don't click here

Sonic X is no longer licensed in the United States

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    So, it's been awhile since I've posted here, but I figure I'd mention this.

After 11 years of the series being on air and distributed in the United States, Sonic X's airing finally came to an end with the closure of the Vortexx. However, that's not the only thing that has ended. Back around April of this year, a forum user on the Saban Talkback thread, over at Toonzone, had hinted that Sonic X would be gone for good this fall. However, some had speculated it just meant the end of the Vortexx block, once that news had hit. However, that is not the case.

As of the beginning of this month, Sonic X's license with Saban Brands has ended. The rights have been reverted back to TMS Entertainment, based off information on Hulu's publisher for the series. What this essentially means that Saban can no longer legally distribute or sell the series in the states. However, this does open the possibility of someone else picking the series and re-distributing the series on DVD over here.

As for digital distribution, TMS Entertainment appears to be continuing distribution on Hulu, so for people who want to watch the series (Subbed or Dubbed), it's all available still.

Honestly, if anyone wants to see the series distributed on DVD again here in the states, I'd personally recommend inquiring Discotek Media. The company, though small, has a very good relationship with TMS Entertainment, releasing quite a number of their titles, such as the Lupin series, Sherlock Hound, Cyber Six, and such. Plus, they've been known to release their series both in Dubbed and Subtitled fashion, even for shows that were Edited only, though through separate releases. Having owned their releases, they're generally high quality and seem to actually care about what they put out, even reaching out to fans to help out with their releases sometimes.

Their facebook is located here, if anyone wants to ask them.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So were sure that Saban is no longer in control?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And Samurai Pizza Cats, which coincidentially also used to belong to Saban.

They did a great work with that property, by the way, publishing both the localized version and the subtitled original in two different sets (despite the odd decision of leaving the latter's cover in Japanese).

4. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    I'm pretty sure. The fact that Sonic X was the only title removed from Saban's "Vortexx" publishing Page on Hulu, is a good sign of this being the case. Plus, I trust the mention of Sonic X being gone "forever" over at Toon Zone, since the guy gave information to us in the past that wasn't known to the public initially.

Yep! I actually have the Japanese version sitting next to me. Still haven't gotten to watch fully yet, but the subtitles and translations seem acceptable.

Regarding the Japanese logo, apparently they were going to use a different logo with a Translation, but the Japanese rights holder made them use the original one, complete with Japanese name and all.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Hm, maybe that means they might finally release a subbed version of it with the correct soundtrack and non-terrible voice cast. =P

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Not like that would do a ton; Japanese or English dubs, Sonic X got pretty horrendous pretty quickly :P

Though it would be interesting to see a non-4Kids english dub... despite Roger Craig Smith's way of playing Sonic is completely different from the style of the show.

7. Xilla

Xilla

I'm sure Mike Pollock would be happy to redub it too, since he has mentioned that he felt his performance was pretty flat in the first batch of episodes (the director pretty much told him to try to emulate Deem Bristow and keep the voice low).

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    They'd have to work out a deal to get the rights to use the Off Course songs, wouldn't they? I imagine that might be a bit pricy. Although if they weren't able to and had to use the crappy filler songs, I wouldn't mind seeing this get a proper re-dub/re-release in the US someday.

9. Retroman

Retroman

It's shit, no one cares

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Sonic X was kinda cool when I twelve. Just seeing a Sonic cartoon on TV was pretty awesome (besides re-runs of AoStH on Toon Disney). But in the end, Sonic X is just the crappy storytelling of the Sonic games of that era without any of the gameplay to make it tolerable. It's way too embarrassing to watch in English or in Japanese.

11. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Sonic X in Japanese was so much better either way. I honestly liked the English cast, but the obnoxious brass section spam didn't fit Sonic all too well for me, even for the blue nude dude with a 'tude. The Japanese OST is far more thrilling and modern. Sonic X could've been better, but it wasn't that bad.

Even then, I can't say I had much interest in the show after the first season myself. Didn't quite agree with the direction the series took and lost interest. (The characters not returning to their home world was a painful tease.) The same went for the excellent TMNT 2003 cartoon that also aired on FoxBox, with them simply not letting Shredder die after a fairly epic conclusion in the first season. Is it really that scary for writers to explore something new after a big story arc, instead of pretending a non-static universe reset itself?

Personal opinion aside, I wouldn't mind seeing a physical DVD release again. (I get angry over hiccups too easily to watch a show on streams.) Sonic X had its moments, and a pretty good bit of nostalgia for me. It was one of those last Saturday morning cartoons I was excited to get up in the morning for with my sis.

I seriously need to find those DVDs when I can afford it. Just barely remember Samurai Pizza Cats from my childhood, but I love the Famicom game to pieces, and some of the clips I've seen of the show recently showed me how much of its humor went over my head back then.

12. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Would be great to get an Uncut release of Sonic X by Discotek, since the Japanese DVDs have some volumes sould out and the French DVDs have some problems - and none of them have subtitles, which is a great reason to see a release of the uncut version.

And I hope with Sonic Boom in Japan, TMS to consider release a Sonic X DVD/Blu-Ray Box.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    A redub would be nice, but Sonic X is still awful regardless of voice talent. May it never return.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    We should at least get this series a proper DVD release ala how AOSTH and SATAM got one (Not sure about SU). if Saban isn't in control any longer it should be allot easier to ask for them (either TMS or its distributor) to consider a full series set.

No, you don't care. don't lump me the rest of us into your personal opinion.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I quite liked the show, actually. Still keep meaning to getting around to watching #53 onwards.

16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I always thought the voice cast was just fine. The dub had more than its share of problems, but between shitty voice direction (common with 4Kids) and shitty translation completely original writing, no cast could've done anything good with it.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I still need to do that too. I think I got three episodes into the 3rd series before I stopped.

18. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Many of the 4Kids actors are Broadway, so it's not like they don't have the chops either. Andrew Rannells (the voice of Decoe, E-102 among others) was the original lead in Book of Mormon for example. But 4Kids dubs are notoriously cheap and lazy, I wouldn't be surprised if they let the actors record the lines once or twice and got them out of there as soon as possible.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Gamma and the robots are prime examples of your point, those were terrible directions and no way close to the source material.

But somehow Omega in SHTH was dead on hell it even sounded the same as his Heroes VA. too bad the VA only stuck around for 1 game.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Wait, are you saying Gamma spoke in Sonic X? I swear, in the German dub (which was based straight on the 4kids-dub), he was mute.