don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Flare

Flare

Actors always feel much older because we all each have our own ‘image’ in our heads of when we saw them.

I know the cast of Friends are now in their 50s but I always think of them being in their 20s

That said, Jim does a LOT of physical acting in this.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It turns out that a cinema near me is going to premiere this movie on the 6th, I just got tickets for me and my girlfriend. Too bad I'll have to watch it in Italian, but I'll make sure to obtain the English version at a later point in time like I did with the first one.

3. Frostav

Frostav

I am currently watching the first movie in preparation for the second and I have to admit it's kinda weird how much faster they made Sonic compared to the games. Like, Game!Sonic is fast, but on the level of a jet plane or something. Movie!Sonic from the first hour of this movie is like exponentially faster and can move at literally relativistic speeds. You could say that that's because the games have to be played by us mere humans but even in cutscenes Sonic is not "go so fast he can do like 20 things in a crowded bar before even a nanosecond has passed for everyone else" speedy.

Like, holy shit, Movie!Sonic would blow through Eggmanland in Unleashed in like two seconds XD

4. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    That entire scene is a rip-off of Quicksilver's scenes in the X-Men movies. I think the motivation of the filmmakers was "we want a scene just like those Quicksilver sequences in our movie" rather than "we believe Sonic can really move this fast."

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    sonic is really just the flash in the movies, pretty uncreative

6. But somewhat understandable given Movie!Sonic is a big fan of and an avid reader of The Flash.

7. Frostav

Frostav

Also I'm not so certain of his characterization--I don't know where they're getting this idea of Sonic being a flighty, impulsive, ADHD guy who constantly gets distracted and sidetracked. Game!Sonic was always very focused and collected, either classic or modern. He was a wisecracking smartass BECAUSE he always felt in control of the situation and didn't have to take it seriously. Here he's...actually a smartass who keeps idiotically throwing himself into danger for no reason.

I GUESS there has to be character development jesus man stop doing stupid shit!!!

8. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    the canonical justification for sonic acting like the flash has nothing to do with the design choice of making sonic act like the flash

9. Movie!Sonic is a literal superhero fanboy, to the point where he moonlights as Batman. Is it kind of hard to believe he'd style himself after the Speedster superhero?

Now if you're talking about on a META level, well then I got nothing there. I would agree it's derivative of The Flash however.

Its a lot easier if you look at Movie!Sonic as an entirely different character from Game!Sonic....ya know, because he is.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2022
  10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sonic in the films is just a completely different guy than the one from the games, and I don't think that should be a controversial take if it is seen as one. S'just facts.

I mean, I get differences in interpretations between media, but going from Game!Sonic's "self-confident aloof adventuring nomad that cares about freedom and snarks at most authority" to Movie!Sonic's "soul-searching super socially dependent kid who loves heroes & cops and is super family/hometown centric" is like night and day.

He keeps the "do quips, pose cool and reference the games" part which I guess is all normies and the less invested care about, but it doesn't shake off the feeling that this just isn't Sonic in the traditional sense. You could always chalk up this as it being where his game personality is something he's got to character-arc into, but from what I know of this new film I don't believe that's going to happen.

It definitely feels like they wanted to retool the character to be much more relatable to modern audiences, which I'm sure was their angle (superhero backstory, woobie qualities, pop culture references and all), and it seems it worked for most people! People love this new Sonic!

I
    just can't get with it though, lol. If you do, cool, I ain't stopping ya. But I just can't. That ain't the Sonic I dig, and I think that's the main thing that's stopped me from enjoying these films. Well that plus his blue arms and proportions. He's fuckin ugly man, redesign or not

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  11. That's completely fine, and I agree too. If this was supposed to be the Sonic for the new age in the games, then I'd share your alienation (probably some felt about Modern Sonic from Classic ironically ) but this is like reading Archie for me.

Its so blatantly different from what I know and doesn't even try to pretend to be like its source material, so trying to think of them as the same character feels like its missing the point. These movies aren't trying to be like the games, just interpreting them differently.

Incidently, I watched the first movie again yesterday and I'm seeing the sequel tonight. Yea my feelings on it more or less are the same; a serviceable enough film for what it was trying to do, but definitely nothing stand out.

I'm surprised how much more I appreciated Tom and Maddie tho. Its rare to see a functioning adult relationship in a Hollywood movie, a functional interracial relationship at that. Its surprisingly progressive without being overtly so. Kind of makes me sad to hear they've mostly pushed to the side in sequel, even if I understand that's what fans complained the most about.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://fb.watch/cdkyJH-d-9/

Seems like Japan opted out of the Kid Cudi song in exchange for Dreams Come True's Green Hill rendition with lyrics.

I get why they wouldn't go this route internationally as unfortunate as I feel about that, but did the main tracks for both movies have to be rap? Save for some Knuckles songs Sonic's never been associated with rap and I really don't like that genre of music.

Even if this Sonic is different than what I grew up with, that video made me feel really nostalgic. That reminded me of the Sonic I knew

EDIT: OK so I guess that Kid Cudi song is pop. Regardless, not my style

13. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Stars in the Sky isn't rap, though. It's about as pop as current music gets. Cool if you're not into it, but it isn't rap.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    No spoilers, but Sonic in the second movie reminded me of Sonic in Colours. I guess that, while they (movie and videogame Sonic) start from different points, they share the "Sonic for kids" archetype that isn't my Sonic as well, but I have nothing against it either since Sonic is made for kids.

15. Every Sonic is made for kids, yes even your Sonic. Because guess what, most of us were probably kids when we all got into Sonic. Crazy I know.

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    It's because Movie!Sonic is a child. That's basically the gist of it. Games!Sonic is a cocky teenager and Movie!Sonic is a literal child. I'm pretty sure if I had speed powers at his age, I would also be wrapping people in toilet paper at Ludicrous Speed and quoting Sailor Moon while standing on a dimly lit roof. :V

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    You know the one shot of Knuckles crushing Stone's hand where Knuckles' tracking looked a little janky? The same shot's in here, and it's been fixed. Just felt like throwing that out there

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    You definitely nailed why I also can't get into this specific version of Sonic.

Maybe this is a bold claim to make but I feel like some of this goes into a point about the stronghold that Marvel Cinematic Universe movies have on the film industry right now and how this impacts the thought processes behind other films. It feels like they're definitely making these Sonic films as if they're Marvel films and I guess this is the crowd they obviously wanna appeal to.

Marvel films have a lot of what I call "#awkward humor". This is the "umm did I really just say that?" "err that sounded better in my head" "well that was a thing that just happened" type of humor. It's so corny to me but I swear I see this humor in so many generic hollywood-flicks nowadays lol

For Movie Sonic I get the impression that re-tooling his character into this socially awkward wimpy kid was probably the most straightforward way to get this type of humor out of him lol

I just don't know what their long-term gameplan is with this "Sonic Cinematic Universe". Are they really gonna take the MCU approach and crank a new one out every single year? That seems like a recipe for a film franchise that's doomed to get stale and critically despised very very fast.

idk if it was obvious or not but I'm not really a big fan of MCU films or their approach to cinema so the idea of a Sonic film series that takes heavy cues both in style and execution just doesn't appeal to me I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Truner

Truner

Just got back from the movie and it was really good. While the first movie is essentially a safe kids movie with a good Sonic and a Eggman in it, this was actually just a straight up, unhinged Sonic movie, even if it's still based on the first one and therefore has quirks (the child-like Sonic for example).
    So many really cool stuff, so many stage-like locations and action, Jim Carrey was once again fantastic and the trio was really good as well. Dare I say, this is THE best video game movie released so far. I can only hope the Mario movie is going to match up to it. I'm also glad they let Sonic be the cool dude with a tude more than before. There are some really cool show-offy scenes that I'd expect from the character.

Also the cinema had this amazing looking standee and I absolutely can't get enough of how good it looks.

Attached Files:

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I won't post any spoilers so I can post here, it's a nice movie, it gets many things right from the games, and I'm sure there are many others in the original dub, which I'll make sure to watch as soon as I can.

Also, like in the first movie, there are some continuity errors, and I can post this without spoilers since the wedding scene was in the trailers: the bride magically changes shoes between high heels and sneakers and vice versa from one shot to the next one. Not a big deal? They literally show a close up of her shoes at one point, how could they not notice that?