don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog: Tribute

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by TheBarAdmin, Sep 20, 2012.

1. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

This is a Sonic 2 modification with new graphics, layouts and music. I'm gonna post it because I think it's decent enough as is:

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD (2012 public release)

(THE LINK IS FIXED NOW)

Credits:
    • MarkeyJester, Spanner - miscellaneous changes on the game code
    • Tweaker, Roxahris - music contributions
    • Everyone who made specific ROM hacking tools - Naming everyone would be a tad difficult. Either way, several hacking utilities saved a LOT of time, and without them, I wouldn't be making a hack of this complexity.
    If I'm missing anyone else, please tell me.

Current state: Cancelled

I decided to update this post, as some people were looking forward for seeing more of this hack. Unfortunately, Sonic Tribute is permanently cancelled, making the 2012 version the "final" version of this hack. I decided that there's far better things I can (and must) spend my time on. This project requires that I put way too much effort into it, with little results...

Again, there's not much following for this hack, but some people were interested and I felt like it was a responsible action to inform them and not let them waiting with irrealistic expectations.

Public Release V1 Sound Reference

2. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I'd love to try it out but the link seems to lead to a dead end? Is that just me?

Hm, guess I have to make an account just to download and play this? I'll pass, sorry.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Played the SAGE 12 version, and I absolutely loved every minute of it! The artwork is fantastic so far, and the music is very cool all around. Price is Right options menu? + - Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for Super Sonic   ? Pure Awesomeness! I even kinda enjoyed myself in the unfinished levels as well. Can't wait for the final product, I'll definitely be watching this one.

4. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    The link doesn't work, so here: http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=81

I downloaded this a month ago from SSRG, and I couldn't believe how perfect Seaside Palace and Urban Rush were. I was really disappointed when I saw the Sega screen right after the second level, though.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    You've done a great job on this hack, like I said over at SSRG during the contest as soon as I saw the title screen art I just had to download it. Your artwork is simply amazing, and the levels looked beautiful. :3 The music is just freaking awesome, and it was cool to hear my favorite song from Dangerous Seed ported over as well. :) If you haven't played this hack yet, DO IT! I recommend it, you won't be disappointed. I hope someday you'll finish this beautiful piece of work, but even in this state it's wonderful. <3

6. BetaTwizzler

BetaTwizzler

Your hack has without a doubt the best soundtrack of any Sonic hack IMO. Not only do you have well-crafted music from other series', but you also have some of my favorite songs/jingles from various Sonic games in there. Also, like TheInvisibleSun said, the MMPR theme for Super Sonic is an amazing choice. I think the level art is beautiful, the level layouts are awesome, and both are Sonic-esque. Whenever you find time to continue working on this, please do.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I hope you finish this... This is EXACTLY what I imagined a 2D Sonic Generations-esque game on the Genesis IS...
    Not should be... IS.

I hope that a final will see levels from the entire series.

8. This looks great and plays really well! The music is nice, though the themes from other things is a little awkward. Either way, love this.

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I absolutely loved this hack during the contest! The music, the layouts, the backgrounds, all of it! I would like to see this finished but even as is it's an amazingly fun slice of awesomeness.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Also the game works wonders on actual hardware as well. ;) TheBarAdmin, could you post each song you've used in the hack? Some songs sound familiar, and I'm just curious is all. :)

11. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

Sure :) I was suposed to do it in the first post, at the time of release, but it seems that I completely forgot about it.

Sound Test ID Reference

Sound Test 01 Hey You! It's Time to Speed Up!
    Sound Test 02 Windmill Isle Day
    Sound Test 03 Windy Valley 1
    Sound Test 04 Beat It
    Sound Test 05 Route 99 Act 1
    Sound Test 06 Going On An Adventure
    Sound Test 07 Lonely Journey
    Sound Test 08 A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup
    Sound Test 09 Shade Man
    Sound Test 0A Windy and Ripply
    Sound Test 0B Billie Jean
    Sound Test 0C Got Item (Pokemon)
    Sound Test 0D Rainbow Ride
    Sound Test 0E Sky Rail
    Sound Test 0F Combat
    Sound Test 10 Tails VS Eggman 2
    Sound Test 11 The Price is Right
    Sound Test 12 Amazing Arena 2
    Sound Test 13 vs GUN mobile
    Sound Test 14 Sonic 2 Final Boss
    Sound Test 15 MMPR: The movie Credits (Genesis)
    Sound Test 16 Go go power rangers
    Sound Test 17 Sonic Drive
    Sound Test 18 1up
    Sound Test 19 Sonic Drive
    Sound Test 1A Victory Fanfare
    Sound Test 1B Bulk & Skull
    Sound Test 1C Bad Ending
    Sound Test 1D Something from Colums III

Sound Test 81 Countdown
    Sound Test 82 Sonic Drive
    Sound Test 83 South Island
    Sound Test 84 South Island
    Sound Test 85 Bulk & Skull
    Sound Test 86 I Will Win (MMPR: The movie)
    Sound Test 87 541
    Sound Test 88 We Need a Hero
    Sound Test 90 Go Greeen Ranger

Repeated songs will be fixed...
    Songs that aren't spot on (which is most of them) will be removed and replaced by better tunes in later releases.

12. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

Just wanted to let people know; Sonic Tribute is cancelled. Please see the first post.

13. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    This is one of the very few hacks out there that looks, sounds, and plays very well, the bonus behind it is how well it's polished and put together, it's a rather unique and different hack to the rest, and that is why I'm disappointed to see it dropped.

I respect your reasoning for it though, and I will surely keep a close eye on future projects you might throw at us, good luck!

14. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    That's a damn shame. Well, good luck to you then.

Just know that this is one of the best hacks I've ever put my hands on.

Everything you put into this was not a waste of your time. :thumbsup:

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    It's a shame that the hack is canceled, but it's still a beautiful hack and just by playing those few levels I can tell lots of time and talent were brought to life through it. It was fun to play through the game, thank you for presenting a wonderful hack. I wish you the best of luck with your other projects, whatever they may be. :)

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Such a shame indeed but you have your reasons. It shaped up into an awesome hack still.