don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Board Games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cube, Feb 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Cube

Cube

Wales
    I'm a big fan of Sonic games, and a big fan of board games. I've set myself the challenge of playing as many Sonic games as possible, including board games.

I have a bunch of the newer ones in my collection:

• Sonic the Hedgehog: Battle Racers (2018). A big Kickstarter board game with a lot of figures. Lots of rules.
    • Sonic the Hedgehog: Crash Course (2018). A simpler racing game.
    • Sonic the Hedgehog: Dice Rush (2019). Quickly re-roll dice to collect card to make the best Green Hill Zone,
    • Sonic Battle: The Search for the Chaos Emeralds (2022). Haven't played this one yet, looks like you have to flip over tiles to find emeralds.

I also plan on getting another new one called Sonic Super Teams soon. There are also some Sonic version of other games

• Monopoly: Sonic the Hedgehog Collector's Edition (2013)
    • Memory Challenge: Sonic the Hedgehog Edition (2013)
    • Monopoly: Sonic Boom (2015)
    • Monopoly Gamer: Sonic The Hedgehog (2019)
    • UNO: Sonic The Hedgehog (2022)

There are also a bunch of older ones which are long out of print, so aren't easy to get.

• Sonic the Hedgehog Game (1992), Milton Bradley
    • Sonic The Hedgehog Card Game (1992), Matell
    • Sonic The Hedgehog: The Card Game (1994), Waddingtons
    • Sonic The Hedgehog: 3D Action Game (1994), Waddingtons
    • Sonic X Trading Card Game (2005)
    I've managed to find both of the Waddingtons ones for not too expensive, so they're on their way to me. These are games I'm interested in trying to preserve, so I managed to track down someone who had the 1992 game and they sent me some board photos. I made the tokens myself, where I had to track down original art and made modifications myself. There's a token called Sally Acorn, which is a recoloured image of Ricky with a bow added. I couldn't find some of he badniks in the right style, so I picked other ones (Caterkiller and Crabmeat replacing Spikes and Batbrain). I then made the game in Tabletop Simulator.

[​IMG]
    You have to read the rules and play it yourself (there's no scripting), but the board does have snap points so the Sonic figure and the tokens will snap to it. The workshop link for it is:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2929776130

I plan on making versions of the Waddingtons ones (although I'm not sure I have the skill to make the 3D model for the 3D one). I'm also trying to make a print and play versions of them all, but getting the print files sorted and the right sizes is quite difficult.

Next up is the Mattel card game. I've found some alright images of the cards. I've not found a rulebook, but I have found a blog where someone describes the game, so I'll attempt to work out the rules from that.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I can assist.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Omg that 92 Sonic board game my neighbor had that.

From time to time I think how my life would’ve been had said neighbor owned a SNES back then. At the time he was a Sonic fan I highly doubt he would be now. I could’ve been a Mario fanatic

4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    You'd be Shadow Mario on the Mario Forever forums

5. Cube

Cube

Wales
    Thanks, I'm still waiting for it to be posted and need to check out other dexterity games to figure out if part of the game is even possible to do in Tabletop Simulator. If it goes well, I'll PM you.

I've sorted out the next few games:

Sonic the Hedgehog Card Game (1992, Mattel)

[​IMG]
    For this one, I had to use imagery found online to recreate. I was also unable to find the full rules, so the rules are the closest approximation from the descriptions and playthoughs I've read. I also created extra player boards to help sort out the cards. One thing I found interesting is that this card game is based on the Master System version of Sonic, with Bridge Zone and Jungle Zone.

Sonic the Hedgehog Card Game (1994, Waddingtons)

[​IMG]
    I took the photos of my own copy for this one. This is a fairly standard card game with some pictures of Sonic on some cards. You draw cards one at a time. Picture cards go in the middle of the table and then you stack the 1-7 card on them. If you can play, you draw again, if you can't, you place it in your discard pile (which then becomes your new deck). The aim is to get rid of all your cards first. Most of the time, you only have one option available to you, so there's not many choices you can make while playing.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I sometimes think the same thing. If I had gotten a Nintendo like I asked for instead of a Genesis for Christmas maybe then I wouldn't constantly be disappointed at my fandom.

7. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    You would've been asdfmario, and you would've still been disappointed, except this time in Mario

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I haven't looked at the rules set yet, just references of the board to see what I would need to model. What exactly do you think would be a hindrance? Seems doable so far. If they can get mousetrap working, I can't see why this one would be a problem.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    New board game announced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not much info revealed other than what's on the box and a sign up page. It's a single/co-op game lasting 30-60 minutes. Game theming is based off classic Sonic. Tracey Yardley provided the cover art. Seems like the materials use Sonic Mania artwork and stock Classic Sonic merch art. Not much original material. Looking at the Kess website, the game looks similar to their previous video game tie in, Mega Man Adventures.

The game is due out in January 2024 and there will be a demo at their booth in PAX Unplugged this December. They're attempting to get limited stock for attendees.

Buyer beware, from what I've seen, Kess doesn't have a good reputation in shipping out their pre-orders. I saw a lot of pissed off people about not getting their Mega Man and Contra orders.. Probably best to get these from big box retailers or Amazon once their pages go up.

10. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Wait a single player board game?

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Those exist, yes. A lot of multiplayer games come with solo play rules. Some of the horror stuff really leans into it. The Final Girl series is strictly single player for example. Sonic Roll looks like it supports a single player mode.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  12. Neat, a board game thread. Y'know, the manual for MB's Sonic game is still up on Hasbro's website. Can't find the page, but I think I might have a copy saved in the cloud. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Update: Looks like the only copy that I have is on a broken phone that I no longer have. Sorry, folks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023