don't click here

Sonic without slope physics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by True Dude, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Not 100% on-topic, but why did they leave out slopes in Mario Maker anyway?

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    There's never been an official answer, but I would assume it was either:

• They couldn't implement it in an acceptably user-friendly manner in the grid-based editor.
    • It didn't occur to them.
    • The implementation would've been different enough as to require substantially more complex or new code and a separate UI.

I would've liked to at least see Super Mario World's triangle slope blocks make a return, though. It wouldn't have been as good as proper sloped terrain, but it would've been a major step up from what we got.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just put Sonic in Castle of Illusion. =P

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

"Sonic without slope physics": Rayman Origins and Legends to some degree?

5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    No slope physics doesn't mean no slopes in levels, it just means no angle affected momentum, which is bad but not going down to the level of generic platformers. IIRC I still have Castle of Illusion for Master System, I liked it more than his Mega Drive counterpart, the one my aunt had. :v:

6. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    [​IMG]

7. Look up "Sonic Origins 2". Game Gear based fan-game, not a single slope to be found. Actually a lot of fun to play.

8. Smashbro

Smashbro

I would say this hypothetical game wouldn't be considered a Sonic game, would it? A big part of speed is momentum. Slopes are a major part of attaining speed. I mean, how else would a ball roll on its own for an extended period without a slope to role down?

Shuttle loops, another part of a sonic game would be impossible without slopes. You want to play a sonic game without shuttle loops? of course not. It's part of the spectacle of going fast.