don't click here

Sonic Triple Trouble Master System Conversion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Yeah, if you skim a certain corner. Or that's what atleast I would always do.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Just thought I'd do a comparison shot of the same area for demonstration purposes.

Game Gear:
    [​IMG]

Master System:
    [​IMG]

3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Tested this on SMS Plus for the Wii, but it doesn't work, when I load it as a SMS game it hangs at the Sega screen.
    [​IMG]

4. SwissCM

SwissCM

Not sure if anyone actually cares but I find it pretty fun to do:
    [​IMG]

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    One thing you'll probably need to do is change the level select code, seeing as Master Systems have "1" as their start buttons

Can I suggest something nicer than "Holding up until Knuckles collects the third emerald on the title screen then press start"? I've not yet been able to get it to work with the GameGear version, nevermind this port. Of course maybe I just suck... but still, it's not a nice method of getting the level select running.

Even if it's something predictable like the Konami code it would be an improvement =P

6. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Hah! That's awesome! Now I need to get an SMS flash cart.

Already done. I'll probably fix the spelling mistake too.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I have to disagree on this, especially with the first point. The limit was instituted more because Sonic only could grab 1-2 rings of those he lost rather than the 10-20 that he could grab back on the Genesis. Considering how the special stage mechanism works in this game, I would not change it.

Speed shoes is a little iffier though.

8. SwissCM

SwissCM

It works fine in Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos, so it should work fine with Triple Trouble. The limit seems to be imposed on a per-level basis anyway so I guess the special stages could be exempt. There's also a lot more rings throughout the stages in Triple Trouble, so if you lose all of them it's relatively easy to get 50 back so you still have a chance to go to the special stage. Another option is to have each dropped ring to count as 2 or something.

Also thought of another fix: The end of level ring counter only goes as high as 99, despite the game obviously being capable of more than that. So if you have 101 rings, you'll only get the score from 99. Be nice if that was fixed too.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think the ring behaviour is fine as it is. Once the major bugs and glitches are ironed out, I think Glitch should preserve the original game as much as possible. Or release two version, one faithful port for real men, and a gay one for whining kids.

10. SwissCM

SwissCM

The other Sonic ports weren't identical over platforms so I don't see why this should be. Bugs were fixed, gameplay flaws corrected and art changes done to accommodate the differences in the two consoles. The game is already "preserved" and if anything, the port would be more authentic if there were changes.

EDIT: Your version is the gay one for whining kids :colbert:

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    How about Glitch does whatever he wants, since this is his project, and we all are grateful to him, huh?

12. SwissCM

SwissCM

My posts were full of helpful suggestions, observations and a even a fun bit of artwork while yours are just full of dismissiveness. Every good developer or artist loves constructive input and I'm not going to stop offering suggestions and ideas just because you say I should. This is, after all, a discussion forum.

13. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    You seem to forget nineko loves Sonic Triple Trouble

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    This is why we can't have nice things.

It's up to Glitch as to how he does things. Personally, I think differences between SMS and GG versions from the other games should be preserved in this port. Yes, that is personal opinion, and it's up to Glitch in the end, I just think it would make it more authentic.

That said, as I haven't actually posted since the release of this, it's bloody brilliant. :P Finally, Triple Trouble for the Master System.. I can die happy now *hit*

15. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Sounds like we need a compromise. I could probably include an options screen that allows you to configure details like that. Failing that, I could do two builds: one for the purists and one with modifications.

16. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Or a single done how you want. Don't think about the whiners, you did the thing... and they should be thankful.

17. Wesker

Wesker

Any progress being done to this? Aside from the new additional features everyone is requesting, there's still a couple of things to fix in the actual game, like the messed up palette in the Atomic Destroyer levels and some other minor graphical glitches. Good effort has already been done on this one, that's for sure.

The level access code doesn't need to be changed at all, just remap the start function to the "1" button in the introductory screen in the same way it has already been done in the title screen. On a note related to that: Has anyone noticed you can't unpause the game in the Great Turquoise levels? You can in the rest of zones, though.

18. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I could unpause the game at Great Turquoise when I played it at SSRG. Haven't tried it on Kega or GENS yet, though.

19. Wesker

Wesker

True. I just tested it on Kega and it definitely unpauses. Seems to be an issue with some specific emulators, then (like FreezeSMS).

By the way, a person testing this on actual Master System hardware claims the game is freezing at Sega screen.

I can't try this on my console due to lacking a Master System flashcart. It would be good to know if this is a common issue to everyone trying to play it on the proper hardware.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but in Fusion the Master System BIOS must be disabled in order for it to run, as it does the same thing otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.