don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Sonic Retro's resident IDW slut Member
    Britain
    Art...always art...
    Although I’ve been on board with the book since day one, it’s extremely gratifying to see praise like this for it because I think it means that the book is really starting to come into its own for a lot of people. I hope that it’ll soon hold the same kind of position in communities like Retro that the Archie book did.

Anyway, for those unaware, the first part of Scrapnik Island releases today, so I’ll probably add to this post later to share my thoughts on it.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Art...always art...
    New issue is out today. Cubot is a Hatsune Miku fan. That is all.

Jokes aside, here are my thoughts on the new issue and Scrapnik Island #1 since I forgot to post them before:

First issue was pretty much setup really. Nice art, and some intrigue with the sunflower and some intrigue as to whether it’s Mecha Knuckles behind Mecha Sonic’s going rogue, but we need to see more clues. At any rate, it’s nice to see so much classic material brought back to the table, hopefully it opens up the door for the book to take further advantage of a confirmed single timeline. Also, I guess this makes the Forces Death Egg the Death Egg 3 or 4?

So this went down pretty much I predicted it would, with Kit assuming the worst of Sonic when he sees Surge is still alive. Surge abusing the Wisp powers is a treat and it was nice to see Sonic tap into them again to show her how it’s done. When will Whisper stop suffering though? :(

Also, I feel like Kit’s finally starting to come into his own in terms of why Surge would keep him around. They’re both damage in their own ways but I’d argue Surge is a lot less stable and really needs the support in her emotionally compromised state, which Kit will give to her unconditionally. This is probably going to be what takes their bond from an artificial one coded into them by Starline to a genuine, fire-forged friendship between them, however twisted and dysfunctional that may be.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Fourth, after the original Death Egg, Sonic the Fighters' Death Egg II and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II's Death Egg Mk. II, Sonic Battle's Death Egg would be III. Technically it's the fifth one.

Sonic Drift 2 also features a Death Egg, but let's assume that it's the original and not another one, which would make Sonic Forces' the sixth one.

I really don't know why Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II had to make a Death Egg Mk. II instead of, I dunno, the Time Egg...

4. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Art...always art...
    I feel like the answer has been said enough at this point: for the most part, the series didn’t develop with a view to tapestry of perfect continuity, leading to these snarls. Battle ignored Fighters (implicitly, at any rate) and Sonic 4 ignored them both. Honestly, I’ll give props to Forces for not sweating the details on this and making things even more of a headache. That is to say that the writers don’t need to commit to numbering each Death Egg (especially when doing so could cause even more confusion if they’re meticulous about taking even the obscure games into account) - we’re capable of counting them ourselves.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Except they numbered two, and used the same number instead of using a codeword to differentiate them. But I feel this is a topic for elsewhere, so let's leave it be.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Art...always art...
    I was agreeing with about how numbering it is more trouble than it's worth but okay.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry, I was pointing out the writers had numbered them, but I've misread the context.

8. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Any expectations for Scrapnik Island #2 and the Tails' 30th Anniversary Special? They are both coming out on Wednesday.