don't click here

Sonic Worlds Delta 1.4.3 APS Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Techokami, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I cleaned it up a little and added more to the main description, and replaced the old file with the current one. I tried uploading the 7z file and gave it a custom name, but this glitched the download (clicking the link opened a page of gibberish). I couldn't delete the file or replace the name, so I had to upload the zip instead. Maybe an admin can fix that.

A lot of that description about submitting custom levels to a contest and treating Worlds like that's its main purpose seems rather undermining and irrelevant nowadays. Maybe that should be removed or rewritten?

2. Xilla

Xilla

After some 14 years of downloading and playing fangames, I finally decided to give Sonic Worlds a go - I never could figure out those fancy static engines that were all the rage back then(!) so this is a real godsend for someone who just wants to design some stages and have fun doing it :)/>/> It's absolutely fantastic!

Came across a bug though, in a stage I've been working on - after a certain point Sonic just stops colliding with everything. Also he can't interact with any objects I've placed since this started occuring.

This is probably just something very obvious I've overlooked, anyone have any idea??

EDIT: Nevermind! I'd been placing everything on the parallax layer by accident, doh!!

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    A release thing you say?

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It was this. In the readme file I mention using Sonic Worlds would be a better choice, but the only place to get Sonic Worlds was mainly just forum threads and that's always been a little weird to me for anything

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Question: Was this going to be in this Sage as well?

6. Xilla

Xilla

I'm probably overlooking something obvious here (as usual) but this happens whenever I try to make a boss area:

http://youtu.be/5aTSkfXs5Nc

(Placeholder graphics ahoy!)

7. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

The Key spamming Pac-Man main Member
    OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    Oh, damn, that looks bad...are you absolutely sure that you removed anything unnecessary from each layer in that area and made sure tiles and what not are the correct area? Otherwise, it may be the coding of the boss inadvertently hurting Sonic.

8. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    The original intention was that it was. 1.4.4 is being worked on with mainly under-the-hood improvements, as well as some other things that'd make Felik really happy*. However, we** didn't have enough time to finish it properly, so the release was held back until next SAGE, which'll be in February for some dumb reason.

* - Trying to avoid spoilers, but one of the goals is to completely replace Tails' flight code with a more accurate implementation based on the S3K disassembly. We've done this already with the spin tunnels.
    ** - I'm mentoring Mr. Potatobadger from SFGHQ as a potential replacement steward for Delta. He's been doing a great job so far!

9. Felik

Felik

Oh you! Sonic Worlds is a spectacular engine. Overture proved it to me.
    And THANK YOU for making Tails flight mode not so ridiculously overpowered.

10. Machenstein

Machenstein

I wonder if it's possible to do that gliding bounce move as Knuckles when you make him glide right before hitting an enemy or monitor. I wasn't able to pull off that move in the SAGE Act 1 demo I played.

Where can I get that remix of Azure Lake?

11. Xilla

Xilla

Here :) The guy's done a few nice remixes.

Checked the layers in the area surrounding the boss area, everything looks fine to me :-/

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    So are there any plans to make this engine more... scaleable?
    For instance, the aspect ratio. There's no reason to keep it at 4:3 when 16:9 is FAR more prevalent these days. I feel like the Stealth/Taxman remakes proved that its really freaking awesome to play classic Sonic games in widescreen.
    Also, there are certain parts of the engine that get really messed up at different resolutions. For instance, Gimmick_Lift_Base.
    There are many parts that could be made much more user friendly by not assuming everyone is using the same resolution. HUD elements could be made far more scaleable simply by programming their positions in terms of proportions, instead of specific coordinates. (I.e. HUD element X is positioned 1/10 of the way down the screen and 2/10 of the way across the screen) + - Please forgive me if none of that made any sense whatoever.  

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Welcome to the hell that is MMF2. That's only the beginning.
    Good for simple games, for anything more serious, it's a nightmare. The evil trick it plays on you is that at first it seems like it's equipped to do more advanced things, leading you into a labyrinth of horrors.
    As excellent as Sonic Worlds itself is, it's ultimately a huge waste of effort for a system that can barely manage it, and it's really a shame. An engine that good deserves to be in something much better, MMF2 severely restrains it. Construct 2 is basically MMF2 but far better in almost every way, if anything should have an engine like Worlds it's that, and I believe it's long overdue for one.

14. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    ...Very few of the issues I just mentioned are the fault of the engine. Most of them are a result of the way Sonic Worlds itself was coded.
    Does anyone have an answer for the question I actually asked, rather than an unrelated rant? Not trying to be rude.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Okay, the answer is no, there are no such plans, because it would require doing things that MMF2 makes a living hell. My point was to not depend on Worlds and campaign/contribute for a much smarter solution if you want such things.

16. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Righty-o, then. Has anybody looked into creating a 2D Sonic framework in Unity? I know Unity's 2D support is more jury-rigged then a 2D-only engine, but its free, accessible, cross-platform and virtually devoid of limits.

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I can say that yes this has certainly been looked into and I may or may not be part of such a project going on right now wink.

18. winterhell

winterhell

No, there is no public 2D Sonic engine for Unity(or for any of the 3D engines).
    Unity3D, UDK and UE4 are even slower than MMF2 for 2D games.
    And for Unity3D, who is going to teach the designers to code in C#?

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Not true on both counts. A half-decently designed engine in Unity is going to be faster than an MMF2 engine, and there's nothing stopping an engine designer from creating a scripting language for implementing objects.

Speaking of which, I'm currently porting my engine over to Unity. Maybe one day I'll actually finish it.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I thought Unity didn't handle pixels so well? I took a crack at it and decided better of it.