don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Why? It's still going to be a terrible movie that pisses all over existing canon.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh crap, that redesign doesn't look terrible! Let's start a campaign for bringing back the old design so that we can keep making fun of it forever! :V

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    An analysis in four pictures. Might not be considered related to the topic at hand. + - Or is it?  

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Haha, quite the apt comparisons! Indeed it's true, polishing a turd and spooning sugar from it does not stop the turd from being shite.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Much agreed. If episode 1 looked like episode 2 maybe we'd of seen an episode 3 lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Well, before the redesign I was gonna have to sit through a silly take on the Sonic franchise while trying not to vomit from looking at that atrocious design, and now I don't have to worry about the vomit part. A little bit of silliness might be okay, who knows?

I never cared about the Sonic canon anyway (and with so many contradictions, can you even say that such a thing exists?), I never read a game manual in my life, and the time when Sonic started talking was about when I stopped liking the games. I also never watched a Sonic cartoon, except for Boom, which I actually like and I don't mind it being different from what came before.

7. I mean, there kinda was a Sonic canon to some degree, as Adventure 1 made references to the Genesis/Mega Drive games and CD, and it expands on Knuckles' backstory and some of the history on the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald; SA2 made references to SA1 (Tails receiving an Emerald for saving Station Square from Eggman's nuke), Heroes and Shadow made references to SA2, Battle made references to both Adventure games and Heroes, Advance 3 was a follow-up to Battle's story, etc. The canon is very loose and messy, but I think they had some kind of canon at some point. The newer games just seem to do whatever though, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore anyway.

As for the redesign, it's a lot better, but I still hate the blue arms. It just looks wrong. They looked weird on Boom Sonic, and they still look weird here. The fact that they went out of their way to redesign the character, but still keep the blue arms is pretty baffling, imo. Will this improved design save the movie? No, at least not for me anyway. The story seems like a worse Sonic X, and even X managed to keep a lot of elements from the games. This is just a generic live-action kids' movie with Sonic slapped on it.

8. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

9. Holy shit it's not awful.

I'm genuinely surprised. It's a complete 180 on the trash of the first trailer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Flare

Flare

I feel the pain of all the work that has gone into this redesign, sure we still have jokes like "What year is it? Is the Rock president?" but at least it isn't a complete shambles.

Though... conspiracy theory... what if the original creepy design was purely there to create hype :V ... I mean the turn around was quick, his appearance in the reveal was less featured than this new one... and Sonic Team surely warned them of the community. :eyebrow:

It is how I imagine a film from the 90's era of Sonic to be though... down to the Jim Carrey. As a kid I would be hyped.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  11. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    That. was. Genuinely surprising. Guess you can polish a turd because the whole thing looks an improvement.

12. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I'm completely blown away by the trailer! And I'm genuinely excited to go see this movie as soon as it drops. :)

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    WOW. That is 1000 times better than the original trailer. Jesus Christ why was that other design ever there to begin with.

Delay worth it for sure.

Also this movie's Green Hill zone actually looks pretty damn cool. Idk why that couldn't have been the whole movie.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  14. Truner

Truner

The new model looks too good. Kinda makes me think the old one was only created to generate hype...

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Wow it actually looks...kinda good?
    I'm still skeptic tho. For all we know, they could've spent the last 6 month making a really cool trailer.
    Still not going to see it in theater, but I might actually pirate it.

16. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!

The Latin American trailer contains slightly different scenes, including the lines from Luisito Comunica that I translated earlier.

Sonic sounds more energetic, Robotnik sounds less so now. So weird.

17. Fadaway

Fadaway

Meh. Not my cup of tea and/or rum but it looks better design-wise. Keep in mind, I couldn’t even get into the old SatAM and AoStH when they came out because they seemed to make Sonic into something I never saw the character as being and this does about the same for me. Just the typical young American audience-pandering fare but that feeds their bottom line for sure so I get it.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    A full CG movie would have been better, obviously. Give Sonic to Marza with a budget, and they could have pulled off some cool shit.

What we have is much improved. I may actually see it, depending on reviews. I would no longer consider it child abuse if my brother took my nephew to see it.

19. Retroman

Retroman

Big improvement, actually like it a lot more

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ugh. What's with western adaptations' obsession with giving Sonic such an irritating, over the top personality?