don't click here

Sonic Triple Trouble Master System Conversion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I don't know if this has been discussed before or if anyone else has attempted it but I've been looking into this project for some time now, but I am limited by my lack of coding skills.

http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/sega...ing/gg2sms.html

Ever since I read about this, I've thought that all the Game Gear exclusive sonic games should be converted to master system, but Triple Trouble interests me the most. I don't mind a bit of colour approximation if it means we can get the games in full screen. Even other game gear exclusives should get the conversion treatment, like Gunstar Heroes. After reading the info provided, I have the illusion of understanding, but I'm just too green to tackle it on my own.

This is what I've got so far:

The biggest hurdle I can see at the moment is modifying the palette fading routine. I've though about how this would be modified for the Master System format and I think it would go something like this:

Code (Text):
    1. eg) Fade to Black
    2. Start Loop
    3. If byte >= 15, subtract 15
    4. If byte >= 5, subtract 5
    5. If byte <5, subtract 1
    6. If byte = 0, stop loop
    Now if someone could take the Game Gear rom, locate the palette fading routines and modify them to work with byte per colour palettes instead of word per colour palettes, we would be well under way to porting the game to the Master System. Even if we can just disable the routine to start with, and just flash the palettes up as is, it would be a start. Once this is done, it would be relatively easy to modify the palettes to the Master System format, and we might have a partially working conversion. Anyone up to the challenge?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm sorry to ask, but what was the real difference between the Master System and the Game Gear? I always thought they were kinda similar, but at the same time I noticed some changes in games between the two.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    GG has way more colors, and smaller aspect ratio.

4. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    From memory

Game Gear: 0000BBBB GGGGRRRR
    Master System: 00BBGGRR

In binary, of course.

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Are palettes the only issue with porting a game? What happens if you load a GG ROM as if it's a Master System game?

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    It partially works, at least in an emulator. I changed the palettes of the intro to sms format, but the fading routine screws them up. There will be other problems too, but sorting out the palettes will be one of the more significant hurdles.

7. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Some hacking guru should try to port Triple Trouble to the PC-Engine, that one has enough colours.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think you can get some support here.

Cross-forum project anyone? :)

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd rather see Triple Trouble remade from Sonic 2 or something

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I'd rather see it on a Genesis. I don't see the point in porting it to master system. It isn't like it's going to be mass-distributed on cartridges anytime soon, if at all. It'd only be a novelty knowing it's an MS rom or something. Really, what's the point?

11. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Well look at the Sonic 2 SMS and GG versions, on the GG, everything is huge, I'd like to be able to see more on screen. I'd like to see it ported to the SMS, even though I'd like it ported to the genesis too =P

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If you don't see the point, why bother posting in a topic about porting it? Nobody cares that you don't care for it.

That being said, I'd love to see something like this. I always wanted Triple Trouble back when the Master System was still getting new games, and I didn't have a Game Gear.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The point, more than anything else, is the increased screen size. Triple Trouble is a bitch for me to play with such a small screen—a bigger one may actually make me want to play it more.

Remember that the Genesis and the Master System have roughly the same resolution. This would make things much easier to play.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Conceivably, once it's ported to master system, you could have a Phantasy Star I type conversion from Master System to Mega Drive if you really wanted, but I don't see the point in that. You should have a power base converter if you want to use it on real hardware, and if you're emulating you have no problems. It's all about being able to play the games at a proper aspect ratio on the tv.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I didn't know about the Gamegear size issue. It was just a simple and I think valid question. I wasn't looking for people to care what I think, I was merely asking. If the only response anyone can get from the "higher ups" at this message board is "if you don't like it fug off" I can see why people come to this board kissing ass when they make their first post. No wonder I was always scared of this place...

Thanks for the response :)

...forum drama :D

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    There's no drama, Marc is just a britfag and biased towards the 8-bit games. Ignore him. =P

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Heh. Well anyway, I wish you luck on getting this accomplished if it all possible doc eggfan. On the topic, I may be wrong, but didn't tectoy try porting this game to SMS once? I thought I remember hearing about that on this board once, but it could be my bad memory..

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That was Sonic Blast/G Sonic.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Damn right. :U The 8-bit games are pwnage.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    As a Britfag, I can assure you that the preference for the 8 bit titles is FAR from universal >=P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.