don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    glad to hear it as long as Ian knowes to keep Mobius Mobius (or Sonic's World, Sonic's world)

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    10's out. Metal Sonic is giving Goku a run for his money on super forms now. It's getting a little silly how much "Dragonball dragging" is happening with it.

Blaze throws a big fireball and I like that.

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    [​IMG]

Until he throws his love affair with Sonic Championship back in the ring...

4. Jason

Jason

11 is out. Look at Knuckles' perfect punum and have a good day.
    [​IMG]

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I guess Sega didn't tell IDW that Team Sonic Racing was delayed, because there's a one-shot out for TSR. Decent read.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well that was already done and on their release schedule, plus this game barely has any exposure as is so this might not be the worst timing.

As for said issue? It's an advertising comic. It's literally just like the Sonic All stars racing transformed and the Sonic Olympics comics from the Archie days.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The TSR comic is something that belongs in a manual. The art is nice, as to be expected, but it's the most pointless and uneventful story imaginable. It's a glorified tutorial. Every mention of the games mechanics is incredibly forced. But at least it told us the name of that new Wisp, I guess? It's called the Jade Ghost. I wasn't too far off thinking Phantom or Spectre.

8. Jason

Jason

IDW Annual 2019 announced

I dunno exactly what an "annual" is in industry jargon, but it looks like it's some sort of special rather than a compilation. Uekawa is doing a cover, so Tangle and Whisper get "official" artwork :v:.

9. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    Annual basically just means, "here's a one-shot comic with a bunch of one-shot mini stories by a bunch of industry creators that mostly have zero impact on the actual story."

Most books do this yearly (hence the name) but they can be good testing grounds for newer artist/authors to be brought into the series later in the production. Sometimes, they use the annual to bridge some outlying info for major story lines, like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2018 Annual did for Shattered Grid. But, seeing as James Kochalka is tied to the project, I'm sure it's just going to be silly/cute stuff that have nothing to do with what comes month-to-month.

10. EmerlForgotten

EmerlForgotten

Sonic Music Curator Member
    Though I wasn't a big fan of how short-lived Neo Metal Sonic's super form was, I have to say that Metal Overlord's presence was really imposing. They had to straight up crash an airship into him just to make an opening. All in all, not the best story arc in the Sonic comics, but a pretty good introduction to the characters and what their role is in IDW's canon.

11. Jason

Jason

12's out. Everything's wrapped up, Eggman's back, we got a new Macguffin, and Rough & Tumble dab & circle game. Now that Forces is truly done, it'll be neat to see what can actually happen in this world.

12. It seems they have three different covers. One of them is the Uekawa cover.
    I pre-ordered all the variants so that I have all the cover variations
    Overall I really like what IDW are doing, the quality and art is exceptional, for a comic. The story is not that strong though.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They finally finished their 1st real story, I'd say in a year or 2 this comic will feel more developed.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I can't tell what animal Dr. Starline is supposed to be. At first I thought a duck or platypus, but if so he would have a clearly delineated beak. Someone help me out here?

15. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    He's a Platypus.

16. Jason

Jason

I honestly though he was a gecko. He doesn't seem to have a beaver tail like actual platypi do.

17. The correct plural is "Platypuses" not "Platypi" (Even my browser doesn't recognize the latter as correct) Also, please no beaver tail. I'm sick of that whenever a platypus is featured in non-Australian media.
    [​IMG]
    And here's what their skeleton looks like. (Monotreme skeletons are nothing like any other mammal's. For one thing a platypus has venomous spurs on their heels. Echidna's spurs lack venom though)
    [​IMG]

18. Jason

Jason

Took a risk on the plural being like cacti. Ah well.

Though it's not leathery like beavers, that's a flat tail. He's got a Knuckles tail, and the pronounced nostrils make him look more like a reptile like Vector, rather than a bill like Bean.
    [​IMG]

19. Powpuck

Powpuck

He has webbed digits, and a distinctive hump at the base of his leathery rostrum. My guess would be platypus. Maybe yapok, but not really, especially with the lack of auricles, which is characteristic of monotremes.

The resemblance is stronger than with Knuckles and actual echidnas. Or Sonic and actual hedgehogs. Not really to my tastes, honestly.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Which is kind of funny seeing as how the Sonic comics have had a Platypus in them before and they looked like this:

[​IMG]

But from that design you can definitely tell they were going for "Dr. Finitevus 2: Electric Boogaloo/Ken Penders can't sue us now"