don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Released ~ 1.1.2 Released ... unofficial Xbox, PS4 Releases... Now on Switch!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overbound, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I can assure you none of it's mixed poorly on purpose. I'm shit at mixing though. It's what I'm going to work on improving next.

2. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Happy to read about more experiences with the game. It builds my motivation up to keep making games.

As promised the source code is now available on GitHub. Anyone wanting to compile a MAC or Linux version should be able to do so with Game Maker Studio 1 Pro. The source is also free to modify or use in your own games.

3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Damn that's pretty good. I also see you licensed it under GPL which is pretty cool.

4. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    This is fantastic! I'm also having a great time playing the game, very well designed.

5. REPO Man

REPO Man

I mentioned this being open source on RetroPie's forum, asking if a port was possible, and they said that the export module needed to port Sonic Time Twisted to Raspberry Pi isn't available to the public. I asked if a port would be possible if the module was made available, but that was only an hour ago at the most.

6. Is there a debug related mode in this game?

I'm enamored at how the zone transitions are completely seamless, unlike Sonic 3 and Knux, which fades out the previous zone into the new one. I normally like using debug mode to mess with the transitions and was wondering if STT had a similar option

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

To my knowledge, no, there's not. You could always download the source and crack it open yourself, though.

8. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Source code on GitHub? Hot times! Too bad it's locked to a game dev IDE I don't use, but still...

EDIT: "DONOTDELETETRYINGTOFIXISSUE.sound.gmx"
    Overbound, what on earth happened?

9. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Hinchy is right there is no debug mode. There is a level select though. I think its left left right right up down a start. Its kinda funny to see knuckles in Super Sonic's level.

Techokami lol that is a leftover fragment from one of the many times game maker corrupted itself when saving and I had to spend time sorting it out. It should be removed from the source code along with many other things I am sure.

It looks like a few people have been downloading or cloning the source and I have had a few people contact me in regards to using it too. If anyone makes bug fixes or improvements in the process of using the engine I will gladly accept decent pull requests.

10. Any reason why the music in the source is .wav? Those alone make it almost a gigabyte in space. .ogg would've been a better choice since they're smaller.

11. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Hinchy wanted the sources to be lossless and GM converts them to OGG anyway so they were added as wavs. I agree that is kind of inconvenient now that the project is open source may need to replace them with high quality OGGs or something. I'll make an issue for it on GitHub.

Speaking of which if you want to report any bugs in Time Twisted Github's issue section is a great place to do so. Right now its mostly just Alex's android compatibility issues but any kinds of bugs are welcome to be posted.

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

Game Maker re-encodes all audio every time you build the game so you'd be converting OGG to OGG. I hope I don't have to explain why that's bad.
    Tthe WAVs are also a permanent part of the repo history, so I'm not sure if you'd actually be doing anything by converting them either.
    It's a bummer that GM doesn't support FLAC or any other reasonable lossless audio codec, so you're forced to either use space-hogging WAVs or use lossy source files.

13. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Since releasing the source code a few people have been working on modifications and ports for the game.

Alex Khayrullin has been porting the game to Android and has done a really nice job improving the menu system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SonicFan 254 is also working on adding shadow to the game. I am helping him with it and may add it to new releases of the game as an extra character when it is complete.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunVDtmJFDM

A few people have also told me they are attempting to add Metro Maddness back to the game. Which is a canned level based on some graphics Phoebius made for Project Sonic Retro way back when. I've given them the tilesheets, gimmick ideas, and rough level layouts. We'll see how far they get! : )

I am really excited to see people working the game. I hope people are using the source to make fan games or maybe just as a reference to help. VectorSatyr, Mercury and myself put a lot of hours of code into this game's code so it will be great to see it put to further use.

14. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Apologies for responding to an incredibly old post, but try updating your video drivers. I had something like this (although with an earlier version of Game Maker), and simply updating my drivers helped. Apart from this, updating DirectX might help, and you can find redistributables on Microsoft's site that will ignore the check and simply reinstall DirectX, but that might not do anything to help in this scenario.

Another suggestion I've heard is to update your sound drivers - sometimes Game Maker will crash if your audio drivers are out-of-date/bugged in some way/what-have-you.

15. SonicContinuum

SonicContinuum

This looks incredible, what engine does it used?

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Any place in particular to follow progress on this? It's pretty exciting to me.

17. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Well Alex has been posting about it on twitter @AlexKhayrullin and he also has a branch on GitHub. I'll post in this topic from time to time too.

SonicContinuum I built the game on top of an earlier version of VectorSatyr Game Maker Studio engine.

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Wait wait wait wait wait. You used VectorSatyr's engine? I thought you were using Mercury's engine! You know, the one made by the guy responsible for the Sonic Physics Guide. Did he up and die or something? [​IMG]

19. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Mercury made some really impressive stuff for GM but his engine was never quite in a place where we could build the game on top of it. VectorSatyr had started coding a different engine somewhat based on Mercury's work and Dash. I took that engine finished things up and programmed Time Twisted on top of it. Later on Mercury, VectorSatyr, and to a less extent Wil and DW helped with some specific bosses, badniks, and gimmicks. Which is why you will see a few different coding styles in some of the code.

20. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Didn't you originally used Damizean's and McdlzzY's 360° engine?