don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Job description:

"Retweet comments concerning a teaser for a poster for a film".

Modern life is strange.

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I feel like I just heard this record played last year....

“Surely Sonic Forces is going to be playing this all up for laughs. Just look at Infinite, his design is a total clusterfuck. His song is deliberately over-the-top in edginess. It's a game where you can dress a Sonic character up like a mismatched clown with shades, against a war-torn landscape! There is absolutely no way they're taking this seriously! Sonic Team is just playing the same card that the Sonic social media have done!

‘They've been torturing Sonic for months’

‘None of this is good, Vector. That's why it's called war.’

....oh.”

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Does the tweet at least confirm that the redesign has gloves?

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

This was honestly my first thought too. "Please let this mean they're adding gloves."

5. Nova

Nova

This is what I've been saying ever since seeing the poster - it's Sony Pictures so is it really that far-fetched to think they'd cynically capitalize on people's reactions given that they already did just that with Ghostbusters 2016?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided during production that it was going to be terrible, but kept it on life support and kept making it to then make their return on that terribleness and people going to see it "to see how bad it is".

Maybe I've just given it too much thought though

6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Paramount Pictures bought the rights from Sony actually.

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    It took me a while to realise the nagging feeling I had when I first saw the poster. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then I read the latest Retro Gamer and was reminded.

[​IMG]

I think someone might be a student of the Cho Aniki vibe?

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Err, Has anyone shared this image yet, or did I miss this one out? Source here
    [​IMG]

9. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    wtf is wrong with people?

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Gotta go fap

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    "Satirical news".

12. Flygon

Flygon

Wait until you get a good dose of Monosodium Glutamate. :v:

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I just saw Wreck it Ralph 2 at the movies. What a wonderful interpretation of Sonic. And at the same movie theater I saw a poster for the Sonic movie with those god awful legs.

Jesus Sega leave it to Disney to present your own character right

14. Common Disease

Common Disease

This Sonic just doesn't look right. They tried to make him "Realistic", but, in my opinion, they merely made him look more like a generic cartoon.

Also, I wish the movie would be more like the Pontaff games in terms of story. As much nostalgia as I have for serious Sonic, I think that a serious narrative doesn't fit the franchise at all.

15. Fadaway

Fadaway

Everything about this is honestly nausea inducing. With Carrey in it, I had hoped for some real '90s love with Sonic, but this looks terrible. Here is an idea: surprise everyone by going with old Sonic 1 concept art and working from there. It worked in '91. Sonic fans don't give a shit about CGI fur. Will there be an interpretation of some of the zones, like Green Hill or Chem Plant? Possibly, but I currently doubt it. Even if so, it would take a lot to convince me. Why the fuck am I not directing this? I'd get it right. I'd cast Madonna for shits and jiggles.

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It'll be all quiet until early 2019 now but we'll see the revealed design then and a teaser trailer will shortly follow. I was holding on to a glimmer of hope they could be changing Sonic's design behind the scenes but with posters out in the wild that's incredibly unlikely if near enough impossible - particularly for a film that's already in the heat of post-production. So it looks like we might be stuck with muscle man Sonic. I'll still be checking this out - but pretty much out of morbid curiosity and because I like Jim Carrey. Prospects that this'll even be a modicum of good are just near non-existent.

I watched the Super Mario Bros. movie recently remembering that I loved it as a child and thought it was "so bad it's good" and really didn't enjoy it. As I've gotten older films actually have to be good now to provide entertainment and there's unfortunately about a 5% chance this film will achieve that. That said, still sort of looking forward to the trailer - even it's just for the reactions/discussion on here.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I spent my lunch break on Christmas praying to Sonic, while Matthew McConaughey looked on in disgust.

[​IMG]

18. Retroman

Retroman

XD
    Matthew McConaughey is saying "Serenity Now".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_s6EqOxqY

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    Yeah ok so I'm just obsessed a this point. :)
    The 'face' on the brightened image (left) isn't present in some of the versions of the ad and is most likely an edited addition for some reason. It barely even fits anyway, so back to having no clue.

20. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Slenderhog.