don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Released ~ 1.1.2 Released ... unofficial Xbox, PS4 Releases... Now on Switch!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overbound, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
  2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults

Dear sweet lord I wish the special stages had an option to automatically run because smushing the d-pad forward in addition to steering hurts my poor little haaaaaands
    + - This is really excellent though, kudos  

3. The special stages have a Genesis quality.

In that they're frustrating as all hell, but it doesn't feel "cheap".

Thanks for the option to spend 1-ups for retries, because it's easy to fall off the track. I try to enter the stages with a ton of lives.

Beaten the game, but on the bad ending...trying to find some of the harder emeralds. Can I just replay the first few zones and get them that way?

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member

:v:

5. Got an error right when the final screen displays:

of Draw Event
    for object objTextEnding:

Fatal Error: Can not create vertex buffer of size 98304 bytes
    7065 vertex buffers allocated with total size of 740784 KB
    at gml_Object_objTextEnding_Draw_0
    ############################################################################################

The game saved up to the last act without all the emeralds. Should it have been a game complete screen after that? Or does it just revert to that act afterwords in the file select?

6. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I am sorry about that, I suppose you could have. I will definitely be watching. And yeah I fixed the C = 50 rings thing I had just done that for test.

@RGamer2009 the issue you are having I believe has something to do with the texture buffer shrinking when the game is restarted. But there is no final screen on the save, so rest assured you have beaten the game.

I am fixing a few bugs that have been found since the game launched and will probably update the download with a slightly updated version soon.

7. I'm really enjoying it. You and your team have done a excellent job. Well worth the long wait. Love how the Badniks change depending on the time period
    The music is amazing as well. Really giving me Jazz Jackrabbit vibes thanks to the samples used.

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Just played through the game as Tails and I'll play it as Sonic next. I'll give my full thoughts once I complete it with all three characters, but I'm very impressed with the level design and programming. It's easily the most fluid feeling Sonic fangame I've ever played. You did a fantastic job with the game's engine. The art direction is solid as well, though it has some style inconsistencies.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I don't believe it ! Retro hasn't posted this Gem on the front page yet!

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've played through the first 4 or so zones. Gotta say I love it, definitely one of the top Sonic fan games I've ever played, and unlike the other ones this one runs incredibly smoothly. No frame skips or other strange hickups. It also feels pretty much perfect. I picked it up and got the feel of the game down almost immediately, as it truly felt like I was playing Sonic 3 (and playing with a Saturn controller made it all the better). My only nitpicks are a few bugs I've seen so far (a strange game crash on the file select screen and a special stage ring putting me back at some random point in the level rather than where the ring was) and that those special stage rings are pretty hard to find.

Overall though great work. I'll be coming back to this many times I'm sure.

11. Vixel

Vixel

So I've played through the entire game with Sonic and made sure to get all of the Chaos Emeralds and Time Stones on my first run, finished it earlier this morning. As someone who's been following this project since around 2011/2012 (I honestly can't remember but it's been quite a few years now) it was worth the wait overall.

In terms of positives, I really liked the level design and their tropes, as well as the fact that the controls and physics felt pretty much spot on, so it felt great playing it. Not counting the games using Taxman's Retro Engine this by far feels like the most accurate 2D Sonic fan game so far, at the very least comparing to the few finished ones. I also really liked the new shields and how they were balanced; the fact that the rock one can be used as a projectile is extremely useful and that after using up both rocks you have to wait a bit until being able to chuck them again keeps it from being too overpowered. The wind shield was really useful and losing flight after hitting a wall or ceiling, again keeps it from being too overpowered, also I appreciate the nod to Nights. The fire shield leaving flame trails when you run fast is a really neat graphical detail, and the fact that the bubble shield's bounce is affected by slopes just like it is in Mania is also something I love from a gameplay standpoint. The Special Stages and how you get to them is also something I really liked. The concept is pretty creative and I found them pretty fun to go through, and as someone who played this on a keyboard I think they controlled fine, though it might be a good idea to add an auto run option for those who use controllers, since I've heard multiple times from them that the Special Stages control awkwardly. And one more thing I want to gush over is your implementation for Super Sonic, I absolutely adore that you need to use two jump buttons to transform and can also transform back to normal at any time with the same method. I also love the fact that you can use shield abilities while in super form and also the fact that Super Sonic does not replace the level music, just overall great stuff there, man.

In terms of negatives, I didn't really see a point in using the ice shield, since in order to freeze enemies you have to get really close to them and at that point you might as well just destroy them then and there, since enemies still do collision damage when frozen. I dunno, maybe it's meant to be used against the multi-hit enemies? Never got the chance to try it out on them so I have no idea if it's more useful on them. This leads to my next complaint, the multi-hit enemies. I don't really see much of a point to them besides ruining the pace of the level, they just feel unnecessary, since they're not difficult to take out at all. The time travel aspect is kind of a half compliment and half complaint, I like how easy and quick it is to time travel compared to Sonic CD, but on the other hand I don't really like that a lot of the past/future signposts are placed in the middle of fast sections. The reason why that's a problem is unless you're already aware where they are you have go through the level really slowly if you don't want to time travel, which at some points was my case, since I was hunting for Time Stones and Chaos Emeralds, which are tied to the past and future respectively. I liked the fact that you can cancel time travel if you jump before finishing turning around the signpost and using the same one in case you change your mind, but considering how fast some of these sections get it can be really hard to react on time unless you already know they're there. Also having a few more past and future sign posts scattered through out the levels might have made it a bit more bearable if you do accidentally time travel, because it felt like there was too few of them. Also in terms of the true ending, + - what the hell was that? Fan game or not that was completely out of place for a Sonic game.  

I also had some technical issues, the first one happened in Raging Ruins Act 2 Future after finishing the Special Stage that's close to the end of the level, the same one that the GameXplain guy showed off in his video. So after I returned to the level the controls went completely crazy, the game was playing itself and some actions like jumping and pausing were sporadically disabled, after a few seconds of mashing the pause button I could pause again so I reset the game and loaded up my save file and the issue was still there, but after closing the game completely and reopening it was normal again. This never happened again for the remainder of the game and I have no idea how it happened or how to replicate it, luckily the game auto saves emeralds and lives obtained without requiring to beat an act so no progress was lost, but that was still really strange. Also for some reason Frigid Fortress Past runs really slowly on my computer and I don't know why, considering the rest of the game and even the last two demo versions of that level from SAGE 2014 ran just fine. I also got completely stuck on a floor and a ceiling in Raging Ruins Past and had the restart the game to continue.

Overall though, this was still a really great game, probably my favourite 2D Sonic fan game so far, which I can easily see myself going back to in the future for more playthroughs, after the obligatory Tails and Knuckles runs that I will do later this week of course. Great job.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    They're waiting for a full-game playthrough video to appear. Here's one!

http://youtu.be/42r0o6_Xs1M

Link to YouTube

Took me a while to prepare this video, but it was worth it. Spoilers obviously, but I completed the game, and then I go for all the emeralds, and unlock a certain gold character and an extra ending?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea going to have to go along with V-Pixel there, kinda odd ending you got there. Either way great game though.

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Glowing reviews all-round I see - amazing. :) Overbound I must apologise, I've been meaning to play your game for the last few days now but I've been exceptionally busy and I'm still waiting on purchasing a decent controller. I'm probably going to head out tomorrow and get a hold of a decent control pad meaning I'll probably be firing up your game sometime tomorrow night or potentially the day after. You can expect some lengthy impressions from me once I've completed a playthrough.

Seems as though you've produced something absolutely fantastic however and potentially one of the best Sonic fangames ever so I'm really happy for you.

Excellent work man. Impressions are forthcoming.

15. WhoWhatWhenWhale

WhoWhatWhenWhale

I played through the entirety of the game as Sonic and I've gotta say, it's pretty dang amazing! I had a few concerns while playing though, so I might as well quickly list them off here.

The Super-Sonic final boss's laser attack is way too cheap. It's pretty much luck on whether you dodge it or not.
    In Viridian Valley Act 2 Past, in the lower route near the end there is a background wall that is bugged to be in the foreground.
    In Viridian Valley Act 1 Past, near the beginning there's a spring on one of the humps, it is placed halfway inside the ground.
    The player clips through the edges of special stage platforms, which can lead to some unfair losses.

16. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Thank you all for your kind comments. I am thrilled with the reception of the game. The final boss is meant to shock and surprise which is why I did it the way I did and I didn't want to leave anything to guessing as far as what happens to everyone.

I've had a lot of fun watching RedhotSonic's video and a bunch of other youtubers too. I am fixing the bugs that are being found as best I can and will update the release soon.

Also I gave an experimental Mac build that Hinchy built out to a few people and it seems to be working... So a Mac build is possible and playable! I will probably wait to release it until I fix more of these bugs though before I make an official release.

Last everyone please extend your praises out to Mercury, VectorSatyr, Shane Sparks, DerZocker, DimensionWarped, Polar Exelion, Hinchy, and everyone else who helped with the game. The game would not be what it is without these guys!

17. I am loving the game so far, but for some reason the Gamepad mapper in-game won't see my Sega Saturn USB Pad!

It can see my 360 pad just fine...maybe there is a way to add Direct Input mapping?

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    If you knew what I went through to get the gamepad support as good as it is you would not ask this of me. Hehe

Seriously though, Game Maker Studio says it works with direct input pads but I have never been able to get it working with my Saturn pad either. Did you try the alternativegamepadsupport.exe? Its basically just a little joy to key app that Mercury was kind enough to put together as a backup system. I am not exactly sure what all controllers it will work with though.

19. I could not get the alternate gamepad application to work. It would just stop working after starting the program. Not sure why though, could be Windows 10?

I just tried out JoytoKey with the game and the Saturn Pad now works just fine. Playing this game with a Sega pad is pure bliss!

20. Can I make one recommendation for a future update. The boss for Frigid Fortress Zone is not very clear at first. The hands are blocky enough that my first several deaths were due to thinking they were platforms. The first death was trying to jump on top and hitting a side. I figured "Okay, it's not unreasonable for the sides of the platform to damage me. Let's try again.", and died again due to the tops of them dealing damage as well. The third and fourth were due to when the boss speeds up on the left/right movement, but that was the only sign that I was expected to wait.

Could you maybe draw a few spikes on the hands? You could even just say they're something like spiked gauntlets. It's just that just about every single "giant" battle in the classic games involved interacting with the hands first. This one breaks the pattern, so you need to display that a bit more to the player.

Other than that, I want to ask. Do we get a level select on our file upon finishing the game the first time, and can we use it for hunting Time Stones/Chaos Emeralds? Also, if that's what happens, can we potentially farm an easily-found Special Stage Ring, or do they disappear permanently upon use regardless of when they're accessed? I'll be completely honest, I save-scummed when I got all the Emeralds in S3+K. I would have run out of Special Rings otherwise.