don't click here

Sonic Triple Trouble Master System Conversion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    The Sega sound is just a 4-bit mono PCM sample. There's no reason it shouldn't play on an SMS; Alex Kidd The Lost Stars uses this on SMS hardware...

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I played other Master System games, and they seem to show SEGA MARK III if the console is Japanese (where the BIOS doesn't show anything) and nothing in the other regions (where the BIOS shows its own Sega screen).

A good example of this could be After Burner =P

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    TecToy's Sonic Blast does :v:

I'd say only remove it if it's getting in the way. I don't think things should be removed for the sake of it, even if Sega would have done something similar. Unless there's two versions made or something. Put more focus into getting rid of the glitches and whatnot.

4. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Can't believe it took this long for someone to tackle this project; A million thanks to Glitch for the work he's done, even if it's not 100% yet.

It's unfortunate that some of the game's artwork has to suffer due to the SMS hardware.. the comparison shot of Great Turquoise between the GG and SMS really shows the difference, too bad someone can't work some kind of raster magic to try and eke out a few more usable colors ;P

Anyway, can't wait to see this whenever you can finish it, Glitch :)

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Been so long since the last post I just assumed this project to be dead. Any news Glitch?

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I've been meaning to have a bit of a play with the palettes. I think a bit more definition in the graphics can be eked out by using slightly less accurate colours, but still retaining the overall gist, if you get what I mean, but I haven't had time. I think Glitch might have mentioned he was looking into this too, since he just used an automated palette converter rather than eyeballing it.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The projects still running then? Neat.

8. That would be great! The games that were officially released on the SMS went through this process, and I think it was for the best. I like Sonic Chaos much better on the SMS, for example.

With a direct palette conversion in TT lots of things were lost... the grass for example had 2 colors turned into the same color, so it looks pretty dull. A hand-optimized palette will do wonders for this project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.