don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What are you talking about? Speed Highway in particular was really bad in that regard -- especially as Tails. The one level that they put invisible walls in, and they don't keep you from falling to your doom anyway.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Are you talking about falling to your doom or glitches? SA 1's glitches usually stayed out of the way for me. As for death pits, EVER level in Sonic Heroes was like that, in Sonic Adventure, it was only a few of them.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'll agree that Heroes had more death pits, yes, but I did think we were talking about the glitches more than anything else.

EDIT: now make more sense do I

4. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    To be honest, I thought all the glitches in Sonic Adventure added onto the fun.

5. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    The SA DC glitches NEVER got in your way like that - you barely notice them unless you try to pull off something really ridiculus. And even pulling off ridiculus stunts worked much better in SA than it did in SA2 / Heroes.

...for a challenge, try standing on various background scenery (Windy Valley, Red Mountain and Twinkle Park act 2 come to mind) in SA DC. Now try and do the same in Sonic Heroes...or SA2...

On topic, my guess is that Unleashed will be fun to play during daytime and boring during the night (smash stuff, open door, repeat). But I'd be more worried about controls ...because they like totally broke Sonic Heores and Sonic 06... not about glitches.

6. Dragstik

Dragstik

I'm actually more worried about the low FPS that runs in the Sonic parts of the levels.
    In the latest trailer you can see that the Sonic parts go at 30-15 FPS give or take while the werehog parts run at 60 FPS smoothly.

7. Phos

Phos

For some reason, in the China trailer, possibly due to crappy video editing, Sonic's parts repeat every frame once. The video itself is at 29.97 fps, according to Quicktime. The E3 trailer was the same way, but there's a 30 fps version on the Japanese Site. That off-screen footage of Mykonos was at 30 fps, with some occasional chugging (although it's not as bad as some people here make it sound). I have no idea why the China trailer is like that, because they managed to get together enough slow down free footage to make the Europe trailer. The lat time we saw unedited footage from the game was about a moth ago, and they still have all of October. Like I said, Sega apparently plans on licensing the Hedgehog engine, so I drought they'll let Sonic Unleashed NOT run well when it's released.

8. Dragstik

Dragstik

Possibly that explains why the China trailer seems so low on FPS.
    However in other trailers you can see that most of the full running parts are also low on FPS.

Example: in High Europe trailer everything looks like running on 30 FPS and when Sonic falls down on that hole it looks like it runs on 60 FPS.

9. Phos

Phos

Sonic Unleashed runs at 30 fps. According to Quicktime, the Europe trailer also runs at 30 fps. The whole trailer maintains the same frame rate.

10. Why do you guys want a PERFECT game? Jesus, who gives a fuck what FPS it runs at, as long as it plays fine.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Because the fucking FPS is what can cause us to fuck up in a game.

Go play a game where the frame rate chugs and you need to be able to time shit accurately to get through. Where's your "fine" game now.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Anything above 20fps is fine with me under most circumstances. It's playable.

If it shifts in and out above that it won't affect me at all, assuming no extra lag on top of the frameskips below the maximum.
    Lower than that, though and you get the reason why I don't play much of Half Life 2.

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Sonic Genesis would like to have a word with you.

14. Rokkan

Rokkan

Since when does Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis actually plays fine?

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    In any case it depends on whether it's based on frameskip or lag. The former is, like I say, acceptable up to like an effective 20 fps. The latter is bad, though better for timed sequences barring the Sonic 3 level select.

16. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    If the frame rate 'chugs', usually it goes below 30FPS; above that I have no problem. I never noticed any framerate problems in SA1 DX either. Indeed, I get A ranks in it regardless of the parts where some may claim framerate becomes an issue.

There is no need to combat other people's opinion in this case; it is a matter of taste as to what people like in framerates, and obviously, you want it smooth or nothing at all. Unless your definition of chugging is below 30 FPS. Then I would agree; it can be distracting or off-putting. Even then, it can be timed against, even in really random frame rate chugging like in SSB online play with people across the continent.

In short, there's no excuse FOR bad frame rate, but if the game has enough to not be noticable to the person, then it is not a factor.

What framerate do you see in the current Unleashed videos, anyway?

Also, the above sonic Genesis insanity: Sonic Genesis chugs even by my standards, but even if you removed that, the physics are wonky, so it's not the best example. A better one might be how parts of Sonic Spinball can potentially lag (sometimes on purpose!!!), and Sonic Adventure's notorious random framedrops. Playing fine is interrupted when the rate of frames becomes too low and you wind up literally waiting moments for an action a few seconds in length. When it is unpredictable and fights all attempts to compensate against... etc.

In my book; probably not yours.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Unleashed is clocked at 30 fps.

I find 30fps second acceptable, hell I don't mind it. Just as long as it stays at 30fps and doesn't fall below.

Unfortunately, from all the previews and trailers we've seen, the game seems to love going far below that.

I don't care if this shit could be timed against it, it shouldn't be in it in the first place. Especially when you capped your engine at 30fps. If you're not going to push it to 60fps, at least make your god damn game run 30fps consistently.

Hopefully the game will be iron the issues out, but we only have a few months until the shit hits stores, and I don't really have confidence in SEGA's programming abilities anymore.

18. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    ... good point :(
    But I think one of the biggest problems with it WAS the FPS. I might be remember wrong though.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I wouldn't say it was the biggest, but it was one of the more annoying ones. The whole game is just a black hole of failure, though.

20. Dragstik

Dragstik

FPS is a GIANT deal.

I have to play Sonic Heroes at 30 FPS due to my graphics cards being incredibly outdated.
    I tried 20 FPS just to see if it speeds up. It DID speed up, but had to deal with a lot of glitches and the characters falling off the stage.

Not to mention that Sonic Riders is also shit at 15 FPS.

EDIT: Also:
    No. In video editing the standard FPS is 30, however the game may actually run slower.
    Example: Let's say you are running a game at 15 FPS and you record it. When you watch the video it says 30 FPS because that's the speed of the video NOT the actual game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.