Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Special Stages

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I started playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as Sonic. Of my many years playing Sonic the Hedgehog 3, I have never scored a "perfect" on the fourth special stage. I have scored perfect on all other S3K special stages though. I tried some different sphere patterns to collect all rings in this stage but I never had success with getting a perfect.

Anyone know how to do it?

[​IMG]

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Don't get the blue spheres in the middle as the last bunch. Otherwise the rings will fly away and you won't be able to get a perfect. The other rings can be got in any order as the 3x3 blocks are surrounded by 2 groups of 2 blue spheres which can't give out rings.

3. You see that part that you're about to walk into? It's like a square with two spheres each at two sides. Jump over one sphere on whichever one. There's a big spot in the middle of the level that has lots of blue spheres, outline this and they'll turn to rings. The part that I mentioned on the beginning, just outline the square inside. If you did it right then you'll just have one sphere left which was the one you jumped over.

I'm not sure how clear this is, I feel pretty tired right now so I'll edit this if you want me to.

4. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    There are lines of two blue spheres on both entrances, so there is no need to jump over them really because for when you free the rings there'll be still at least two blue spheres.

5. Graxer

Graxer

I just found a youtube video of how to do it. (I always had the same problem) I think its the only S3&K special stage that I couldn't perfect.

Sonic 3 Special Stage 4 - Perfect

6. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, España
    Various projects
    Whoa, for all my life I had thought you could only connect the spheres in squares, that's why I didn't know how to get the cross section done. Damn, you still learn new things after so many years...

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Worse fucking sonic special stages ever made, burn them!

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Monochrome Cat Game Guy™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    That's actually my favourite out of the S3K special stages. It's just the thrill of eliminating that 'cross' in one go to finish (When not playing for a perfect) or the general scattered layout of the stage. It's fun.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Other way around for me. Repetitive, but they aren't impossibly stupid like Sonic 1's special stages.

10. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I swear I've played S3&K so much the Special Stages are now stupidly easy. The same especially goes for Sonic 2.

Sonic 1, not so much. And I've played it just as much as the other games.

11. GagaMan

GagaMan

I wasn't even aware you could get 'perfects' by collecting all the rings too, wow.

12. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Wow, thank you guys for the tip! Thank you Graxer for the YouTube link too. I got it and I'm pleased. :)

13. 16BT

16BT

Drop out boy. Oldbie
    None that regard this place.
    That stage is so easy to get a perfect on, come on. Does this community suck at Sonic 3 that much? (first the CNZ barrels, now this) The only special stage I never bothered to try to get a perfect on was the Super Emerald stage that had the rings surrounded by bumpers surrounded by blue spheres surrounded by yellow spheres because it's waaaaay to annoying.

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    That one is actually a breeze for me.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Sonic 3's special stages were always the easiest—and most fun—for me to play through. Sonic 2's always gave me trouble and Sonic 2's was kind of boring, but Sonic 3 gave the player a great feeling of interaction, an incentive to plan up strategy, and wonderful graphics to boot. They're just well put together, really. :)

I'm not as good at them as I used to be, but I can still breeze through them pretty easily. That red and white special stage took me a while to figure out how to beat, too, until I figured out that all you have to do is run around the outside of the huge group of spheres to get them all. Sort of takes the intimidating factor out of it. =P

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Objection! The easiest are Sonic 3D's. But I have to agree on the following:
    I simply love S3&K's special stages. In fact, I always get a perfect in all 14 of them each time I play :D

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

turntablist, dinosaur goddess Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, the only one I don't dare get a perfect on is the blue one, I believe it's the 4th of the stages from S&K, it's just incredibly difficult for me. Although, so was the barrel in Carnival Night, so =/

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    Urgh. Perfects are only really easy on two or three of these levels. I'm not a huge fan of the special stages, but at least they're better than Sonic 1's =P

19. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    You also forget the fact that this specific group has bumpers inside the group. I wonder how the detection routine is done, it must be very complex to be able to work with, like, anything.

Pffft, the only one that is hard is the fourth from S&K and only because it's very error prone in the jumps (otherwise it's horribly easy too). Getting a perfect is very easy on the main special stages.

Now, the Get Blue Spheres minigame is a whole different thing. Some are horribly easy, but some simply are fucking hard as shit (including some maps that require you going backwards through 50% of the map if you want a perfect).

20. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Thankfully with the tips, I can now get a perfect in all stages, which in turn boosts my score. I'm currently searching for a second special ring in Hydrocity Act 2. So far, there is only one that I found and if I could find another, I would have all emeralds collected before the boss.

More tips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.