Sonic the Hedgehog Plus

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hivebrain, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    I was going to release this for Christmas, but I had to tidy a few things up first, so this is a New Year release instead :P. The main things added for this version are new acts for GHZ and MZ, and a few new objects. Jungle Zone and the save feature have been removed until the next version for some reworking.

Download here

Features:

=====================
    Levels
    =====================
    Extra act - Green Hill Zone
    Extra act - Marble Zone

=====================
    Objects
    =====================
    Giant rolling ball (Green Hill Zone)
    Collapsing blocks (Green Hill Zone)
    Spiked log (Green Hill Zone)
    Heat shield (Marble Zone)
    Magna shield (Spring Yard Zone)
    Splats enemy (Spring Yard Zone)
    Scuba shield (Labyrinth Zone)
    Boss hit counter (only in GHZ)
    Spindash dust
    Skidding dust

=====================
    Misc.
    =====================
    Spindash
    Insta-shield
    Expanded level select
    Title screen updated
    Sound Test and Options menu
    - Turn spindash on/off
    - Change number of lives you start with to 1, 3 or 5
    Press A in debug mode for shields
    Bugfix - Green Hill Zone tunnel death
    Bugfix - double spike death (by drx)
    Bugfix - wrong animation when jumping next to a solid object (by Stealth)
    Bugfix - "Broken" Marble Zone pillars have been fixed

=====================
    Known bugs
    =====================
    Sonic is in front of the logo on the title screen
    Some minor graphics problems in Kega (and possibly hardware)
    Spindashing monitors and some enemies at close range doesn't work
    Lava geysers in MZ4 only work when they first appear

2. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Awesome. Thanks Hive. Happy New Year.

3. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    Very nice but I noticed one issue, when you have the invincibility activated and press jump button for a second time in mid air the invincibility turns off for insta- shield and then doesn't come back. The music plays but his invincibility and the stars are gone.

4. Bowser

Bowser

Texas
    Music, Art, Photography, etc
    Oh, it's beautiful. Especially the lovely rolling ball. ^_^ But, would it be possible to maybe spice things up a bit? As in, the ball would be able to hurt you or something? Because, If it pushes you all the way back, there's a bug that will take you to the very end of the level. And what I really love is how far the 'jump shield' stands out. Excellent job, man.

And one more thing; Once you have invincibility, And you do the jump-shield, it goes away

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty nice Hivebrain, although I found another bug involving the insta shield. If you use the insta sheild while you have an invincible sheild on, the invincible sheild disappears and that music plays until the end of the act. Besodes that though, I don't see any thing wrong with it really.

EDIT: Ah, someone beat me to it :P

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Nice! Small thing I noticed, though - if you let the big ball in GHZ1 oush you too far left, you'll wrap around to the end of the act.

EDIT: This was brilliant!

[​IMG]

7. Bowser

Bowser

Texas
    Music, Art, Photography, etc
    Sorry tweaker, I beat you to it. :P

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    That doesn't happen in Genecyst or Kega. I'm quite sure I disabled instashield while you're invincible.

Shortcut?

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I also noticed a corrupted frame in the insta-shield - this seems to be why the animation looks a bit jumpy.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Spindashing right next to a monitor also keeps you from destroying it.

Reading is cool.

10. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    It works when using Gens + its odd that it happens though. Also great idea putting loops in the new MZ act, I don't think I've ever seen that done before.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
  12. Nicholas Onimura

Nicholas Onimura

Lurker Member
    Friggin' awesome. BTW, I noticed something. In Labyrinth, if you have the Goggles, get hit underwater, and lose the Goggles, Sonic will still be able to breathe underwater. I noticed this when bubbles didn't come up from Sonic and I didn't hear the "warning" sound. You'll breathe normally if you emerge then submerge again.

-Nick O.

13. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I have to complain about the insta-shield because it's missing a few important things it did in Sonic 3: It's supposed to expand the collision radius. It's supposed to give you control of your jump after rolling, even when you have invincibility. It's not supposed to let you avoid damage from spikes or lava or anything after hitting the ground. If you don't consider those important, fine, but I think it would improve the hack to make the insta-shield feel more like where it came from.

Also, I know it's not a bug, but when I think of how to improve Sonic 1, removing the nonsensical speed limiting is the first thing that comes to mind, and that hasn't been done here.

The new Marble 3 was great.

14. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    A bug. When you skid during the level results screen, the skid marks overwrite the VRAM of the numbers.

Also, Marble Zone 3 rawked my sawks off.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The spindash dust graphics interfere with the end of level result screen numbers.

Other than a few bugs that have already been mentioned, this is great! I especially love MZ3.

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    The level results don't appear until after Sonic runs off the screen.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Jump right before the results when off the right side of the screen and sonic can stay during the results. :P

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or perhaps he can fix that bug.

19. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

To back up what other people have said, Marble Zone act 3 was brilliant. The closest thing in a hack I've played to the actual games.
    I prefer it to the original act 3, in fact. :P

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    Marble Zone 3 is great. But I noticed that the boss music started to play right after the points were counted. For a few frames, of course, less than a second. But it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.