Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Just beat the game with only 1 Chaos Emerald. Will go through again and get all 7. Out of curiosity, do you achieve the "Beat the Game" secret only after beating the game with all 7 Chaos Emeralds? Or did the game just not save and I had to quit and restart during the credits? And <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'> is there still that sunken Death Egg level in the game? Is it unlocked when you beat the game with all 7?</span>

Now for my final review. I loved the game in and of itself, but it was far from perfect. It lacked a bit of polish I was hoping for, but that could have been due to MMF rather than oversight; I know a lot of work went into this. Still, I encountered tons of little glitches; only a few times did I have to quit the game to start over, though.

My earlier complaints still stand after finishing it. Aqua Arena's decorations, I feel, should be a little differentiated from platforms, as they are difficult to determine from each other, which besides personal preferences, is the only thing aesthetically that I took issue with. Beyond that, I still hold to my earlier complaint of weird level order... why does Sonic fall from Hazel Hills to Crystal Caverns? It makes no sense, and its one of the only times a between-level transition takes place. It would have made more sense for him to fall into Luster Lakes or Aqua Arena, since you hear a splash after he falls. A couple of times it seemed that you wanted to be similar to S3K in between-level and mid-level transitions, but when they happened they felt random and unnecessary. The only time it worked brilliantly was at the end of <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Robot Rave 3 when the bomb goes off, leading to Death Egg, then when you go from the giant Egg Machine to the giant Silver Sonic.</span> if that same amount of consistency went into the entire game, I feel it would have felt like a much more complete package. As it stands, though, Nack felt a bit unnecessary.

In the end, the game felt a bit short. The majority of my time was figuring out how to get through Luster Lakes; the rest felt pretty darned short. Not that this is bad, per se, but I was hoping for a bit more to it. You made a good decision adding all of the extra bonuses, though, because I'm going to be going this game again and again at least until I unlock <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'> Bridge Zone</span> :P Like I said before, the difficulty was perfect, but the difficulty curve felt a little clunky, but overall not a game breaker. It just didn't feel extremely organic.

In the end, I'd give it a 7.8/10.

2. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=570387:date=Mar 19 2011, 07:05 PM:name=Adamis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adamis @ Mar 19 2011, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570387">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWTgT712pFU" target="_blank">Watch this, starting at 1:40</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was only comparing to Genesis games, haven't played much of the Master System and Game Gear games. And yes, I do know that the Game Gear/Master System Special Stages suck ass due to the restriction of budget, team, programming and etc. But that doesn't excuse a non 8-bit game that came decades later to do Special Stages as restricted, simple and boring as them, even if it is a fan-game. Plus the Sonic Chaos one actually works better because Sonic actually breaks the monitor when he jumps on it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeaIPt32co" target="_blank">Watch this too.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh. I dunno if you're trying to say that the Gigalopolis boss is exactly the same than this boss (it isn't!! If anything, the Gigalopolis boss is an extremely simplified version of this boss) or if the Quartz Quadrant boss doesn't follow the design. If so, that'd be wrong. That boss requires you to keep running to make the threadmill work, while still being able to dodge the bombs that Robotnik throws at you. If you don't have much skill, you'll have to stop to actually dodge the bombs, making the threadmill stop and taking longer to beat Robotnik since you'll have to accelerate all over again to damage Robotnik. Or being hit, which would also make the threadmill stop for a bit. It does follow that design quite well.

<!--quoteo(post=570394:date=Mar 19 2011, 07:10 PM:name=Jayextee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayextee @ Mar 19 2011, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570394">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdAbKxi190" target="_blank">this boring bastard</a> in everyone's favourite, Sonic 3 & Bumholes. Classic's bosses aren't that far removed from what we've already been seeing. I have no problem with them; with the exception of Luster Lake, but that's only because I have to play a lot of game just to get back to it after losing my lives on it once. Long first act is long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now THAT actually is a reasonable argument. That boss doesn't require any skill to beat it faster, just a bit of skill to beat it (or let it kill itself, w/e) without damage. But then again, Sonic 3 & Knuckles had like, three to four times the amount of bosses of any other Sonic game so far, so that is sort of excusable.

3. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    So my save has 105 challenges, the "75 challenges" secret won't unlock, so I don't know what it is, it's the "90 challenges" secret that was unlocked instead. Tried the <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Boss Mode, jumped over the first teleporter, and the screen won't let me jump back on it. I'm stuck. I pressed Enter and the "C button" which got me back on... the level select screen (what ?), in which are shown all the levels of Sonic Classic and all the levels of Sonic 1. If you select a Sonic 1 level, you'll get an error screen (which looks like the special stage screen from "Sonic 1 and Knuckles") and the game will crash.</span>

Also, the "Destroy all the badniks" challenge of Hazel Hills Act 1 seems impossible, it looks like there is an invisible badnik which I can hear but can't see. You can hear it when you take that vertical red spring that sends you on a bridge above.

And the "Destroy all the badniks" challenge of Robot Rave Act 3 won't work properly, you can't complete it.

4. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

IL, USA
    An overly ambitious retro platformer
    Well, I just played through and beat this, and it was a blast the whole way through. Didn't run into any game breaking bugs-- perhaps a few cheap deaths, but nothing too stupid. Great fun to play! My biggest complaints would probably be the slightly varying music volumes (and the fact that most of the music is stuff we've all heard before) and sketchy controller support, which I solved using Joy2Key. Not your fault, just MMF being stupid.

Unfortunately it didn't save, but when you release the updated version that fixes that I'd be glad to play it through again!!

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Has the full version with music been re-uploaded yet?

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <a href="http://classic.robotpuke.com" target="_blank">http://classic.robotpuke.com</a>

The first post really needs to be updated with all the mirror links.

7. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Squandered Potential Member
    The music doesn't want to work for me.

I'm somewhat sad. Game saves seem to work all right for me though.

8. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    <!--quoteo(post=570507:date=Mar 19 2011, 11:05 PM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Mar 19 2011, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570507">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeaIPt32co" target="_blank">Watch this too.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh. I dunno if you're trying to say that the Gigalopolis boss is exactly the same than this boss (it isn't!! If anything, the Gigalopolis boss is an extremely simplified version of this boss) or if the Quartz Quadrant boss doesn't follow the design. If so, that'd be wrong. That boss requires you to keep running to make the threadmill work, while still being able to dodge the bombs that Robotnik throws at you. If you don't have much skill, you'll have to stop to actually dodge the bombs, making the threadmill stop and taking longer to beat Robotnik since you'll have to accelerate all over again to damage Robotnik. Or being hit, which would also make the threadmill stop for a bit. It does follow that design quite well.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm genuinely confused. Have you ever played Sonic CD to the end, or are you just doing guesswork on that particular video? Quartz Quadrant's boss destroys itself naturally as well, as the treadmills work even if you're running or not, and that's why the spikes are there on the left. Just in this game, instead of bombs, Robotnik drops himself on you. Saying that Gigalopolis' boss is an extremely simplified version of that boss is an overstatement. You must keep running and then jump to avoid bombs in QQ, and you must keep going left and right to avoid Robotnik from stomping you in Gigalopolis. Both are extremely similar.

9. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I got 2 new glitches for ya, doing a speedrun of Hazel Hill upon going really fast I noticed that I landed flat on top of spikes but I seemed to have just walked over it, sadly I can't replicate it with a screenshot.

The second glitch was in the Crystal Caverns, after doing a really quick spin-dash and jump I overshot the platform I was going for and fell right into lava. However, I did not take damage! I immediately jumped and then the second time I landed in lava I did lose all my rings, it might be a bug but it seems when going really fast upon landing on hazards you wont take damage immediately. It appears the engine might be lagging behind? I am not sure though I will do more testing tomarrow.

10. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Anyone know any reason why I'd have low framrate on this? I really want to play this. I have a good PC, was emulating PS2 just last week. It even had low framerate on the SEGA logo screen.

11. NeonSynth

NeonSynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Würzburg
    Betatesting, Various hacking projects, programming synthesizers, music production
    Dunno if it hasn't been mentioned yet, and I don't really want to read through the whole thread, but as I went to the challenges screen, 6 challenges have already been cleared for no reason.

Also I have low framerate. Is it because I only have 1 GB RAM? :(

12. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    If these bugs/nitpicks havn't been mentioned already, if I switch the game to full screen, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of taking it out of fullscreen midgame. Also it would be nice if the game remembered my settings when I next open it up, like gamepad settings, screen size settings etc.

13. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    It has been mentioned before Demi, but the good news is theres a way around the full screen. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that if you Alt+F4 it will save your data. It is no means intended but still able to give you full screen experience while being able to exit when you want. I also agree I hate having to reset up my Xbox360 controller button setup every time I turn the game on.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    <!--quoteo(post=570639:date=Mar 20 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Fuzedknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fuzedknight @ Mar 20 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570639">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been mentioned before Demi, but the good news is theres a way around the full screen. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that if you Alt+F4 it will save your data. It is no means intended but still able to give you full screen experience while being able to exit when you want. I also agree I hate having to reset up my Xbox360 controller button setup every time I turn the game on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you using the wired controller or one of them key assignment programs? My wireless one refuses to be detected.

15. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    <!--quoteo(post=570642:date=Mar 20 2011, 05:37 AM:name=Ell678)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ell678 @ Mar 20 2011, 05:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570642">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=570639:date=Mar 20 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Fuzedknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fuzedknight @ Mar 20 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570639">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been mentioned before Demi, but the good news is theres a way around the full screen. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that if you Alt+F4 it will save your data. It is no means intended but still able to give you full screen experience while being able to exit when you want. I also agree I hate having to reset up my Xbox360 controller button setup every time I turn the game on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you using the wired controller or one of them key assignment programs? My wireless one refuses to be detected.

I am indeed using a wired one.

Also AHA I FIGURED IT OUT.
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the bad photo. The way this bug happends as Sonic just dies for no reason in the special stage, occured EXACTLY after I had failed the fourth Chaos Emerald stage but I accidentally went too far to the right and triggered the signpost to complete *act 1*. This is the first time I ever triggered the signpost and then immediately after this bug happends? They are DEFINITELY linked together, hope this helps you Hez.

Edit: This is playing on the version that Chimpo linked a few comments up. I'm going to start a new game and just hold right until the end of the Chaos Emerald stage one and then trigger another bonus stage hopefully getting the one in question. Will post back on here ASAP.

Edit 2: Only took me 8 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    100% confirmed, puzzle solved :thumbsup:
    Now just extend the levels as far as you can or just put up a wall so people can't go past the signpost like in Chaos Emerald stage 2. Problem solved!

Edit 3: I would also like to point out that on the version that Chimpo linked, I have not gotten one second of lag even at the place where it was worst for me. The rising lava in Crystal Cavern act 2. Whatever you did Hez, thank you!

Edit 4: Sheesh gotta stop editting.
    <!--quoteo(post=569648:date=Mar 17 2011, 06:30 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Mar 17 2011, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=569648">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm at work. Can anyone tell me the fastest time for both Hazel Hills in this release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw that no one responded to this but being a bit old, my best time is 0:32:57 for Act 1 while still getting the chaos emerald stage at the starting of the level.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How can I change the ini file to have all the challenges unlocked? I want to see them but I don't really want to do them (half of them seem impossible)

17. dsrb

dsrb

Since some people have said the Special Stages are boring/easy… I haven't played far enough to judge that, but I did think the old concept looked really good: the level with rainbow platforms, where you had to hunt for the emerald (IIRC).

18. The special stages (SS2 in particular) break when you have the various insta-shield powers (Especially fire). Might wanna disable them for special stages.
    I keep having weird problems with my game not saving every now and again, too.

19. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=570575:date=Mar 20 2011, 03:31 AM:name=Zenor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 20 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570575">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=570507:date=Mar 19 2011, 11:05 PM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Mar 19 2011, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=570507">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeaIPt32co" target="_blank">Watch this too.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm genuinely confused. Have you ever played Sonic CD to the end, or are you just doing guesswork on that particular video? Quartz Quadrant's boss destroys itself naturally as well, as the treadmills work even if you're running or not, and that's why the spikes are there on the left. Just in this game, instead of bombs, Robotnik drops himself on you. Saying that Gigalopolis' boss is an extremely simplified version of that boss is an overstatement. You must keep running and then jump to avoid bombs in QQ, and you must keep going left and right to avoid Robotnik from stomping you in Gigalopolis. Both are extremely similar.

Oh woops, my bad, I was sorta sleepy when I typed that out and I totally forgot that the threadmill still works if you're not running, but if I recall correctly, if you're not speeding up the threadmill he won't be able to be effectively be destroyed. Still, even if he can destroy itself without you speeding it up, it still does follow that design, because the more you run on it without stopping, the faster you'll defeat it, and that requires a bit of skill. Gigalopolis' boss just doesn't... It's either just too easy or too cheap (oh boy do I regret calling it easy on my first post, now it just screws me up a lot), and in either cases, it's a really boring boss :I

But anyway, I've been enjoying it a bit more now, even though those points I said previously still persist a tad. But I'm just unable to go anywhere further Aqua Arena because of the bug with HCZ's hand thing and the fact that the game just doesn't save for me.

20. Deef

Deef

The game doesn't save if you restart or game over. Only way to save is to quit.

And yeah, what happened to the colourful special stages we saw in earlier screens?

And worth repeating that someone who downloaded the slightly updated version from Chimpo's mirror has found no lag, but did with the earlier version. That's the version I have and I've also never had any lag issues.

Oh yeah, came here to say loving Robot Rave. Er lol.. random spinning silver ring in the middle of a normal game.