don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Felik

Felik

Got to the Luster Lake and got stuck there.

This game is very glitchy, looks like I gotta wait till newer revision.

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    im downloading right now and gonna give it a try later. Can't wait to play it! good job Hez :D

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So what setting did you alter to allow the game to save to your computer?

4. Titan

Titan

UK
    Gonna download when I get home :-)
    But yes, what do you have to change to get the game to save?

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  6. sonicyoda

sonicyoda

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    My old ghost are still compatible, so here we go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Didn't save for me.

My only complaint is that I had the default controls. ASD. I like ZXC better. Anyway, some of the music doesn't loop. especially when paused.

9. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Speed shoes music is still buggy.
    In the second special stage, I've been too far on the right and I got stuck (screen locked)
    I won a life in the bonus stage (the one where you're falling) and the music didn't restart.

10. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I have not tried yet but it might be something as trivial as running the .exe as admin, I'll give that a shot on my first time playing and edit this to see if it worked or not. Obviously for the people that didn't think to run it as admin.

Edit: Running the .exe as admin definitely worked for me, although it might not be running as admin that fixes the problem as I said I never encountered it just tested it out for the others.

11. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    The game seemed to save fine for me.

Hez, so far the game has been very fun. There have been a few level design quips here and there but that's understandable from having to do it all on your own.

My biggest problem is the game slows down when I touch rings. XD

12. sonicyoda

sonicyoda

This.

Also, the stages with heavier parallax run really slow in the full version. However, I have no such problem in the No Music version.

One other thing, if you run off screen at the end of a stage you still have control over Sonic. However, if you run back into view the game goes on auto-pilot and sends you off screen. I ussume there's some sort of activation that only happens when you're visible. You should probably fix that. Just a little problem, I know.

13. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    So...something weird happened. Finished Crystal Caverns Act 1 w/ the Fire Shield, then went to Act 2. When I got to the special stage, I somehow obtained the Fire Shield again. Problem is, that Fire Dash made completing the stage impossible (2nd Chaos Emerald) and I managed to get completely stuck on one side of the stage after attempting to jump. Afterward, I got my Fire Shield back, but as soon as I got hit by a Fireball, I lost it.

Although, this glitch did help later on. Electric Shield really came in handy. XP

Also...gotta say, that Special Ring + - in Gigaopolis is a bit of a dick move. I mean, really? Over a bottomless pit? C'mon, man...  

I am enjoying this game though, no doubt. A few places where I was caught off guard, but other than, great game.

14. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Yes the same thing happend to me with losing the fire shield to fire and as well as the issue in the special stage, it appears the fire shield is somewhat glitchy atm.

Edit: Alright here we go, I've only encountered 2 bugs so far and I'm already at Aqua Arena one was game breaking and has been already mentioned. In the crystal cavern at some random points my game would lag REALLY hard.

As for the rising lava section in act 2 I think you should change the way the camera flips out, at some points it was really hard to see what I was doing.

The second glitch was in Aqua Arena, I got to a point where I was repeatedly bouncing at here, apparently the screen didn't capture exactly what was intended but if you know where this is, I was unable to break free and had to shut down the game.

[​IMG]
    Level Design

As far as feedback goes, I am really enjoying the level design, it feels and plays like a good ol Sonic Classic as it should. There are a few asshole areas that I think could have been better introduced (heres looking at you crushing ice bricks in fast paced areas of Crystal Cavern :argh:) As well as quite a few walls were annoying when you're going fast and they halt you to a complete stop for no reason. Sometimes the reason was obvious such as a harder platforming area, this is fine but at some points I'd be halted completely just to go into another *speedy* section. I REALLY appreciate the fact that you didn't use an endless amount of insta-death holes in the ground for your platforming sections. As much as I like difficulty, I never liked the fact of being able to insta die for one mess-up.

Badniks

I feel you introduced the harder badniks pretty early, harder being the ones that upon jumping on would instantly hurt you. In fact by Gigapolis you had exploding badniks that weren't even hittable. Might be a possible bug as they look the same as the bomb-heads in crystal cavern but upon spinning into them I would still lose my rings. I really enjoyed that custom badnik that'd spazz out with a beam of ice, quite enjoyable to see and somewhat of a bitch to get by.

Bosses so far

Bosses are very interesting and fun to fight, although it seems the Hazel Hill and Crystal Cavern bosses were a bit too easy. I would suggest making you able to take damage if you have the fire shield on the Crystal Cavern boss because with it, I just ate all the attacks and kept on smacking Robotnik. Speaking of fire shield this may be a bug, the jumping flames that come out of lava count as a hit when you have a fire shield, now correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure fire flying out of lava counts as an attack that should be blocked by the fire shield.

Special Stages

I am quite impressed at the work you put into changing the special stages however I have an issue with them. For the special stage while your freefalling you definitely put in WAY TOO MANY 1-ups, I could get up to 4 lives in one special stage, as you can see by the picture I had 30 lives dying only twice throughout the game, I feel that is way too many for a first play through. Also in that special stage the spikes are extra *asshole* as you have no immunity to being hit upon bouncing on top of them. I had a shield and fell on top of one, bounced and lost my shield and before I could recover bounced on it again and lost all my rings and then again luckily upon losing your rings you get at least 5 back before bouncing again. That is quite the evil mechanic there and honestly sometimes if I get that special stage I just try to grab a bubble and hold on one side to get out of it so as to not lose all my rings and shield. Gathering chaos emeralds my opinion is varied, when you're on that rocket it's pretty easy and it gives you about 200 rings. (too many extra lives!) Where as the platforming one is a total bitch to prefect.

Closing Notes

Overall after only playing for an hour and a half I can safely say that this is MUCH more enjoyable than Sonic 4. The level design while questionable at time is pretty awesome in my opinion, although I do like platforming a lot more than raw speed so I'm a little biased. This is most impressive for a first release and definitely was worth waiting all this time for, heres to hoping you make more content but obviously not to be expected for a long while if not at all. Also the fact that you actually finished a fan game instead of scrapping it is noteworthy in itself considering not many hacks/fan games see the light at the end of the tunnel of what could have been.

Here is how I would rate this game as an actual review.

Camera and Gameplay: 8.5/10 Camera was a little annoying to get used to and of course some glitches in platforming were obvious but very smooth and most needed, CONTROLLABLE.

Level Design: 8/10
    While questionable at times with awkwardly placed walls instead of ramps, sufficient amount of asshole tactics that keep the game fun. (spikes in a fast area and reverse springs)

Enemies: 9/10
    Bosses are very varied so far and are fun. Common badniks while being a pain at times get the job done indefinitely and most importantly there's not too many of them unlike in other hacks/fan games.

Sound & Music: 9/10
    Sounds were pretty much the same as Sonic the Hedgehog - S3&K so I can't complain, what more is there to say than it all sounds good. However the music I really enjoyed, currently Crystal Cavern's and Aqua Arena's music is memorable for me. I am SO GLAD that there was no ear-rape in this fan game, as for the rest of the music so far they are definitely good and fit the levels quite well.

Overall: 8.5/10

I hope you found some of this feedback useful.

Edit 2: GOD DAMNIT, upon pausing the game the game froze entirely, upon restarting the game my save status had been erased. No biggie too fun of a game to just quit over that, but please do fix the pausing it has a direct effect on losing save files, as to why I do not know.

TL;DR
    This fan game is freaking awesome and well worth the wait, play it, PLAY IT NOW!!!

15. dsrb

dsrb

Downloaded, will play once I've got today's quota of dumb ‘real life’ stuff out of the way.

16. Titan

Titan

UK
    Having had a royally shit day where I discovered my work hours would be reduced (AGAIN), I'm hoping this will cheer me up a bit...thanks for the mirror, Chimpo.

17. sonicyoda

sonicyoda

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I can also confirm that checking 'Run as admin' in the compatibility settings gets the game to save.

Haven't played much yet, but seems great so far. My only gripe so far is the game slowing down when you collect rings - it's pretty jarring.

19. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    (Somewhat offtopic)
    I'm curious, what kind of recording software would work with this game? I was going to alert Pokecapn of this game (if you don't know he does MANY Sonic LP's and does them well) with a short paragraph about it with a vid however the two I use (fraps and CamStudio) are giving me huge trouble with FPS lag and lack of audio. My apologies if this is too offtopic, just tryin to help get Hez's game a little publicity for the obvious work put into it.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This game runs too slow for to be enjoyable. Bummer. Still, I did have fun for a while!

EDIT: Scratch that. I restarted it and it runs like a dream. The heck?