don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    There are gaia gates in the 360 version. They're fun - I don't get why everyone hates on them. The best ones are the ones which require you to switch between sonic and the werehog segments to reach acts, like in spagonia.

And there are 1-ups in the gaia gates. I know, because there's one in Apotos, across the bridge where the robots are. If you enemy bounce from the flying things, you can reach one.

EDIT: Oh, I called those little entrance stages gaia gates, my bad. Yeah, there's no actual gaia gates like in the wii version. This is an improvement.

2. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sounds good to me. Man, everything about this game generally sounds good, I'll try my hardest to make enough money so I can buy this soon. Damn, I need a job. :)

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Just set money aside each week. That's how I bought them - I sacrificed grocery money to put aside for both version. Preordering games is nice since you can pay similar to lay away.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wow dude, we're on some psychic level tonight.

Haha, by the way, I didn't find out until I got to Shamar that I could drift with the B button. I'm dumb as fuck. I kept thinking "it's gotta be one of those special shoe upgrades, I'll get it eventually". Wow.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

You never did Mazuri Act 2, huh? Because it's basically a big drifting mission. It's pretty much a tutorial stage masked as an actual level.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh wow, to be honest, I don't think I've gone back to Mazuri since I did Act 1 and the boss. I don't really know why, I've gone back and done all the others.

I do like how some of them are tutorial stages in disguise. I loved Holoska's "we're going to train you to run on water" Act, it was nuts.

7. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Do the extra acts in each continent feel like actual levels, or do they feel like gimmicky "mini-games" of sorts? I mean like, I only saw one optional act, the one in Apotos where you're suspended in the air by rails and you hop from rail to rail, do all extra acts have a gimmick like this? I wouldn't mind it either way, but it'd be nice if each act played pretty much like a real level.

8. Vinsent

Vinsent

All of the 2nd/3rd acts are short levels with some sort of gimmick and last about 2-5 minutes.

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    There are some that feel...kinda gimmicky, and some that feel like actual levels, only not quite as long as Act 1.

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    That's not too bad, I guess. I guess it's cool for there to be one "main" level, with the other 2 serving as kind of a test on a certain ability, with the Apotos one testing your grind skills.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Acts 2 and 3 usually are a lot more difficult than act 1, usually with a level gimmick - either entirely in 2D or with some really intensive 3D platforming. For example, Chun-nan act 2 is entirely side scrolling (with it's gimmick being that the floor is made of water), while Chun-nan act 3 is entirely in 3D (with it's gimmick being that the level is filled with those rotating platforms we saw in the trailer). And these acts are pretty long sometimes. Additional daytime acts are extremely short on the wii version, and usually have a secret rings sytle mission objective (don't break any pots in this level littered with them, for example). By contrast, the 360 version has extra levels where all that's required is that you get to the end of the zone. Just speed through and reach the goal. And every level has 3 acts.

This is all in general, though. There are some additional acts that are just like another act 1. Really, if you're worried about Sonic content, don't be. This game is over flowing with daytime stages.

EDIT: But I get your apprehensiveness. In, say, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic and Shadow accounted for, what, 25% of the game? It's not unreasonable to be weary about the amount of sonic content. That said, there is undoubtedly more daytime than nighttime in this game.

EDIT DOS: To give you an example, Chun-nan act 2 is entirely 2D. It's a style of 2D that isn't really shown off in the videos - it's not stright up 2D, but more like NiGHTS. The levels is actually like a spiral staircase, where you're running around this big 3D pillar. So, if you fall from a jump later in the level, it's not a pit of death. Rather, you just fall back down the level to a lower part.

A lot of the 2D bits are built like this. And it works really well.

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Does each level/continent get those optional "find x rings" "collect x chao" "beat the level in x amount of time" missions? Those added much time to the game's replayability, regardless if some of them were ridiculously difficult or unfair, that's why they're optional. If those aren't in the game I won't mind, but if they are I'll be pretty happy so long as they're optional.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Nope. For the most part, the levels are overwhelmingly "get to the end of the level" style on the 360. However, the Wii version is full of those "collect x rings, find x shit" style levels.

14. Vinsent

Vinsent

Each level has them(Act one only) as missions except for the collect x chao. I've only seen that in spagonia act 3.

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Ah, that's okay. I perfer full on levels anyway, better to have a little bit of good (Granted, it looks like there's more than a "little" bit of Sonic gameplay in Unleashed) than a lot of shit anyway.

EDIT: Oh okay, nevermind then. :P

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    The daytime levels are hellafun even though I know they're lacking. I"d give it a rent but ONLY if you can't buy the other one.
    I THOUGHT THAT WAS JUST ME! The big problems is there's a delay between holding down the button and when Sonic actually grabs. So I think "Oh shit, it didn't work!" and I let go of the button and try again, only to watch Sonic grab the thing and then let go falling to his death. I can't tell you how many times I did this. I just started to trust Sonic after a while. If I saw a homing attack thing, and I pressed R1, I just put my faith that he would grab the thing. He did 99% of the time, I can only think of one time when he didn't.

Also question for those with the 360 one:
    In the PS2 one you always have 3 werehog acts in every level, but only 1 day time act. Does the 360 version have more than one day time act? And I'm not just talking about missions, I mean actually have different acts as in 1 and 2? If so, it's a crime that the PS2 was robbed of this. :)

Also why is my reply not showing up on the main page of the forums?

So in the 360 version homing attack is two buttons?... in the PS2 one it's X just like always, weird.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

This is gonna sting - In the 360 version, every stage has 3 daytime acts and 2 night time acts. And the daytime acts are levels, not "get x rings, or don't hit these pots" style missions. Their only objective is to get to the end of the stage.

Also, the hubs for getting to the levels are entirely different in the 360 version.

18. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Yeah it's really a shame that they made the PS2 version so different. Especially since that's the only one I can buy :) I don't even see how they can call this the same game -_- In fact I had to play two continents filled with werehog stuff before I unlocked the day time stages in them. It's a shame, really... I don't know why they did that. I want the PS3 version so badly.

TBH I wouldn't mind the werehog stages if it wasn't for those many pits o doom. There aren't any in the daytime but the werehog levels are full of them. And I can't get extra lives, it's crazy.

So any chance this'll be on the PC?

Also what's the homing attack like? In PS2 it's X like it's always been but I'm hearing it's different in the 360 one.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh my God, fuck Shamar's night stage.

There's some door that you need four keys for, so you have to do a bunch of fighting to get them, and there's one group of enemies that just keeps respawning over and over again. I killed them all like four or five times. I keep getting killed because those fucking bees keep charging me while my attacks can't hit them for shit. Is there something I'm missing here? Like some switch that keeps them from respawning? The game's difficulty all of a sudden spiked out of nowhere. I don't mind difficulty, but this is downright cheap.

20. Jeiku

Jeiku

I bought the PS2 version yesterday. I really have no plans on buying a next-gen system within the next five years (tight with money issues), so this is all I can currently go by, watered down version or not. However, I'm actually highly enjoying it. The music is great, and both the Sonic and Werehog stages are fun to romp around in and replay.

My main complaints, as addressed by others before, include the severely high Sonic-to-Werehog stage ratio... If they were going to cut levels from the Wii/PS2 version, why couldn't they have ditched one Werehog act and utilize that space for another Sonic stage? I enjoy the Werehog's gameplay to a degree, but the controls are just wank; it's difficult to latch onto things, and when grabbing onto a ledge or scooting against a wall, you can't just push left or right to move along if the camera is angled at a certain position. Also, they should have just assigned a run button for the Werehog instead.

But regardless, this is definitely worth my time. The fact that I'm enjoying this, though, makes me feel bad that I won't get a chance to play the HD version anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.