field actually has the floor from the metal sonic boss level, hidden under the grass geometry. When you remove that layer you can clearly see the boss level floor. Could it be that this one base demo is the only build that was ever running on real hardware?

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I dought it. Most likely were a bunch of builds running on Saturn hardware.
    there were probably a few builds each day, so there must have been a 7-20 7-21 7-30 and so on
    maybe a few days were skipped between builds.
    p.s.
    I ripped the floor and all other textures that I could find right off the disk that was leaked.
    would have liked to get ahold of the arena wall, background buildings, background sky, and cloud textures from the boss stage.

at least we have the floor ^__^

10. Granville

Granville

US
    Weren't the cloud textures actually attached to the floor texture in the 718 demo? I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that myself. I figured you could just separate them from the floor, since the floor is solid black.

I had once assumed that the cloud textures on the floor were supposed to be a reflection of the sky above. After all, Sonic is reflected in the floor. I guess Metal Sonic wasn't because it would be stressful on the Saturn's hardware to render that many polygons. Might explain why the rest of the level structure isn't reflected as well as Sonic. Sonic and the clouds are two of the only sprites in the level.

But I did make a cloudless floor texture edit from one of the ones Andrew ripped a while back. Easy stuff, I just cropped the clouds out-

[​IMG]

By the way Andrew, do you and Xeniczone intend to use the Metal Sonic stage and even the other bosses like Nack in your game? Those were really awesome, especially Metal Sonic. The stage was really well designed.

EDIT- Actually, once a long time ago (like years ago when Xeniczone was experimenting in Gamemaker on Senntient) Sanik made some fisheye demos. One was a debug program which had a secret function to enter a metal Sonic boss fight. It replicated the look of the stage perfectly, textures, reflections, all that stuff. You could even move around, and metal Sonic would stay in the middle, the camera staying locked onto him. Twas cool.

11. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Granville, I remember that. Too bad I deleted it.

Cooljerk, how are you coming along with your viewer?

How much would you guys pay me to write a proper viewer. Whoever buys it can decide to release it or whatever.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    What would you consider a respectable amount for your services.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    if your going to do this, may I point out something I noticed?
    I haven't tried this with your current viewer, but since I read somewhere you used Taxman's formula.

I've noticed it was not 100 % correct at re-capturing the fisheye
    The formula works very nicely, but may need some tweaking to perfect it.

While comparing the formula we implemented into our engine threw a vertex shader to
    a screenshot of the PC video that I took and edited, which than was overlaid with realtime transparency controls inside our game engine.
    we added fisheye manipulation controls for our shader to control its amount of fisheyeness in realtime,
    as well as block depth scale manipulation, camera rotations for looking up and down, panning up and down as well as zooming in and out,
    to try to match everything with the screen, we failed at achieving a perfect match up.
    although its still pretty close.

EDIT:
    heres the overlay, seems the lenze formula bends a bit much in ether up or down, this may be due to a difference in whatever screen resolution the fisheye was intended to run by Taxman?
    if the top matches up than the bottom doesn't match up. and vice versa
    in our screen the bottom sort of matches up but not the top. check out the waterfall to the right of sonic,
    if we center it than nothing matches up.
    (also note in this screen here I do not have the correct scale for the blocks depth wise ,
    this was a quick screen to post, even when I adjust the depth scale to the correct perportions its still the same)
    [​IMG]

and heres the fisheye power adjustments which can be controlled in realtime. negative doesn't look so nice hahahah
    [​IMG]

yeah the cloud textures are visible on the floor of the stage in the gamefan magazine scan as well.
    I made a copy of the floor and deleted the floor section than copy-past some of the cloud textures from the border of the texture to the center for the sky.
    its not authentic layout wise but its something at least.

Heres some screens of a stage I did at around the time SANiC released his.
    was never finished since we moved onto other portions of the project, I got a little carried away in modernizing it.
    Xeniczone approved but he kept me from going to far, Now that I think about it, its still to far, if I got my way it would have ended up looking a bit photo-realistic,
    most every major 3d art project I've worked on till I joined the Senntient forums a few years ago was founded in a photorealistic art style.
    this time around I'll go for the authentic stage re-creation.

(Notes: textures are a bit bland here because there is a lack of self illumination)
    (as u can see the metal sonic is upgraded slitly from the SDK model)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Granville

Granville

US
    That's pretty damn impressive and sexy! In one of the magazine shots, those clouds on the right almost remind me of a planet. :P I think you're right, a little bit too photorealistic. Sexy, and a good start, but methinks some of the textures and structure needed some alteration-

1- walls should be shorter
    2- arena should be smaller
    3- Sonic should be bigger with less field of view
    4- entire stage clearly isn't that crisp, needs the classic saturn shake and pixellation :P

Wonderful looking though, and I'd DEFINITELY keep the stage reflections if it were me. Just having Sonic reflected seems superfluous next to yours now lol! It looks spectacular.

Hey SANiK, I know you deleted the files, but do you by any chance remember the song you used for that Metal Sonic tech demo? Kind of offtopic, but it fit so well with it. And I've been looking for it for AGES. If you can tell me anything about it, you have my thanks. It was some remix of the Sonic 2 Robotnik boss theme... I loved that remix, and never found it again. :(

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey, I'm glad u like it ^__^
    That was an early dev level back when we first started. I wasn't trying to match the original in size and scale. (level was never finished, think of it as an un-tweaked Betta)
    the moon was included as well, although the camera wasn't facing that direction when I took the screens.

What you see in the screen will be included in our game as a bonus alternate version to the Saturn looking version in all of its pixelated glory.

16. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    Question for you, Andrew: If you try to remake X-Treme, how are you going to handle the plot and anything the devs never had time to do? (Menus, endings, bosses and such) I know the 32X version of X-Treme had a pretty long script that went over everything, but I don't know if the Saturn version did. Personally, I think I'd like to see that a little more than any beta of X-Treme.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    we're not sure on which story were going with at the moment, when we get farther along we'll open the project up as a community thing where people can vote on it.

18. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Cinossu battle remix or something like that it was called.

This is a troublesome issue, and I've already spent too much time tinkering with it only to get bad results. We'll see if anyone makes any progress in this area.

I don't need the money, I'm just intrigued by idiots spending 2K+ on video game prototypes. So it's a natural question to see how much idiots would spend on rubbish tools for a rubbish game. I'll most likely release it for free.

This is all from scratch again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    SANiK, you wouldn't happen to still have that NiGHTS model ripper, would you?

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey SANiC! glad to see your working on it again!
    Will this be a viewer or playable game?

Also a question about the block sizes....you posted earlier that blocks are scaled up to 1.45 on Z
    when you say Z you mean up and down right? I've seen some apps display z as some other direction.
    also you mentioned that fisheye scales the blocks toward the back a bit (Y axis) , about how much would u say?
    I've got them scaled at about double the size over here.

any extra tech info on cube sizes would be a godsend,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.