don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog OmoChao Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Nov 12, 2011.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I know it's the point of it but to me it's too much even to the point where I don't want to try another go at it. It's good work what you've done but it's not for me.

2. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Perfected GHZ and MZ1 at the minute. It's annoying but enjoyable somehow.

That said, I'm so OCD I haven't even touched other levels as I'm wanting to perfect *everything*. :v:

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Hey guys, a v1.2 will be out soon with some (quite) major changes. Bugs have been fixed, and SRAM has been swapped around a bit. Don't worry, old files will work and be converted to the new format, but the previous version didn't save times, even though it was meant to. Whops. It'll have saved times of 30 minutes for all your levels, unfortunately, but it'll keep your ranks.

There might be something extra fun in there too.

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Make sure you include a bug fix for the bats in MZ Act 2: http://oi42.tinypic.com/fxf1cn.jpg

They seem to use the same graphics as the rank meter at the end of a level.

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Suggestion: make omochao say "If you press forward, you can move forward". (and/or press backward to move backwards, whatever)

Like, if you stay in place for too long.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    NO

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I considered silly things like this at first - "You jumped!", "You walked to the left!", "You didn't press anything for 10 seconds!" - but the point is it's still meant to be playable. Yes, the messages are annoying, but it is still possible to play as there is an actual challenge to the hack.

Initially there were none of those OmoChao-free sections or removed rings in Spring Yard or Star Light, and it meant par scores of around 20 or so due to the amount of things you had to get. I was even considering changing the time limit to 90 minutes to compensate for this (and I still might, as people seem to be getting time overs more often than I thought :P), but then I realised that would be less fun and worked out a way around it.

If this were an April Fools "ha ha let's be annoying" hack, then maybe. But it isn't, there's a point to it, and an actual challenge to those who enjoy it, with a large enough penalty that people want to avoid it as much as possible.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That would be better left for an "Achievent unlocked" hack. =P

I don't know... If just being annoying is not your aim for it, the same concept can be used in a way that's actually enjoyable to play. For example, you can just keep the game running and just make the timer lose some more seconds each time Omochao's words appear, or at least making it skippable at the press of a button. Else it's good as a joke, but obviously unplayable as a game.

9. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Possibly, seeing as so many people seem so adamant about it. We'll see.

10. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Oooh I like this!, well I hate omochao but I like the challenge of it. Also lol so many sonicretro screens.
    Edit: Sometimes you can collect a ring and omochao won't say anything.

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    But the entire concept of Omochao is to be annoying, unless you are a 3 year old and this is your first videogame ever.

and this was meant to be a reference to a comic I CAN'T FUCKING FIND right now.

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    You're thinking of a flash short, and no it wasn't.

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    OK, found it:

[​IMG]

It's like stuff disappears from my image folder on its own nowadays.

edit: there was a flash short? link me plz.

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtPZWLqTHU

Has a horrible quality though.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This please as it will make it more playable.

16. BystanderLC

BystanderLC

I've noticed that on the video when Omochao speaks, the timer is still running. Did you intend for that to happen? Nevermind. I saw someone else mention it.
    But yeah, if getting the player to absolutely hate Omochao isn't your goal, keep the game running. I think the sound is annoying enough.

You could make it a score system where Sonic starts with x points, but he loses x amount of points for every message.

But if Omochao hate is your goal, you could make like a Nintendog effect and have him evilly cover the screen at times, or have him hover in front of Sonic's face.

You could also have him sitting around everywhere as he did in Sonic Advance 3.

I can't help but imagine a Tails Doll version of your hack.

17. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    After playing this for a fair while, I can't see the fuss :|

Probably because my highest score so far was like, 12, but still, I'm taking it all in good humour.

18. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    After this I don't know if I'll be able to listen to the 1UP jingle anymore!

You succeeded at annoying me, so your efforts are shown. :v:

19. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    what's the highest pitch it can possibly go to?

20. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    My sanity has never been damaged this much before. Spectacular stuff.

Though there have been moments where all of the pallettes screw up and turn very dark when some events happen such as the invincibility being used up, or finishing Spring Yard with a Gold rank. This makes it very difficult to see all the action amd what I'm about to run into, but at least the issues go away when I exit the Act. And if it's not been reported already the bird backgrounds in the Special Stage need fixing too.

And a pointless little suggestion: How about adding in a special cutscene for getting all of the Perfect ranks where Sonic finally gets an opportunity to destroy Omochao? =P