don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    If you are saying that when I die I blame the game all the time you are a fucking dick. I will die for valid reasons but some of the stages are fucking broken in design in places.

2. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Woo, I have internet again!

Anyway, I just downloaded the patch, and I've been getting all the hotdogs for Adabat recently, and I've noticed a significant difference in the frame rate for it.

Great improvement ^^

I'm going to get the DLC soon too

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm not sure if this was posted here, but I'll just C&P from my post at Stadium.
    And yay, a load of us were right about this. It's supposed to be Clay Castle, not Cray Castle. And besides that, Clay Castle would only refer to one and a half stages because the rest are all in the tree are.

4. Graxer

Graxer

I think the DLC is brilliant. Especially the 2 new night acts and day act 5. Although I do hope that, assuming there is going to be an adventure pack for every continent, we get new full length day levels, and not just full length night levels. Im not overly keen on the "laps" day idea. (Although I enjoyed day act 5)

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Guess that puts that mystery to an end. Do all the levels have different names in World Adventure?

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Not all of them, cause I'm pretty sure that the sound gallery page still lists Jungle Joride as Jungle Joyride. It'd be interesting to know if there were anymore differences in stage names though.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Weren't around during the NES days were you?

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I wasn't, but I can't say I'm fond of games that have a trial-and-error method of gameplay. Half the time I'm playing this game I think I'm really playing Battletoads, not a new Sonic game. If they put the quick-step mechanic in the next Sonic game -- that is design levels and areas around it -- I will not buy it, even if it eventually makes it to the PC, as that to me is the penultimate example of that concept; the game forcing you forward while you hit one button in fast-paced QTEs, effectively, which if you get wrong in some of the later levels basically lead to death insantly.

Funny thing that now that I'm not a kid rolling in free time but basically an adult with a lot of things to take care of that I can't make such large investments in time trying to get through a difficult game. Hence why the Mega Man series doesn't appeal to me -- if I played it when I had the patience and time to do so, I might actually care about it now. However I now do not.

At least ranking for these hard levels doesn't mean anything, as no achievement comes from it. If I actually bought them I'd be okay with just finishing without a game over.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    You consider the Quick Step Trial-&-Error?

The fuck is wrong with you?

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Played the Missing Sister mission too many times, I guess.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Actually muteKi, I'd say that on that particular mission there's a probelm with how responsive the controls are, and quick-stepping always seems to be the biggest problem. Boosting along that final wall for some reason makes it difficult for the game to register a second press of the quick-step button resulting in Sonic getting a face full of spikes, almost Advance 2 style. I find that Chun-Nan also has problems with unresponsive controls when and you're boosting. It's like boosting is too much too be handled sometimes.

That said I've got to agree that QTEs that can result in death (no matter how long they are) are unfair. I remember in interviews they asked if you would ever be punished for failing to pull off a QTE correctly and they always responded with something ot the effect of "I don't believe you should be penalized for that".

12. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    I might be a bit late on this one but here's my view. Playing this game feels weird. You spend most of the time holding right on the analoge stick and occasionly pressing the A button (X for you PS2-3 people) and the all of a sudden the camera completely changes with no warning and you're running into enemies left right and centre.

And as far as the warehog goes. It was the same thing with the last Zelda game. Not a lot of people want to play as a wolf, they wanted to play as link and the same goes for sonic. The warehog stages are slow and can be done so easily by pressing the X button (Sqaure).

Anyway, I'll be quite now, I've already said too much lol.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Does that mean Sonic games should be based on trial and error and rote memorization?

And the quick step only serves to make this game more like a series of QTE's.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Quick step is very convenient IMO. Good addition

only thing I don't like is QTE that lead to death if you fail them D:

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Incidentally Sonic was never an NES game (and obviously pirate carts don't count).

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    In fact, wasn't he made to be better than any NES game?

17. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Heh. I've so been waiting for some DLC for this game. Yet, I still dream with a aditional content that would allow the player to play levels from the end to the beginning.

But SEGA is putting so much effort in this game and everything that I might as well still keep hoping for it!

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Guess what? I was.

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Just wanted to say the only DLC worth a damn is In Level Super Sonic. The day they come out with that is the day I pawn all my current crap to buy this game new.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    (A) It's an observation on the fact that a majority of the NES games were built on the principle of making you lose with cheap deaths. At no point did I mention Sonic.

GG Phag.

No it doesn't. Quick Step gives you more precise control over Sonic. Rather than trying to lightly move slightly left or right at high speeds you can just tap a button. Can't figure out how to use it? So sad. You must hate progression in your games when they try to do something new.

(B) See A

See (B)

Then why are you crying?

"Hard Mode" is a different spin of the original level. It's meant to be absolute bullshit. It's meant to do everything it can to want to stop you from reaching the end. That's why it's called "hard". Your standard journey is now made much more difficult by addition of traps, enemy placement modifications, lack of items, or just making everything give you more damage or have the enemy take more.

You don't want any of this? That's why the original version of the level is there. So you don't have to deal with this shit that irks you so much.

Going through the level, I'm honestly amazed at the extent of changes SEGA went into making this level a bitch. They didn't just remove rings here and there, or placed enemies in awkward places, they went all out and even changed the layout of the levels as well and made the term "Hard" actually mean it, unlike a bunch of pussy shit games today that cop out on making things difficult on the player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.