don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

I think that’s possible... if Perfect Chaos isn’t included (and defeated) in the Knuckles tv show.

2. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Okay but like...is that even allowed?

4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    No chance in hell would Disney of all companies include a cameo/character like that if they didn't have legal clearance to do so.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    Well, Paramount and Disney had an agreement to keep Sonic in Ralph Breaks the Internet, so it probably carries over here as well.

• List
  6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I'd argue there's a difference, in spirit, between using game Sonic as a cameo in a movie about video games and transplanting the Paramount original design wholesale.

Idk Disney pretty much owns copyright law they can probably get away with a lot of things.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Images courtesy of reddit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go poor clorox in my eyes and pretend everything's gonna be okay

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • List
  9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Here are the scenes he's in. I dunno if there's really anything spoilery in here, but I'll spoiler it just in case.
    That was pretty great. Going to watch the whole movie later today. I was already going to, but this adds some extra 'oomph' for me.

EDIT: Disney already blocked the clips. Oh well, the movie literally came out this morning, so it'd be weird if they didn't.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  10. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I love how the arts behind him have a similar vibe to Ken Penders artworks.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I suspected as such. This movie (series? idk) was already cynical enough, but it just deflates me to see people defending Disney doing this in the tweet replies.

12. This just makes me even more thankful Paramount fixed Sonic's design and I'm certaily happy what we have right now, because oh God, that thing is a nightmarefuel.

13. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    This movie makes the 2019 design look almost cute in comparison.
    They didn't even change that much, I guess the beer belly and lesser quality fur simulation really does make a big difference.

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    My god, it's beautiful. Glad that the design we deserved is still getting some mileage.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    More clips are showing up on YouTube and
    he actually shows up during the climax as part of the FBI to help take out the villain.
    I'm cracking up pretty hard right now. I want to watch the movie now, and I probably could since it's a slow day, but nah, I'll be a good pawn and wait until I get home from work.

I mean...of course it's one big jab at the original design, and it's still a bit hideous, but this has made my week. I was also thinking: they make sure to call him "Ugly Sonic" each time and technically it's pretty far from Sonic's trademarked design, even more so than parodies in other media have been. I wonder if that's at least partially why Disney was able to do this without crediting SEGA or Paramount.

By the way, we're starting to veer off topic a bit since this cameo or whatever you'd call it is separate from the "Sonic Cinematic Universe"; should the Chip N Dale Sonic stuff be moved to the 'Other' Knowledge thread?

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah it probably falls under parody fair use law, much like how South Park is able to get away with using Mickey Mouse without Disney putting up a stink.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

If someone wants to move these comments or something fair enough, but I don’t think it’s going to spawn too much conversation and it’s technically related to the movie Sonic stuff. It’ll be a flash in the pan.

I just saw Chip ‘N Dale, because I thought the trailer looked good. I have to say I think it was a really good film. If you like cheesy cartoons, and the concept of cartoons in the real world, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, then you’ll love it. Actually it really is a spiritual successor to that film.

Also, the Ugly Sonic cameos are fantastic, I thought he was one of the highlights of the film. Man, am I even more thankful that they didn’t go with that design, even if they did ugly him up a little more here.

Talking of South Park, there’s one or two characters to spot in certain scenes. They really have a whole host of characters from a bunch of franchises.

18. MH MD

MH MD

Nah, since Ugly Sonic is actually a crucial character to the movie's plot, i would say that "Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2022" is an important part of the Sonic Cinematic Universe.

but seriously, the movie was actually good, had a great fun watching it, and Ugly Sonic surprisingly worked well here, not just a cheap easy shot joke like i was expecting, but fitting well with the world and narrative of the movie, and + - basically saving the day in the end, they somehow managed to redeem ugly sonic,it's amusing to see all parts of the original sonic movie are now redeemed  

The movie in general managed to have as many references as it could from various media, while not being distracting and overbearing to the main plot, and also respecting the original show legacy*, it's kinda incredible

Also i don't believe i have seen Disney being this comfortable with the way they handled it's characters here, they straight up made peter pan a villain for example

*although some people have strong opinions on a certain....shipping, cant's say i don't see why they don't like it, it's really weird

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will definitely watch it again. I was really surprised to see Randy Marsh just chillin' there after all of South Park's jabs at Disney in recent years, and one of my favorite references/gags was an ad for Senator Butthead on a bus bench. I did not expect to enjoy this movie nearly as much as I did. There are lot of great references, but they seem like they belong rather than being thrown in (such as a brief scene with He-Man and Skeletor).

I wonder how this would have done in theaters rather than being sent straight to streaming. I would have loved to see this on the big screen.