don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Coupld things from that video:

A: Wow, Sonic does sound different.
    B: We now know sonic can pull off the same platforming moves as the werehog (Swinging on bars, ledges, etc.) via the homing attack as opposed to stretchy arms. Which lends credibility to the Sun/Moon coins = Sonic/Werehog in any level as does;
    C: The fact that they actually address that, though all they say is 'levels that otherwise wouldn't be available.'.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think it's also a sort of Mario system where there are entirely different extra stages unlockable via collecting a certain number of coins.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Linear levels my ass. The platforming there is totally varied—you just have sections where speed is the focus. I don't really see a problem with that.

Also, still loving the multiple layers of 2D gameplay.

4. Rokkan

Rokkan

EGGMAN LAND FUCK YEAH
    I HAD LONG WAITED TO THIS VERY MOMENT
    THE DAY THAT EGGMAN WOULD ACTUALLY BUILD EGGMAN LAND
    BUT SONIC ALWAYS SCREWS HIM BEFORE HE CAN ACTUALLY DO THAT
    AND NOW IT'S TRUE
    !!!!!!!!!
    Jesus this game is SO bought <3

5. GIHunter

GIHunter

I noticed in the achievments list that it said "Eat all the hotdogs in Apotos, Mazuri, ect" several times. So yes, there are likely to be chilli dogs somewhere in there. Also, on the Tornado, I hope that they have good gameplay mechanics, similar, but not exactly like Sonic Adventue's (the way you aimed the gun sucked). On the Mazuri video, I caugh that too, thought it kinda funny.

6. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I move to make a separate topic to start talking about the pre-movie advertisements on Gametrailers. Who else got Trojan Condoms?

That said, I've gone from skeptical of how the masses are going to react to this game, to hopeful. I still latch on to the thought that, within the Sonic Fanbase, this game will sell like Hershey's at a fat-kid convention. But reaching out to other video gamers, this game will suffer the 'it's too cartoony' syndrome. Great game that hides underneath colors and fantastical elements, such as Viva Pinata. Now, given the chance, I'm putting money on the fact that the majority of people who would normally never think of playing it, did in fact download the demo or play it at a friends house, would seriously consider this game.

Anyway, Mazuri for the 360/PS3 looks awesome. I could pick out some areas that looked -fall and die-, but without actually playing it, I'm reserving judgment. I've already seen three places where, in previous 3D ventures, that would have been true, but instead the hedgehog landed on solid ground. They're doing things right.

7. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    GEEZE that level looked... fun. Wow... I'm impressed. I didn't really enjoy Sonic yelling all the time though. Aside from that, that level really looked like fun. I hope the PS2 version isn't too watered down or different.

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

That video really gives me hope.:) All the multiple paths and an actual bit of platforming...BEAUTIFUL.

9. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    Looks fun, and has some basic platforming, but the kind of platforming I wouldn't mind seeing (and was mentioned earlier in the topic I think) is physics-based platforming. The reason the classics were fast were as a result of physics. Spin downhill on a slope and launch off a ramp, build momentum in a tall half-pipe section, run down Chemical Plant's slope and launch up into an upper path, etc etc.

Now, I'm not saying "omg unleashed isn't classic", but just mentioning an aspect that made the classics fun, and *could* translate into a 2.5D environment. I'm not really seeing any of this in Unleashed, where speed is mostly a "forced" thing instead of physics-reliant. Regardless, I can see Unleashed being fun in different ways.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    WHO YA GONNA CALL? Apparently a hedgehog.

11. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Just watched the Mazuri video and I have to say that I am impressed. This can possibly because an instant classic!

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    lol?

It kind of reminds me of a nineties ad, but they could have done a lot better. Kind of reminds me of those chef boy RD commercials.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I really like that commercial actually. Crazy fun right there. Vaguely reminds me of like those Kid Chameleon ads.

14. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    That commercial is nineties style up the ass.

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
  16. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I noticed that too - he really meant to say the Sonic Adventure series - he was talking about the homing attack. =P

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Pretty sure he meant "Sonic Rush Series," considering the boost concept is hardly unique to Unleashed. :)

18. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    I think he meant the Sonic Adventure series, and simply misspoke. Probably shouldn't read too deep in to it.

Edit: Damn, Tweaker beat me to it, and was more right than me D:/

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Wow, that commercial brought back memories of older Sega commercials where kids would sit around a TV and get blown away by the intense gameplay. The only thing that was missing was the "SEGA!" sfx near the very end.

This game could not come soon enough. :)

20. [​IMG]

It's official, Sonic is now the new Tony Hawk. Also, lol at GameTrailer's "Missouri".

...I'm switching back and forth between whether or not getting the Wii version is a good thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.