don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I am just sick of referring to his current design as "Modern Sonic". Iizuka confirmed the next mainline game is in development at SXSW.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I've been wanting to see Detective Pikachu again (I need to do it with a bucket of popcorn this time, dammit; the line was just too long last time), and I think I'm going to go tomorrow afternoon, probably to a different theater under a different company. Granted, I'm in a pretty different area than you, OL. They played the Sonic trailer at a Regal on Saturday, so I'm curious if it'll be played at another theater a few days later. Not my reason for going, of course, but it's kind of a neat thing to look out for. A friend of mine knows the Regal manager, so I dunno, maybe I can score a pre-redesign poster.

3. Retroman

Retroman

I am not sorry
    [​IMG]

4. That's better. That guy has such a smug punchable face.

Gotta feel sorry for the cgi animation team. I bet they where all like 'what the fuck is this Sonic design they want us to do'. - I got a feeling someone on that team was like 'told you so' after they where asked to make changes :v:

5. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Sonic got a shoutout from Stephen Colbert a few weeks ago, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rKKpKI-rE&t=2m3s

6. The band playing Green Hill Zone's theme near the end is the best part. It even cracks Colbert up.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, I dunno. I know at least one person who bought Sonic Mania immediately after seeing the Sonic movie trailer and finding it horrifying, so you never know...

8. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Semi-related, be sure to point them in the direction of Sonic Mania Adventures and Team Sonic Racing Overdrive

Sonic Mania Adventures complete
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LYvO8eaWJNc

Sonic Mania Adventures holiday special
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UpfIblkRspQ

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive complete
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MgbngiiwihM

Just show them what we could get for a fraction of the movie's budget.

9. Refer to Sonic as you'd like I suppose, but you have to admit this was quite a misleading statement. "Adventure sonic" isnt even a thing, SEGA has only officially adopted the modern and classic Sonics and that's what most people refer to. When you say 'Adventure Sonic' you do realize you are referring to a very specific time in the franchise history, some 20 odd years ago. So for you to refer to that moniker without first explaining what you mean is going to cause some confusion.

Again, you're not on trial here, it's not that big a deal. But when you say "the next adventure sonic game" is in the works, you have to know that nobody is going to understand your personal definition when that term generally refers to something so specific in time. And many of us here I think like to dig and find out what Sonic Team is up to developmentally, especially in regard to the mainline games.

So no, there is no such confirmation that an adventure sonic game is in the works (that I'm aware of, and I'm basically always keeping tabs on sonic team's big efforts to some degree....which is why I asked you) We just know they have begun working on the next title, that is all. Call it boo boo sonic for your own sake, I don't mind that, but please be specific to others who are not aware of a definition that is not commonly accepted.

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Sorry but no. His current iteration is his Adventure redesign by Yuji Uekawa thus I'll refer to it as "Adventure Sonic". And if you're gonna drag the Adventure era into this, don't. It's my favorite era, I KNOW how pointless it is to ask for Sonic Adventure 3 or an "adventure era" Sonic game. That's why I just want another Shadow the Hedgehog game. At least that won't devolve into a "No True Scotsman".

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You're probably the only person I've seen refer to the design as "Adventure Sonic". Especially because Sonic's design has changed between Adventure, Adventure DX and Adventure 2. It's only been consistent since Unleashed.

Just saying, you're gonna deal with this confusion quite a bit if you decide to stubbornly stick with this nomenclature.

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Yeah but that reads less like buying anything Sonic out of a positive reaction to the movie, and more like buying a specific Sonic product as a means of a protest vote against it. (Not quite "buy Sonic 1 to protest against Sonic 4", but you know what I mean. :v:)

13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Isn't it just "Dreamcast era Modern Sonic"? What do we call Heroes' Sonic then? The fact alone that we have these nomenclature... :psyduck:

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's what I'm saying. Sonic's design has been consistent with only really minor changes since Unleashed, so when people say "Modern" everyone knows what that means.

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    If we're talking just generally, I tend to treat Modern Sonic as just "Sonic", especially in how SEGA use the character (branding, Smash Bros, etc.), and use "Classic Sonic" for the classic variation. Same as how Disney treat Mickey Mouse. Although I get it's definitely important to specify Modern Sonic when we're having a mainly Classic Sonic focused discussion.

I always find it gets a tad confusing when people try to enforce each slight variation of each Sonic into their own categories - By that logic, every different artist's variation of Sonic becomes a new branded hedgehog (ie: Classic Sonic JP, Classic Sonic US, Classic Toei Sonic, Classic Tyson Hesse Sonic, Adventure Sonic, Post-SA2-But-Pre-Unleashed-Sonic, Modern Sonic- )

If we're specifically talking about the nuances in artsyle, that's fine - but otherwise nah, two Sonics are definitely enough.

16. That's.....not what i was after at all.
    You can be a fan of whatever game you want and desire what you want. I also would be excited to see a remake of Sonic Adventure if it happened, it's one of my favorite games in the series. But that's not the point of my contention.

My point was that you are using a name to describe something that already has another name and not being careful or clear about it at all. Adventure Sonic clearly references the Sonic Adventure games to like 99% of people who have ever had a modest exposure to this franchise's history, whether you intend it to or not. The way you specified that thing in particular and then said SEGA is working on another game using that moniker, was done in a confusing manner. I can guarantee that nobody but you thought you actually meant "Modern Sonic" which is the "official" moniker of the character since 2011, literally by the company and head of sonic team who have said it innumerable amounts of times publicly. You may have a problem with the modern sonic title (I could agree with that in principle) and even choose to call sonic something else entirely to suit your preference. I'm fine with that, it's your choice. I would not complain about something that small and insignificant.
    But if you're going to do it, you cant just cross reference something else as widely known as the adventure games and then not explain what you're doing because nobody is going to know what you mean. This also matters because we're on a forum where we like to discuss what may comes next as the franchise's big games and rumors and the like....not to mention, Sonic adventure 3 is something that is sort of loudly and constantly clamored for from a particular part of the fanbase.

Imagine you telling some other diehard sonic adventure fans that another "adventure sonic" game has been officially announced for next year....then that person looks into it and finds out its sonic generations 2, releasing November 2021. Obviously they're going to wonder why you made that statement, or wonder at the very least if you're some sort of troll.

Again you can call it whatever you like, but if you're going to cross reference some other distinct name that has been conventionally adopted for the majority of people in that subculture, at least be clear about it.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

@Laughingcow, if Modern Sonic doesn't suit you well, maybe Current Sonic could do, somehow?
    It wouldn't be Adventure Sonic and would still fit into what Modern Sonic is.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, certainly, but a sale's a sale and that was the qualifier, so... =P

19. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Nope.

You are putting way more thought into this than me. The problem is that your thoughts on "Adventure Sonic" don't have anything underneath. It's the same mythical mindset that expects a new Adventure game to be this amazing thing when it was just Sonic Forces (which a ton of Adventure fans hailed as some kind of second coming then quickly backpedaled when they realized the game was crap). There isn't a real definition beneath it so I'm going to use the term for the simple selfish desire to stop calling the current iteration "Modern". It's gonna confuse some people yeah, but unless you have a better term, I'll keep using it.

Naw, don't like that either. "Modern" and "Current" are too subjective in that say Sonic gets redesigned like he did during Boom meaning he isn't current or Modern anymore. When I call him Adventure Sonic, I can point to Yuji Uekawa's design which won't lose its meaning with time. Wasn't a fan of "Legacy Sonic" either.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Then, Uekawa Sonic, I guess? It's just that Adventure Sonic really will confuse who doesn't know about that pet peeve of yours.

Or, you could try to come up with a more specific title yourself? I don't know, I'm just trying to help here...