don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Lost Land 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Shadow Fire, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Heh... I may as well post about my hack here.

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Lost Land 2 was originally a bland, disgusting hack I started back in June 2004. It has since developed into something easy on the eyes, and playable. A lot of stuff is yet to be edited for the next release, but for now, STHTLL2 v1.0.5 is available for download.

Basic Hack Information

Zone Information (with Screenshots)

Download v1.0.5

NOTE: Do not accuse me of taking snippets from other hacks and placing them in mine, as you will have a hard time backing up your claims. Most of the work was my own, in which I asked permission from various sources, including Dr. Eggfan, who kindly let me use his sprites, and a few bits of tile art. But I actually drew them up from memory. I never open anyone's hack and get information that way... takes the fun out of it. So anyway... just posted this note to be secure, and to make sure no-one looks like a complete wanker when they try to accuse me.

2. How did you remove special stage with ese ? :shocked: I might post my hack too!! :D

3. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Well, actually, I basically only just edited the level select, so the Special Stage was inaccessible. I also changed the Special Stage Entry requirements. I had an idea, but I'll need DRX's help.

I'm thinking similarly to what JohnnyUK did with his hack, I.e. setting the special stage entry to take you to another zone, which I would like to have set for Hidden Palace Zone, cuz by the time I'm finished with it, it's gonna be a completely new looking level.

I'll hafta check my hacking records to remember how to change the requirements set to enter the special stage, so then everyone can do it themselves.

4. Miles3298

Miles3298

Mind if I give out the Super Sonic cheat? Or should I let people hack it out themselves?

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    your hack is good SF, but still, not too keen on OOZ but youve given me the explaination already :P

6. Kles

Kles

...level select please? I don't like playing in Wood Zone hacks, they tend to have too many fall through floors.

7. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    The hack is pretty good, and rather challenging :D

But Kles is right, Wood Zone is a damned pain with all the glitches it has.

8. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    The secret (not anymore) page containing the cheats for my hack can be found here!

I'm gonna end up having the collision looked into, and fix up any and all bugs in the level.

9. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    Debug code doesn't work

10. Kles

Kles

Very, very good hack. Charcoal Hills is great.

11. Miles3298

Miles3298

On the site: 0B, 07, 03, 14, 0A, 08, 10, 12.

Hex editor: 0B, 07, 03, 14, 0A, 08, 10, 12.

The debug pointer points to that...and I tried the debug code. Doesn't work. Weird. Try a normal Sonic 2 savestate with everything enabled. =|

Oh, and pretty good hack, SF. I like the Sunken Subway.

12. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Hmmm... I'll hafta have a look at that... I'm sure I changed the right offset... unless I need to search again. Esrael's patch moved the data around, but I should be able to locate the right pointer.

Thanks for pointing that out... and as for Sunken Subway, although I haven't changed much of the layout, it has had just enough changed to make it an even more deadly zone. I'm glad you like it. ^^

13. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Okay, admin(s)... please forgive my double post...

A message to all who have my hack, if you wish to access debug mode properly, I've just figured that the actual offset hadn't been tweaked... the new offset is at...

$48862

The level select code is the original "01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04"

This has been changed in the version on my computer, which will soon be undergoing more changes.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and once again, for the double post.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I also had a problem with debug. the level select affects it (I think) and when I tried the normal code it worked, so yea

15. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Okay, I've created a new HUD for the hack, and changed a few things.

I also have a bit of info for people who have changed their HUD and noticed a few little errors at the end.

If you have changed your HUD, and noticed the "Bonus" and "Total" are different, and the S in BONUS is matched with that of the S in SCORE, then all you need to do is decompress the art found at hex location 07E86A, edit the art, recompress the art, and paste it back into the ROM.

Thanks to StephenUK for helping me with this. I thought it may be valuable to some members.

The image of my new HUD design is provided.

Attached Files:

16. What I most like in this hack is Sonic itself. The shoes kick ass and the running animation fits much better than the original one IMO. Cheers for Dr. Eggfan. You've done an excelent work so far! Keep it that way. There's only one thing I don't like very much: the new pallette for the renamed Oil Ocean (I don't remember the name). It's very dark and hard to see, but I believe it has to do with the game concept, what makes it a worth chalenge.

And oh, that huge loop (I believe it's on the ARZ styled level) made me lose my breath for a moment.

17. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Thanks a lot for your interest! I agree... the cel-shaded sprites are excellent... and to think I actually constructed them from memory... I didn't import the sprites at all... I drew them from scratch. It took me about 1-2 days, but it was pretty good...

The OOZ palette (Dark Harbour Zone), was one of my most interesting palette schemes. And you are right... it is the concept of that zone... and most of the game.

The huge loop, eh? Heh... cheers for the amount of underwater allotted time...

*smirks*

If I can create a bonus ROM, I may even lower the amount of time underwater... to 20 seconds... I'm such an evil bastard! XD

EDIT: Oh, I have a new title screen that I would like to show... I'm not sure if it looks okay... I'm kinda muddled in the head at the moment... XD

The screenshot is attached...

Attached Files:

18. I like the title screen very much, but maybe you can do some other color test for the "Sonic the lost land 2" text.

Did you make some checklist for gameplay bug report? Maybe I can help with that if you want...

19. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    The title screen is pretty good, but...

ADD SOME SHADING TO THE 'SONIC THE HEDGEHOG LOST LAND 2' PLEASE!

20. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I suggest putting "THE LOST LAND" a bit closer together. That gap bothers me, so if you want a gap, you should use it for all spaces. I would also suggest darkening the purple that is supposed to be shading. It is too bright.

BTW, good game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.