don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Development

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Overbound, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Over at SFGHQ I always show off my work in progress graphics I'm working on and get feed back which helps me make it better. Making foreground and background tiles is a very slow process for me because I'm not very good at it yet and feedback really helps me make it that much better. Anyway Time Twisted has two time zones future and past here's work in progress of the water level graphics. Comments? Thoughts?

[Past]
    [​IMG]

[Future]
    Just the WIP foreground tiles
    [​IMG]

and then an attempt with hill top colors:
    [​IMG]

2. The only thing I have issue with is the space background which would look really strange in a water level. Other than that, I like what I see

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Whenever I see space I immediately relate it to an Amiga game. This looks like something that'd be on the Amiga :)

4. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I definatly hear what you guys are saying I'm not making any final decisions on that background until I see it in game though.

I'm most interested in the future foreground though as that is what I'm working on now. Which looks better if you were creating it what kinds of changes would you make? Any color suggestions?

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    Space :(
    (no I'm not promoting my own shit)

6. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I don't follow?

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I used a space background in a water level...

8. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Got it. Mine is a little more spacey though with the galaxy and big stars yours looks more like a sky. Perhaps I should make mine look more like a sky.

9. Tidbit

Tidbit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a Gamemaker project? Because I remember seeing this game along time ago on a GM site. But I'm unsure.

10. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    It is yeah this is no hack is eh that a problem? If you haven't tried it yet you can download it here. Its not a hack but its a good approximation of a Sonic game I think.

11. Tidbit

Tidbit

Im fine with it being on GM. I've been working with gm for a couple years :P. And started my own engine from scratch but mehs, it didn't work too well.

EDIT

I don't know if you've noticed, but the mountain BG doesn't tile correctly. I also think the Sonic sprites should be worked on. The don't really seems even. His head and eyes are waaay to huge. The bottom line of Sonics middle sprite should go that far in on his head either. And the main bif I have with these sprites is the shading. Never use Pillow shading that liberally. If you want I could post some examples of what I mean.

12. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Actually I love that sprite I love the big eyes too. but your not the only one who's complained about it I think its a love hate thing. The mountains tile as intended I've not heard anyone else have that complaint so I'll probably leave it as is.

[​IMG]

Here's a mock up of the future I think its coming along nicely.

13. Tidbit

Tidbit

You may want to add some clear sections in that tube, or have a solid outline, and then just apply the image alpha to the inner tube. But besides that it looks nice.

14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That looks nice! I've been thinking about this game lately, and then just stumbled on this topic today. I'm knee-deep in stuff right now, but I'll shoot you a PM to see about the status of your game and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.