don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    That, and it controls worse than Sonic 06. You touch the analog stick in a werehog stage, and you die. I'm not joking, and 99% of the time the grab button doesn't work, causing you to fall down a bottomless pic, and there's around 3-5 werehog stages for every Sonic stage. yeah, a 1:5 ratio is not cool.

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one who had this problem. It's awful.

I finally got my hands on the 360 version, by the way. About to go play it now.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I have a question folks!

In the 360 version, where's Wentos? I want to buy shit from him.

4. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    so I was just chilling in Mazuri, and I bought a chili dog, an effing chili dog. It even went as far as to say it was Sonic's fav. food. There's also like this hot dog vender guy that you get collectables for for doing the side missions.

X3

I'm not really happy with where I am right now. I'm at Chun Nan but don't have enough medals to get in the portal so I have to replay stuff. haha. (also the frame rate is horrendous in that area when playing as werehog)

and as for the comments about the broken grabs, they're broken on 360 too :rolleyes:. If you get used to the way it works you can do it flawlessly, it's just a little clunky.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Finally, Sonic's love of Chili Dogs is canonized :P

Also yes, unfortunately the framerate is not flawless. These drops mostly occur in the Hubs and level areas (The place where you go to enter the different acts).

6. Shade

Shade

Chili Dogs in a Sonic game, as his canonical favorite food?

This fucking game fffffffffffffffffff

I kept drawing parallels between AoStH and the cartoony presentation of this game (and how well it worked), but damn. Damn.

7. lol there is a typo thing in a tutorial. It said, "Let do a hammer" or something like that. LET, instead of LETS

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Never mind the fact that "Lets do a hammer" sounds funny enough already.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    For those without enough medallions to continue - one werehog level is rougly equal to 3 or 4 Daytime levels in terms of medallions. You'll get 8 or 9 medallions easily in a single werehog level, which opens up a lot of gates. It's almost the exact opposite of the wii version.

By the way, guys - the second half of the game? When the new stages open up (they open up in halves)? AWESOME. Way better than even the first half.

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I was watching videos of the Wii version, and I'm extremely unimpressed. 360 version looks brilliant though, but I can tell even during Sonic's stages that Wii users got gimped.

Also, I heard that the flow of the game is non-linear and after Apotos you can pretty much enter any continent you want as long as you have enough medallions. Is there any truth to that?

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yes, kinda. You have access to 1/2 the levels after apotos, and you can play any level in that set. When you beat the... 3rd(?) continent, the other half of the game opens up.

And as I almost finish the 360 version, I can confirm one this - the wii version and the 360 version are 100% different. Entirely different. Completely different games. The only thing that's shared is the story and low-resolution versions of the 360 textures. Every level is different - even the werehog levels (which are much better in the 360 version), and the number of levels is staggeringly different. As has been said, the werehog to sonic ratio is 3:1 in the wii version. It's 2:3 in the 360 version (2 night time acts and 3 day time acts per level). It flat out looks like Sonic Team out developed Dimps by a wide margin.

I've almost unlocked every daytime act in the game. Going through the map and seeing all these stages with 3 sonic acts makes me feel like I'm playing a classic sonic game in 3D. 7 stages x 3 acts each... that's a full classic sonic game.

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Aren't there 8 or 9 continents in the 360 version?

But either way, yes, 7 stages with 3 acts each is definitely classic Sonic esque. Every continent has 3 acts, right? Also, how long are Werehog levels? I hear that they can last up to 30 minutes in length, which I'm not too happy about.

I'm glad to hear that the 360 and Wii versions are that different too, because the Wii version looks pretty bad in my opinion.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The ratio of Hedgehog:Werehog in Sonic Rush Wii makes me think that Sonic Teams was expecting more from Dimps than they delivered. Doesn't Sonic Rush have 2 Acts per Zone?

E: And out of the continents I've done so far, Act 2 and 3 haven't been full levels. Doesn't really matter much to me, Act 1 is usually 4-5 minutes long, even traveling at these speeds.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I'm not so sure Sonic Team developed the werehog levels in the wii version. They're different from the PS3/360 version (and better on the PS3/360).

15. I haven't played the 360 version yet, but the the only complain I have about the Wii, is the homing attack/boost 'thrust' I can never seem to figure it out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, other times I have to thrust a million times for me to boost once.

I have to congrats Sega though, this is a much better game than I thought it would be. A few things are pretty annoying like you not being able to control the cam in the wii version (at all, but blame lack of more buttons on the wii :V), and that boost/homing attack thing I can't figure out.

Typo? :P At the bottom of a world map it has a grammatical error 'Visit <insert name here>. your next destination.' < WHERE'S THE CAPITAL.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Use the GC pad. Much better. Hitting A twice homing attacks, and x boosts/lightdash. Much better control option.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Actually, last I checked, Y does Light Dash.

It's about time they mapped that to something NOT the downward attack button.

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Yeah, I got them mixed up. X is also jump.

19. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Okay. Now, my review:

Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2) = SHIT
    Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) = ABSOLUTE WIN!

Seriously, when I played the 360 version for the first time after playing the Wii version I almost cryed of happiness! It was so joyful! I was so scared, I was thinking the 360 version would be like the Wii one. The Wii version sucked badly... And I was assuming the game sucked equally in just about every version! Oh good God Lord! Thank Godness I was wrong! The game is simple... I don't have words to decribe the game... awesome is not enough...

SEGA did really a good job this time. Now I'll trust them for now on! I know they can do something good if they want! The engine coding is pretty top notch! I checked some references of their development workbench and they organized a good bunch of code, and very well organized, from the hash table to everything else.

Well... Forget everything you saw in the Wii/PS2 version. (No, don't forget it) THe diferences from the Wii/PS2 version to the 360/PS3 is like the diferences of Sonic2MD to Sonic2GG (more or less, given the right degrees of diference, of course).

The game is fun.
    The game is one of the beautiest games of the Xbox 360 console.
    Werehog stages takes really too long (although they are not obrigatory at all)
    Every continent has 3 ACTs for both Sonic's and Werehog's stages.
    Some continents has a little (read: hidden) minigame.
    ...blah, blah, blah, random facts... blah, blah, blah...

P.S.: Also, hey! Can someone tell me where's the ACT2 for Rooftop Run? I can't find it anywhere! I found ACT3, but couldn't find ACT2! ACT2 is nowhere to be found!

P.S.S.: A possible typo? In the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, the boss of Mazuri is spelled EGG BEATLE, but in the 360 it's spelled EGG BEETLE. Which one is the correct one?

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    To get to rooftop run 2: go to where you got the wall jump, go in the opening in the wall (the door sized thing on the left as looking at the nook the wall jump was in). Flip the hourglass and flip the switch. That opens your way to the elevator, go down it. Once down, you can either do a bit of platforming to get some collectible stuff, or flip it back to day and run across the water.

This in my pick for Game of the Year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.