don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    For the love of god, please don't give any money to this dumpster fire.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The answer is clear: we all have to buy Sonic Mania two or three more times. :v:

3. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I get the feeling that SEGA doesn't like the designs either, but due to some contract or whatever they can't butt in that much with the movie's production or something along those lines. Only spitballing. Could be really wrong. I mentioned it earlier, but here's an article about SEGA responding to the Boom designs.

If Iizuka hated those early design ideas so much that he couldn't look at the screen, then I highly doubt he would approve of this.

4. If this is true, then no, it doesn't seem like Sega enjoyed the design very much:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Cybrid101/status/1072124187177861120

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    This right here. The design is fucking awful (and seeing Sonic's creators throwing shade of any kind at contemporary mismanagement is always hilarious), but I don't understand how anyone still had high enough hopes for this film to elicit such an impassioned response. Like, yeah, sure, a live action/CG hybrid film where Sonic "comes to our world" and becomes a better person because he befriends Officer Cyclops would just be so much better, if only Sonic looked more like he does in the also abysmal modern 3D games!

In other news, next winter's new Jim Carrey flick looks like it'll definitely deliver on the comedy.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Nobody expected the movie to be any good, but we were hoping they wouldn't completely destroy the title character's design. No, the fact it's live action doesn't automatically mean "realistic redesign", as a number of cartoon-to-live-action adaptations have proved.

And yes, seeing Sonic in his game design would have been an improvement. The movie would still blow, but at least it wouldn't have made me want to gouge my eyes out.

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I think this is a first for the Sonic Franchise. That something Sonic is so hated, even Sega Staff are against it!

8. I honest to God believe we need to protect our children from this. I have 3 nieces that are still 7-10 years old and have seen sonic already. One of my nieces has already played Sonic 3K and Mania with me. When I visit for the holidays I will reinforce what sonic is and then show them this in dramatic fashion like a horror story, and warn them to stay far away. This should be a Twitter campaign for "Sonic parents."

Lol don't let this happen to another generation guys. Protect your kids.

9. We haven't ACTUALLY seen anything yet and everyone's pissed, classic Sonic fandom. The truth is, Paramount shot themselves in the fucking foot by revealing Sonic's design this way. They didn't even reveal it, they hinted at it by showing a silhouette. Compare this to Detective Pikachu, Legendary didn't start their marketing campaign by showing Pokemon designs, they kicked it off with a full trailer that shows us the world, the characters, and the story. They sold us on the idea of live action Pokemon by showing us that these aren't just designs, they're real creatures that live in a real world. Had we seen a full trailer with story and characters, maybe a little Jim Carey as Robotnik (all media points to them calling him Robotnik in the movie), a little Jean Ralphio as Sonic, some of the Cop Guy.

First impressions are everything, they could've showed a trailer and people would've dunked on the design sure, but there would be more to discuss. Jim Carey is a great actor and definitely has the cartoonish energy for Robotnik. Shots of Sonic running super fast and dodging obstacles and breaking down robots would be cool.

10. Gryson

Gryson

I think that's part of it, though. They were too clueless to realize how this reveal would backfire. That doesn't inspire confidence that they know what they're doing with the property.

11. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    The feeling of different approaches between something like this and Detective Pikachu (Which are basically doing the same thing) are every evident.

DP - OK some of these are gonna look weird, let's just get them out there so people can adjust to the weirdness.
    Sonic - Let's just tease it and keep it hidden as long as physically possible.

This isn't the way to get people on board

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was wondering... Isn't there at least a faint possibility of this just being a joke, taken from a scene where a human runner is wearing an actual Sonic costume?

13. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I don't think it's Sonic Man

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Oh, I never said anything about spending my hard earned money to see this dumpster fire of a film :ssh: . Thinking about it more...this was a bad choice for Jim Carey.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea but at this point does it really matter what Jim Carey does? One dumpster fire won't be the end of the world for him.

Hell he might be the only good part of the movie.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    A: Welcome to 1998, where they completely destroyed the title character's design. Only difference is this isn't being touted as the main and primary (and, at the time, sole) design going forward.

B: What difference does it make? I'm not being facetious here, someone please explain it to me in excruciating detail. This movie was unanimously expected to be a dumpster fire from day 1. Either Sonic's shitty modern design would have dramatically improved things, somehow, or its absence isn't that big of a deal. Either the design makes a ton of difference, or it doesn't. The fact that everyone had negative hope for this movie, despite expecting the standard modern design, shows that it makes next to zero difference. And, yet, the overzealous reactions to it give off the impression that the standard modern design would have made this huge difference or something. Does not compute.

People have compared this to Dragon Ball Evolution in the thread, and they're right: it's trash; and just like with Dragon Ball Evolution, the fandom is way overreacting to how trash it is. A contemporary live action Hollywood re-imagining of a classic 80's/90's Japanese nerd/geek property looks like ass and completely misses the point? News at 11.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Is Jim Carrey really gonna play as Robotnik?
    In an Anime News Network article about this latest nightmarish reveal, it stated that Carrey was simply gonna voice Robotnik...

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Says you. I've always been perfectly fine with Modern Sonic, despite having been a fan since the classic era. I never found myself wishing that Sonic Adventure used the classic designs, or joining the "bawww green eyes" crowd. Shocking, I know, especially given my avatar.

If people are "shocked" by recent news, it's because nobody expected Sonic's movie design to be THIS disgusting. It's that simple.

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I second that, and I also want to add that I'm not sure how we're overreacting. I mean, what are we supposed to say?
    That it look bad, but not too much?

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

I also didn't overreact. First, it'd be better to see Sonic in full, alongside a trailer that gives us a glimpse of what the movie may truly be about. Then, the whole world can burn in hatred.