don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Hay guys, I have a nice GHZ-only demo for all of you to grab and enjoy of my rom hack/reprogramming, now called Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition (for obvious reasons).

So, what's new? Well, here be a screenshot guide to the entire thing. :P

* You'll start off at the SEGA screen, as usual, but instead of the usual "SEGA" voice, there's a music in place of it to emulate it. This is due to the SEGA sound not sounding at all good through DAC. :x

[​IMG]
    * Next we have a new screen altogether, advertising this place. :D The tune is Space Harrier, as some may recognise, created manually using the small tune of it used in Rent-A-Hero as a guide.

[​IMG]
    * Title Screen. Crackers background, new copyright text. That's it. Oh, and don't try the level select or debug cheats, they're both disabled (and unneeded in this demo).

[​IMG]
    * And so the playable stuff starts. :D You start here, at the entrance, and get a choice of whether to go to the save slots, or the options. The options aren't really there yet, and is really just for testing out some stuff..

[​IMG]
    * .. see? Two boring buttons. They change the current music playing's drums though. :P

[​IMG]
    * Shown this before, but showing it again anyway. :3 Shows you the layout of the save slots and where to go for each.

[​IMG]
    * Maybe now everyone will understand what this button does now it's labelled. ;P

[​IMG]
    * This is a save slot, a signpost and a giant ring. Obviously, jump into the ring to enter it. You can see the score, continues, lives and emeralds of the level with the HUD change.

[​IMG]
    * To delete a save, you press the button so Sonic turns grey and jump into the ring of the save slot you wish to empty. It'll appear again in a second for you to re-jump into to start a new game.

[​IMG]
    * Green Hill map screen presents you with this upon entry.

[​IMG]
    * Save area, void of a save ring right now as you haven't gone past a save post in an act yet. :P

(.. continued in next post due to image post limit.. )

[​IMG]
    * Over the map are warp rings leading to each act. There is also a signpost to show completion. Robotnik's face means you have yet to complete the act, whereas Sonic's means you have.

[​IMG]
    * Green Hill Act 1, nothing much new. :P The timer has a centisecond counter added to it, ala Sonic CD, and also added are the Spindash from Sonic CD and the Super Peel-Out from Sonic CD, including the sound effects for them. Also added in the sound effects department is a new one for a 10-ring monitor.

[​IMG]
    * And here's the save post for act 1. Touch it..

[​IMG]
    * .. and it spins and sparkles, playing another new sound effect. Also now shown is a small "Save" icon by your lives, showing you that you have got the save post for the act. If you die, the save post stays got, so you could get it, die, and complete the level normally if you so wish and still save.

[​IMG]
    * If you complete the act with the save post got, you'll get an added Save Bonus of 25000 points at the end of level tally.

[​IMG]
    * So we return to the map, and it's now evening. :P

[​IMG]
    * Save area has a save ring there now, as we got the save post. So jump into it..

[​IMG]
    * .. and we've saved.

[​IMG]
    * A quick look around the map area, here's act 2's entrance..

[​IMG]
    * .. here's act 3's..

(.. to be continued again! XD)

[​IMG]
    * .. yes, spikes on the map. It is possible to die out here. :P

[​IMG]
    * Before you can continue to the boss (as the bosses are no longer going to be on Act 3) you have to complete every act. There's a nice checkpost for you here too. :P

[​IMG]
    * Just a screenshot showing you what a completed act's sign looks like.. and it's night time now that act 2 is complete. :3

[​IMG]
    * All acts done, and it's early morning in Green Hill. ;P With all three complete the wall opens up and you can continue to..

[​IMG]
    * .. the boss act's entrance! :D

[​IMG]
    * Bosses are played on act 4, and whilst they will be proper mini-levels eventually, in this demo there's only a straight run, three rings and a save post, and then straight into the boss.

[​IMG]
    * Sonic beating Robotnik, nothing new here. :P

[​IMG]
    * With the boss complete, the map opens up further, leading to..

[​IMG]
    * .. another warp ring! XD This one will eventually take you to the next zone, but for now all it does is end the demo with another new screen..

[​IMG]
    * .. this one. ;P

Well, I hope you enjoy Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition. I suppose you peoples want a rom link now..
    http://cinos.gunsha.com/s1built/s1built.zip

Comments, critique, bugs, etc, please do post. :3 Enjoy.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You were supposed to let me do the Sonic CD sfx. D:

Other than that, nothing new for me. Nice work. ;P

3. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Wow!! Just...amazing!! Of course I haven't played it yet but it looks just fantasitc. Must go download now...

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Love it.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ohhhhh, I love it! Extremely professional.

6. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    This is awesome!!! I love you.

Edit: Rofl. Engrish. And I found a bug: the old double spike death bug.

Also...
    [​IMG]
    Just an art bug on getting a continue in a special stage.

7. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Awesome dude. I can't wait to see the rest of this.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think I have fallen in love with you. This is one of the best hacks I ever have played. MORE PLZ

9. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
  10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Have your babies? Nah.
    Very impressive though! Can't wait to see more.

11. Jimp

Jimp

Art in Sonic 1
    Wow, this is awesome. Can't wait for more. ;)

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Damn amazing. =P

Are you looking for any bug reports for this release?

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I am. Known bugs so far are the special stage results, a spindash/super peel-out bug where if hit when charging you can't move, and a now-fixed erasure of slot 3 meant deleting slot 1. :P

14. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Maybe its just me, but something seems weird about the camera.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I understand you're going for the Sonic CD feel, but please put in the Sonic 2 spindash. It's so much better. :P

Other than that, gorgeous work. I'm loving it.

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Not really a bug, but when you're gray scale Sonic, and are doing the super peel out, you are not entirely gray scale. There is some yellow on his shoes.

Also: (Notice the "2" on the signpost)
    [​IMG]

I am really loving this, I already completed it three times.

17. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    This demo kick so much ass. I love it. I love the options and Sonic 3d blast sound effect from Sega Saturn from the special stage. I like the ending too. Keep up the good work! =P

18. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Oh dear God my splooge is everywhere.

Thanks a lot. :P

19. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    This is some pretty awesome stuff. Good job! Keep up the good work!

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Amazing, Sonic CD camera and all. Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.