don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Released ~ 1.1.2 Released ... unofficial Xbox, PS4 Releases... Now on Switch!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overbound, Apr 12, 2017.

1. I don't think it can be done, sorry, we're at the mercy of GameMaker Studio 1 here.

2. REPO Man

REPO Man

So, does that just mean no PSC port, or does it also mean that it can't be made into a RetroArch core?

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I'm finally taking the time to play this fan game, particularly in part because of the convenience of its Android port, and it's quite a surreal experience so far. Just starting off, it feels like a fine marriage between Sonic CD's most compelling gimmicks with stage design that we're more familiar with from the other classics.

Playing this now makes me feel bad for holding out on trying it for this long. Hasn't it been almost 15 years since the project started? I still remember when Overbound himself was giving me tips on Sonic level design, on my ye ol' crusty fan game from the YoYo Sandbox. (Does anybody still remember that? Good Lord I feel old.) He's been at this for a long time!

It's still surreal to me that this game made it to the finish line, if not more-so that other fans have taken up the torch to keep supporting and updating it, while Overbound moves on to an original project. There's really something special about the fan game scene in the Sonic community, I think, and this project is a positive reflection of that.

It's a Game Maker fan game, not something made in a portable language, like C or C++, unfortunately. Porting the game over to any platforms that Game Maker Studio itself doesn't support would take months of difficult work- possibly in assembly language, or remaking the game from scratch in a C-like language. Either avenue is exhaustive and not worth the time or effort.

Personally, I'm grateful we even have an Android port of this game, which runs swimmingly on my phone! It's so refreshing to have real video games on my phone, like this fan game and SRB2; Sonic Time Twisted feels right at home with the Taxman remasters of the classic games on Android, it really does.

4. REPO Man

REPO Man

IIRC, the PSC uses some form of Linux. So if Game Maker projects can be ported to Linux, which I believe was possible to a degree on the Linux-based Retropie, can it be done?

5. The PSC runs a Linux on an ARM processor. Unless I'm mistaken, GameMaker Studio 1 can export Android apps for ARM (among other things) , but Linux apps are only exported for x86 architectures. From what I see online, GMS 2 got a Linux ARM export module a year ago, but it would require porting Time Twisted to Game Maker Studio 2.

And then, even if we get it to run on the PSC, the next question is: how well will it run?
    For context, the Android build is compiled with YYC (native code generated by GameMaker Studio 1) , so at highest performance possible. On the NVidia Shield 2017 it sometimes chugs when I have backgrounds apps running, and I had to slightly alter a path in Special Stage 7 Future to reduce the amount of drawn objects at one point. I don't know how the specs compare, but unless the PSC is as powerful as the NVidia Shield 2017, the performance will be subpar.

6. REPO Man

REPO Man

Looking back I only got the PSC for my nieces and nephews because while a cheap Android box would have been half the price, I'd still end up shelling out for controllers. And since I would not DARE cheap out (I got burned by two cheap Bluetooth controllers before shelling out for an 8bitdo one), that'd tack on around $50 per kid (so $300 altogether). Meanwhile a pair of PSC units and the stuff to mod them would have been cheaper.

Plus kids these days all have phones and tablets, anyway.

7. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

I beat it once, but I obtained the bad ending. Looking for the Special Zones are tough.

8. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  9. Pink-bot

Pink-bot

Mac user here, so glad I finally get to play this again!

but i did find this
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.16.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.16.53 PM.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  10. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I'll add it to our github issues.

People have been playing Time Twisted through a QA version on their Xboxes I gather. Its an unofficial build and is unsupported and a bit buggy I gather. But below is a guide on how to get it on Xbox. I figured I would just let those know who cared.

Gameplay:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Pink-bot

Pink-bot

Attraction attack is my favorite first stage in and official sonic game or fangame because of how much different stuff you were qble to fit into the level.

12. With both Android and a supposed PS Vita version working, would it be possible to port this to a PSP EBOOT? I have a PSP 1000 I could see myself playing this on.

13. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
  14. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    There was a better video released describing how to get it on xbox:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    In addition to the Xbox port Time Twisted now has a PS4 port for Jailbroken PS4s. This is an unofficial release and I cannot support it. But its there for those of you who want. :)

Time Twisted is now on PC, Android, Mac, Linux, Nvidia Shield, PS4, Xbox and I've heard of people getting it running on PS Vita and Switch too but those remain unreleased. Thanks to all who worked on these ports.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. PS4 version looks pretty awesome. I've got mine jailbroken, and have been looking for something to put on it. I'll have to get around to installing it when I'm not busy.

17. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    There are instructions here on how to get it working with PlayStation Vita: https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/836

I hear its kinda slow so your mileage may vary. Hopefully a working homebrew Switch version will be made available soon too.

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa